Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 11:47 AM
958e39f56 is infamous around these parts
Yesterday I changed TC oil as a DIY, used OEM-63 oil with new plugs. I found some very tiny metal and black (Maybe from clutch) flakes from old oil (after 40k Mi of new warranty replaced TC).
I have Just driven about 20 miles only but can not feel the symptoms anymore. Also feels much smoother on the corner. I will keep checking the condition.
Thanks a lot 'deilenberger' and all members here.

Before I started this DIY, I was worried if I made a crack on the TC as others did. So I made a stopper ring for the TC plug that indicating the position of factory installed plug for install used new plugs as same as possible with old TC plugs.
I have made a short video about 'how I installed the plug safely' with the condition of TC oil after 40k Miles.
After I did this I also can understand why need new plugs for every TC fluid change. If re-use the old plugs, the plugs need to be inserted much deeper (I think about twice) to make seal for remains on plug.

If anyone interested in DIY and worried about re-install TC plugs here is the link of my DIY job.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:49 PM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
i just changed mine today too at 44k miles, oem fluid and new plugs, although i think i could have reused the old ones. my fluid color looked similar to video above. i tried to use a torque wrench set to 13lb fts but it seems like it was too much, so i just did it by feel. car shifts much smoother now, especially downshifts in sport mode. i didnt realize how rough its gotten, car drives very smooth now. i wasnt really having failure symptoms, just changed it as preventative maintenance

Old 01-10-2018, 07:33 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Thought I should mention it here. At the moment I don't recommend Ravenol be used. I changed mine from the "63" Porsche fluid to Ravenol before leaving for California to visit with my son.

With about 4,000 miles on the Ravenol it's started doing the occasional rough shift into 3rd, and sometimes a clunk when getting off the gas and back on it.

So before I head for home I hope to have Porsche fluid back in it. Went to Pelican Parts and picked up a liter and two new plugs.

If anyone knows a good mechanic in the San Fernando Valley area, please let me know. Or someone with a driveway and some low ramps, and the Allen key for the plugs who would like to help out. I'll buy the beer. ?

Last edited by deilenberger; 01-11-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:26 AM
jayi836 is infamous around these partsjayi836 is infamous around these parts
I 2nd the Porsche oil for the XC, Don PM me not far from the SF valley.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Pcoliver is infamous around these parts
Transfer Case #2!

New to the forum. Found this thread very helpful. Have a 2012 958 Cayenne S v8 with 8 speed. First TC was changed at 62k miles and in April 2016, 5 months before I purchased it. After less than 2 years and approx 20k miles I started getting the 2nd to 3rd gear shudder. Went to dealer and confirmed it’s the TC. They are doing a goodwill replacement except I have to pay the $900 labor. I believe they have to drain the TC before they ship it back so I’ll ask them to show me a sample. Also, this replacement will have the vent line fix as well. The first replacement did not. Hopefully after the replacement and taking advice here and doing fluid changes it wont happen again.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:02 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Many thanks to Jay P for opening his garage, providing the needed tools and some rags, and disposing of the old oil. Job done - immediate improvement in drive quality. For that reason I will NOT RECOMMEND Ravenol oil be used in these cases - despite the great bottle with an extendable tube that makes putting it in the case a snap. I do recommend using the genuine Porsche oil - and replacing the fill and drain plugs at least every other change.

I purposely used a short Allen key to limit the torque applied on the plugs and avoid damaging the case.. job from me pulling into Jay's garage until the celebratory beers took less than 30 minutes - including BSing about Cayennes and cars in general.

Thanks MUCH to Jay for his hospitality and help.

These are my feet sticking out from under the Cayenne - which is in super secret double high mode (which explains the huge wheel well gaps..)

It was quite comfortable under there..

BTW - now driveline feels SMOOOOOTH again. So much nicer, even in LA traffic.

Last edited by deilenberger; 01-13-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 AM
TJtheDJ is infamous around these parts
Well done guys! It really is nice to have some Cayenne neighbors around the country when things like this occur. See sometimes SOME good does come out of the internet! Cheers!

Old 01-14-2018, 05:08 PM
Roswell is infamous around these parts
2015 Cayenne Turbo with 43,000 miles. Brought it to my dealer asking for a transfer case fluid change (quoted $200). I live in a condo in Boston and cannot do car maintenance in my garage.

Arrived at dealer, said I could feel shifts and they suggested they replace my Transfer case in 2 hours as all parts were there, obviously I agreed and no charge. It does feel better! Without this thread I probably wouldn't have bothered, thank you all!

Old 01-19-2018, 10:50 PM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
I'm getting my second transfer case replacement completed on my 2011 CTT in the last 6 months as we speak...

Old 01-20-2018, 05:11 PM
Kricci- Is this under done a CPO warranty? I figured Porsche had this problem corrected, when I last checked they were on version 8.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:40 PM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jayi836
Kricci- Is this under done a CPO warranty? I figured Porsche had this problem corrected, when I last checked they were on version 8.
Yes luckily - the CPO warranty runs out in July, so i am hopeful i can get this all squared away before then!

edit 1/24: Car is back - all of my issues finally appear to be resolved with replacement of transfer case and rear differential. Very happy, this has been a battle over the last few months but i think it is all squared away finally!

Last edited by Kricci; 01-24-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Tom M is infamous around these partsTom M is infamous around these parts
I wasn't experiencing any issues related to the TC but at 99K miles I decided to change the TC fluid as well as both diffs. I used RAVENOL J1C1125 as the replacement. While I wasn't expecting any big difference I was shocked at how much smoother the car drove right after the change and how it feels like a completely different vehicle. Feels like it went from jogging to gliding with the upshifts barely noticeable now. Will monitor to see if it continues to improve over time.

I did replace the drain plug with new but reused the better of the two original on the fill as it really doesn't have to stop anything. Prior to removal I did pay attention to how they were seated with about 3 threads showing. Set them to about the same depth when putting in.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:23 PM
Bushburner is infamous around these parts
Experienced the 2nd to 3rd gear shudder on my 2011 turbo (40k miles) three weeks ago. I was pretty bummed because my cpo warranty expired january 2018. Went to the porsche dealership to get a diagnosis and they knew right away that it was the transfer case. They told me to bring in my car a week after so they can get a definitive diagnosis.

I decided to do a google search and luckily I found this thread. I got the local porsche dealership to change out the transmission fluid and now the shudder is gone. Thanks to this thread, I saved 3,500 bucks. I'll probably change out the fluids every 20k miles.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:08 PM
So they changed the transmission fluid not the transfer case fluid? that's a new twist.
I have had (2) dealers and one Indy shop refuse to change the transmission fluid stating "16 years or 160,000 miles"/ or lifetime!
In my case the transmission was changed and it came with fresh fluid at 121,000 miles.

Last edited by jayi836; 03-22-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:53 PM
Bushburner is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jayi836
So the changed the transmission fluid not the transfer case fluid? that's a new twist.
I have had (2) dealers and one Indy shop refuse to change the transmission fluid stating "16 years or 160,000 miles"/ or lifetime!
In my case the transmission was changed and it came with fresh fluid at 121,000 miles.
misspoke, the transfer case fluid I meant.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced