Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne Self Leveling Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:25 PM
socalboxster is infamous around these parts
Cayenne Self Leveling Headlights

I park this car outside and on my driveway that is slopped 20-30 degrees up, so when i start the car at night i see the lights adjusting itself, then i pull out, my question is do the lights are now adjusted incorrectly because I started on a slop or will it adjust again once i am driving?... does it make sense?

Old 10-20-2012, 02:37 AM
littodevil is infamous around these parts
Auto leveling headlights are designed to take in the sensor reading of the front and rear suspension and then adjust the level of the headlights. The reason behind this is modern HID projectors have a cut off line.. the cut off line is a shield inside the projector that allows your light to basically be a half circle shape where the bottom half of this circle is lit up and shined out the front while the top half is dark to not blind oncoming driver. You can see this "Z" cut off line when you light up your garage door or a wall.

Now to achieve the most light you'll want to aim the light 2" down 25 feet away, basically as high as you can get without blinding cars in front of you.

When you load the trunk with cargo or with people, the angle of the car changes and now you could easily be blinding oncoming traffic where as you didn't before you loaded up some weight into the car.

Anyways to answer your question.. it doesn't adjust on the fly, the system I've seen and mess with.. adjust when you first turn on the car and it calibrates itself. If you find the angle all messed up, turn the headlights on and off on a level surface and it should fix it.. i don't have my cayenne yet so I can't confirm.. but if not you'll have to have it calibrate on a flat road..

The wording of your post "my question is do the lights are now adjusted incorrectly because I started on a slop or will it adjust again once i am driving?" is confusing as I'm not sure if your saying the lights are actually adjusted incorrectly and will it correct itself when your driving or if your asking if it will be adjusted incorrectly because your on a slope.

Larry

Old 10-20-2012, 05:42 AM
Wolverine1 is infamous around these parts
My 2012 S came from the factory with the headlights adjusted extremely low. I could not see more than 50' out. I have been adjusting them up about a half turn at a time. Last night I was "flashed" by several oncoming drivers which tells me I have to back down a quarter of a turn.
I have read that the self leveling headlights are also speed sensitive and rise a bit as your speed rises. Is this true?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:52 PM
socalboxster is infamous around these parts
littodevil, you are a light guru, thanks for the input, i tried to turn on and off when i got to the flat road, but only turn off for a second, and then it did not auto adjust again, so I assume when it adjusted on the slope it accounted for the slope angle, thanks again.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:00 AM
littodevil is infamous around these parts
I believe turning it on and off with the car running only cuts the power to the HID ballast but not the entire auto leveling computer and solenoid. I believe that process is started upon start up of the vehicle so unless you turn it off and back on, it wont retake the readings and relevel your headlights .. Some vehicle like Nissan, Infiniti, they actually have a **** to adjust the angle of the projector inside the headlight on the fly, like when your driving.

Aside from disabling the AFS (Advanced front lighting system) I don't see a easy way around it ..

When I get my CTT I plan to totally redo the factory headlights with some crazy hid projector and led setup ..

Larry