Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

SO torn between Akrapovic or Tubi exhaust ;( HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:31 AM
littodevil is infamous around these parts
Unhappy SO torn between Akrapovic or Tubi exhaust ;( HELP!!!

My new 2013 Cayenne Turbo is schedule to arrive second week of Nov... On one hand I love the technology, the larger exhaust tips and the weight saving of the entire Akrapovic exhaust.. from the wireless system to the front link pipes.

Then... I hear exhaust clips of the Tubi exhaust and the thing I like about that one is.. the exhaust note! There isn't enough video, sound clips of the Cayenne equipped with the Akrapovic exhaust system where I can hear the start up noise and interior cabin noise.

I guess if price wasn't the issue.. which one should I choose?..

If it's for looks I wonder if I could put the larger Akrapovic exhaust tips on the Tubi exhaust ends...

Then I wonder.. if the Akrapovic is just as "loud" as the Tubi system? Yet I read somewhere that Akrapovic's quality is built to like TUV standard so it naturally can't be as loud as say Tubi's one?

Those with the Tubi exhaust... it doesn't looks like there's any "valves" on the exhaust system.. so the sound wouldn't change with the sports mode engage like with factory correct?

Help xP..

Larry

Old 10-03-2012, 04:13 AM
jb111 is infamous around these parts
in either cases sound wouldnt change when u engage sport mode

akrapovic system is pleasingly loud but you have the option to close the valves which makes the sound barely noticable compared to open valves.

imo, go for akrapovic. less weight, bigger tips and better performance.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:54 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by jb111
in either cases sound wouldnt change when u engage sport mode

akrapovic system is pleasingly loud but you have the option to close the valves which makes the sound barely noticable compared to open valves.

imo, go for akrapovic. less weight, bigger tips and better performance.
Thanks for the reply! From my understanding the factory exhaust does get louder in sports mode right?... I thought that's why some aftermarket exhaust has a valve put in place to maintain that loudness that comes from engaging sports mode...

With the Akrapovic, the only way to have the options to close the valves is with the wireless option cuz it puts a butterfly valve at the end of the exhaust system correct?

I was leaning toward Akrapovic but people keep describing the Tubi as... "warn the people standing behind your car before you start it or you might give them a heart attack!" like of experience.. I'm wondering if the Akrapovic will do that with open valves..

You wouldn't happen to have any sound clips of your CTT with the Akrapovic Evo system would you? ..

Larry

Old 10-03-2012, 02:29 PM
jb111 is infamous around these parts
the factory exhaust does get louder in the S models not the Turbo models

You must install the wireless to have the butterfly valves open and closed which i see comes in handy.

I have never seen a tubi exhaust in person but the sound of cold starts on cold morning with the akrapovic is so loud and the rasp with every gear shift is undescripable i do have a video will try to upload in a couple of days

Old 10-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
I can't resist-------- Larry you are a lunatic. You haven't even got your masterpiece yet and you are fretting about the exhaust system.

Rob

Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Harlequin NY
I can't resist-------- Larry you are a lunatic. You haven't even got your masterpiece yet and you are fretting about the exhaust system.

Rob
Larry has his mind in the right place
Those twin turbos ask for nothing more than to be able to breathe properly

Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
I guess I will have to deal with that myself Pepper when I can get my order rolling and finally get the machine.
I am fickle constantly changing my list of options but it sure is fun.
Rob

Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by pepper09tt
Larry has his mind in the right place
Those twin turbos ask for nothing more than to be able to breathe properly
Haha thanks! Exactly! Breaatthheeee!!!

Originally Posted by jb111
the factory exhaust does get louder in the S models not the Turbo models

You must install the wireless to have the butterfly valves open and closed which i see comes in handy.

I have never seen a tubi exhaust in person but the sound of cold starts on cold morning with the akrapovic is so loud and the rasp with every gear shift is undescripable i do have a video will try to upload in a couple of days
Ohhh.. Yea a video would be aweeeesome!!!! Do you have the down pipes that replace the main catalyst converters or just the Evo system (titanium link pipes n exhaust n tips)? Also do you have the wireless thing to adjust the noise?

So with the turbo, in sports mode or not, the noise level is the same correct?

Originally Posted by Harlequin NY

Rob
Rob I gotta impress the ladies!!! LOL... I need to get their attention from start up to finish and leave a lasting impression ...

