Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Auto Stop Function- wear and tear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Auto Stop Function- wear and tear

I was reading the brochure on the Cayenne Auto Stop fuel saving function and it says "Battery and starter subject to greater wear and tear with frequent use of the auto stop function." Hmmm. So do the more frequent repairs offset the fuel savings? LOL

Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 PM
greg_g is infamous around these parts
Guess it just depends upon how dedicated one is to hugging trees. It's not an option for Cayenne Diesel buyers, so I didn't lose any sleep over the non-availability

//greg//

Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 PM
RAKLAW has a spectacular aura aboutRAKLAW has a spectacular aura about
I pressed the button on the console that turns it off all the time.
Start Stop Yeah right

Old 10-16-2012, 01:52 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I just would be wondering IF that car starts up when I need it to start. SO No START-STOP gimmicky for me!!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
i have mine off 99.99999% of the time.
When I did try it on, I noticed I went through oil faster, because of the more frequent starts/stops of the engine.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:00 PM
ukayenne is infamous around these parts
Does the auto start-stop stay turned off or is it necessary to press the button every time you drive?

I thought I’d read somewhere that the European builds don’t remember your preference, or was that just a really bad nightmare?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ukayenne
Does the auto start-stop stay turned off or is it necessary to press the button every time you drive?

I thought I’d read somewhere that the European builds don’t remember your preference, or was that just a really bad nightmare?
It stays off

Old 10-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Ken Brookings is infamous around these parts
If you turn the feature off it stays off. It actually works pretty smoothly. If you are on a hill, or the car is cold or certain other conditions it does't do it. So the power and starter effort to start the car is negligible. It starts the instant your foot comes off the brake, so there is no stumble or hesitation. If you are an old time heel and toe racer you might notice it, but a normal human, even a racey one, would not have operations affected it all.

I don't use it my car because the gas savings just isn't enough for me to bother (about 2% I believe), I drive mostly highway miles and I almost always drive with the transmission in Sport mode, in which case the feature doesn't operate. If gas were $10 per gallon I be getting used to it though - it is pretty slick.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks Guys, am pleased to know it behaves and stays off if needed.

Fuel here is about £135 for a tankful - About $217 at the minute.

As much as I hate auto start/stop I might just give it a go and see what the savings are.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
Thanks Guys, am pleased to know it behaves and stays off if needed.

Fuel here is about £135 for a tankful - About $217 at the minute.

As much as I hate auto start/stop I might just give it a go and see what the savings are.
Unless you have a lot of long stop lights, you won't notice much I would say. I have it on all the time, but I routinely get around 17mpg or so average. I drive a lot of mixed highway and city so that is more likely the culprit but it always seems like I don't stop long enough to really take advantage of it. It doesn't work well with stop-and-go traffic and more of an annoyance.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:22 AM
vitaman is infamous around these parts
i have it on all the time in mixed driving but I Never can break the 15 mpg barrier.
My car is in Sport Mode no more than 20% of the time. Still don't see how you guys do it.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:34 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Never touch the button
If it comes on:fine
If it does not:fine
Comes on occasionally in stop and go traffic,and is always a pleasant surprise which I have never found distracting
Yesterday drove about 250 miles through the Everglades from Miami to Naples,mostly on the interstate,between 60 and 85mph...and got 18.5 mpg
As far as oil consumption,I have 10 200 miles(with the first 3000,Autobahn miles ) and have yet to add any

Old 10-17-2012, 06:35 AM
My Cayenne has some special Porsche technology that makes the car do an extra 5 mpg when it's being driven by my wife.

I don't know how they do it - it's very clever.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:10 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
My Cayenne has some special Porsche technology that makes the car do an extra 5 mpg when it's being driven by my wife.

I don't know how they do it - it's very clever.
Very clever indeed
Porsche acknowledges that a happy wife makes for a happy life

Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 AM
vitaman is infamous around these parts
Pepper:
Maybe the old hand of the German Pope rose from the dead and blessed your Turbo engine. Besides struggling to hit 15 mpg, I have gone through 2 Quarts of Mobil's finest in 8,000 miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Auto Stop Function- wear and tear