Larry

Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
My wife's CTT had a Tubi for the past 1080 miles & my company CTT has an Akrapovic Evo with wireless valve control close to 3k miles, here is my 2 cents... not technical but overall experience and observation.

We got the Akrapovic Evo first... mucho $$$$ and the wireless kit added another $1200, make sure your installer knows what they are doing and it takes ¾ to a whole day to install the kit. The Evo comes with a Titanium piping from the 2nd Cat to the exhaust, before they install it we weighted against the OEM pipe, about 3.5 lb lighter, but the exhaust is much lighter, the tech installed the exhaust before we had a chance to weight it. So with the system installed, when the valves are close, it is slightly louder then the OEM, my partner walked into the garage and thought it was still OEM exhaust with the Akrapovic tips, LOL. With the valves open it does get noticeably louder, it is deep and balance, but still "civilized". To be honest, it sounds nice but, didn’t really impressed me. The wireless kit is inserted into the lighter at the drink holder, guess what, my partner spilled coffee over it and now the wireless is dead, so the valves are closed for now.

Few months later, I got the Tubi for my wife’s CTT, first the cost was better (since I can't charge to the company, LOL) and I really like the youtube clips I hear. The install was simple and quick, I would say the Akrapovic is better put together but the Tubi is good quality too. Okay, when the CTT first started up with the Tubi, I swear I had tears in my eyes. Everyone in the shop peek their head up and came over to see the CTT. All I can say is MAN IT SURE RUMBLE!! The Tubi made a deep throaty V8 tone that vibrate straight into my soul, WOW! It is loud and deep but not raspy. The GM came over from his office and said “****!! This car is mean!!” You can't beat the sound at start up! I feel like flame is going to shoot out of the Tubi pipes. It is louder than the Akrapovic with the valves open. If you think the youtube sounds good.... NONE of the clips due justice to the real sound!

Both are awesome system, I like the tips of Akrapovic and the Tubi uses the stock tips, I personally like the rumble of the Tubi, it is what this car should sound like, aggressive and mean, reminds me of a Saleen. In terms of performance, both car have IPD Plenum, my butt dyno can’t tell the difference between the two, both made the car/turbo respond faster, but I do notice after the Akrapovic was installed, the CTT hold it’s gear longer then the Tubi CTT. I can’t tell you how many time people came up and ask me how good the Tubi CTT sounded, people turn around at gas stations and parking lots when the CTT starts up, I have not had this experience with the Akrapovic yet. Unfortunately, my wife don’t like the attention from the Tubi, so I swap back to stock last week, man the CTT feels dead without the Tubi, oh well….

Last edited by kw911TT; 12-15-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Talking

kw911TT, WOW!! Even though there was no video clips or sound clips (which I'm still looking for), that was an awesome response from your point of view.

So my dream exhaust would be a combination of Akrapovic as well as Tubi combined.. guess we can never have everything.. or can we...

Here's the plan.. "plan.." haha.. is to incorporate Akrapovic's down pipe with the front link pipe.. to the mid pipe.. to Tubi's exhaust with Akrapovic's larger 4 plus inch titanium exhaust tips. And if it doesn't go accordingly to plan.. modify at will!

The two things I won't get is.. I wont get the AKrapovic's actual muffler and I wont get the option to do the wireless option.. but from the sound of it, it wont make too much of a difference.

You said the gear held longer with the Akrapovic.. is that noticable? The only thing is the Akrapovic is a full evo system.. and I assume it gets rid of the secondary cats? Or you still have that on your car with the Akrapovic? I know with the Tubi it's just the back end that's changed but both cats are still in place.. maybe with the Akrapovic it flows better with the secondary cats removed and the combination of the freeder flowing turbo allows it to hold the gear longer?... did you get the front link pipes and down pipes that get rid of the primary cats as well?

If you don't mind me asking.. what .. is your company? You can PM if you want ..

Also if you still have both exhaust on both cars.. can I fly down, perhaps take you out to lunch to check out both exhaust in person?! I'm up here in San Francisco but can fly to any airport at will.

P.S. I wonder how much heavier the Tubi muffler is over the titanium one from Akrapovic..

*Edit* I noticed you said.. you just swapped back to stock last week.. if you did I would still love to check out the Akrapovic exhaust in person if possible .. I think I saw a .. for sale thread.. was that you selling the Tubi?
Larry

Last edited by littodevil; 10-04-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kw911TT
My wife's CTT had a Tubi for the past 1080 miles & my company CTT has an Akrapovic Evo with wireless valve control close to 3k miles, here is my 2 cents... not technical but overall experience and observation.

We got the Akrapovic Evo first... mucho $$$$ and the wireless kit added another $1200, make sure your installer knows what they are doing and it takes ¾ to a whole day to install the kit. The Evo comes with a Titanium piping from the 2nd Cat to the exhaust, before they install it we weighted against the OEM pipe, about 3.5 lb lighter, but the exhaust is much lighter, the tech installed the exhaust before we had a chance to weight it. So with the system installed, when the valves are close, it is slightly louder then the OEM, my partner walked into the garage and thought it was still OEM exhaust with the Akrapovic tips, LOL. With the valves open it does get noticeably louder, it is deep and balance, but still "civilized". To be honest, it sounds nice but, didn’t really impressed me. The wireless kit is inserted into the lighter at the drink holder, guess what, my partner spilled coffee over it and now the wireless is dead, so the valves are closed for now.

Few months later, I got the Tubi for my wife’s CTT, first the cost was better (since I can't charge to the compay, LOL) and I really like the youtube clips I hear. The install was simple and quick, I would say the Akrapovic is better put together but the Tubi is good quality too. Okay, when the CTT first started up with the Tubi, I swear I had tears in my eyes. Everyone in the shop peek their head up and came over to see the CTT. All I can say is MAN IT SURE RUMBLE!! The Tubi made a deep throaty V8 tone that vibrate straight into my soul, WOW! It is loud and deep but not raspy. The GM came over from his office and said “****!! This car is mean!!” You can't beat the sound at start up! I feel like flame is going to shoot out of the Tubi pipes. It is louder than the Akrapovic with the valves open. If you think the youtube sounds good.... NONE of the clips due justice to the real sound!

Both are awesome system, I like the tips of Akrapovic and the Tubi uses the stock tips, I personally like the rumble of the Tubi, it is what this car should sound like, aggressive and mean, reminds me of a Saleen. In terms of performance, both car have IPD Plenum, my butt dyno can’t tell the difference between the two, both made the car/turbo respond faster, but I do notice after the Akrapovic was installed, the CTT hold it’s gear longer then the Tubi CTT. I can’t tell you how many time people came up and ask me how good the Tubi CTT sounded, people turn around at gas stations and parking lots when the CTT starts up, I have not had this experience with the Akrapovic yet. Unfortunately, my wife don’t like the attention from the Tubi, so I swap back to stock last week, man the CTT feels dead without the Tubi, oh well….
+1 on a very eloquent description of the TUBI rumble
I am very happy with mine,and turning heads never grows old
I also have an IPD plenum,along with what I consider a small,but very useful upgrade..2 Agency Power diverter valves(boost builds up even quicker and holds at higher levels for longer)
I had the IPD and these valves added last week,and my 'butt' dyno feels as much of a increase in power as with the GIAC ecu flash
As far as Akrapovic is concerned,I have no knowledge of it..so I would not mind listening to a recording of it
However the idea of having wireless on/off valves seems unnecessarily convoluted to me...and I am not a fan of cat delete as well
Though in your case,kw911T,the Akrapovic set-up makes sense
Tubi is not too loud,but definitely noticeable

Old 10-04-2012, 11:09 PM
So today I found out that Akrapovic will sell the titanium mid pipe by itself and the titanium exhaust tips can be modified to fit the stock exhaust..

With that knowledge my current plan is.. Akrapovic down pipes, Akrapovic front link pipes, Akrapovic mid pipes, Tubi exhaust and Akrapovic titanium exhaust tips... wha cha guys think?...

Larry

Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 AM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Coming in from the 997 TTS - I have just added the full Akra system and the sound and quality of the product is fantastic IMO. Please don't shoot me down now........... compared to other systems (which I have little experience), the Akra is $$$$ but the craftsmanship and sound is so good......!

Cheers,

Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by The Big Easy
Coming in from the 997 TTS - I have just added the full Akra system and the sound and quality of the product is fantastic IMO. Please don't shoot me down now........... compared to other systems (which I have little experience), the Akra is $$$$ but the craftsmanship and sound is so good......!

Cheers,
That's cool..always good to know there is another exhaust system with very satisfied customers

Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Aperture776 is infamous around these parts
How much is the Akrapovic run? Installation of the Akrapovic on their website is pretty easy for a DIY not including the valve control though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SO torn between Akrapovic or Tubi exhaust ;( HELP!!!