Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Help with installing brake controller on 2013 Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 03:58 PM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Absolutely no hiccups whatsoever. Paired mine originally on a 2011 Touareg TDI, then moved it to my 2013 Cayenne without a glitch. Controller itself remained on the trailer obviously, just the remote got moved from the VW to the Porsche.

//greg//

Old 03-22-2014, 04:16 PM
johnneurauter is infamous around these parts
Cool, thanks so much. Nice to have such an active forum, thanks all for the effort.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:22 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Based on personal experience, there are two options for pairing a brand new RF Prodigy unit with the Cayenne/Touareg:

1) Pair with another vehicle then move entire unit over to the Cayenne/Touareg
or
2) The 5 o'clock pin on the RF unit (where the trailer plugs into the RF unit) should be covered with electrical tape and the trailer plugged in to the RF and the RF into the vehicle when pairing. Started the vehicle, followed the instructions (important) and in 5-10 seconds it was paired. Next step is to take off the electrical tape plug the trailer back in an you are done.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stronbl
I have a 2013 Cayenne diesel with the factory trailer hitch option. I added the Pollak 7-pin adapter and wanted to install a brake controller so I purchased a Prodigy P3. I also built my own harness as per some other threads here and on Rentech.org. Tested the P3 and I have power to it, but have not done anything further at this point as I may return it because ...

... I read about the Prodigy RF and decided I'd go that route since I would not need to drill into my lower dash area. Plus the portability sounded like a good thing.

But I can't seem to get the RF to work. Since my trailer is not currently with me, I also purchased a Tekonsha 7-way Trailer Emulator. When I hook up the RF as per instructions, I cannot get the hand-held module to pair with the trailer module. For those that know the RF, I never get the 0.0 symbol so the two units never pair.

I am wondering if I have a bad unit, don't know. Alternatively is there some "trick" I need to do with the Cayenne to make it pair properly? I may try to find another vehicle with a 7-way connection and see if the RF will pair with that vehicle, but I'd like to exhaust other options first.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

PS - I have a Durametric Pro and I tested the Cayenne's factory trailer module (Porsche part) and it appears to be ok, at least as the Durametric is concerned.

We use the Prodigy RF on the BMW X5 35d. Works perfect and it is a progressive unit compared to a timed unit. It also has brake boost options.

We tow a 14 ft 7ft 6 high enclosed 2 horse trailer and it can weigh in at 6200lbs and it handles it like a charm!

Old 04-02-2014, 01:11 PM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
Mine has been working great. From Atlanta, 3 trips to VIR, 1 to COTA, 1 to Daytona and several to Barber

Old 04-02-2015, 10:57 AM
turbosporsche is infamous around these parts
I just hooked up my trailex trailer and racecar to my 13 cayenne diesel. My trailer has electric brakes on it. my cayenne has factory hitch and all I bought was the 7 pin adapter socket that plugs in under the covers next to the hitch. every thing worked even the trailer brakes. No after market controller. I believe Porsche has built it into the car with the hitch option. My dodge ram had the option to get it from the factory as well.

The only thing u couldn't do is lock the trailer wheels if u had to.

I took the car for a drive and slammed bthe brakes no trailer push even in a corner.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:45 PM
abatis is infamous around these parts
I am still using the Prodigy RF with good results. I did program it with a Chevy Tahoe so I didn't have to mess with any wiring on the Cayenne just add the Polk 7 pin receptor. Nice not having to drill and can also us it if I want to tow with another vehicle.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:09 PM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
me too. before I sold my frontier and got an M235i for a daily driver, I used to switch the controller between vehicles, depending on where the track was.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:17 AM
woodyTPA is infamous around these parts
I have a 2013 CD as well as prodigy RF unit. I tried 4 Chevy and 2 Ford trucks ranging from 1999 to 2013 and none of them had the 12v accessory pin at 1 oclock on the 7 way trailer adaptor on the tow vehicle hot. You either had to do additional wiring in the truck fusebox and/or add a relay or fuse depending on the brand of truck. TOTAL PITA!! I didnt want to wire my neighbors/friends trucks for them, so I finally took it to a trailer shop locally in Tampa (Weldright on Hillsborough BTW), and the business owner sold Tokonsha brake controllers and parts. He had never paired an RF unit though. We verified that he had a hot 12volt accessory terminal at the #4 pin (1 oclock) on his male plug on his truck, then did the pairing procedure. The only difference was that the RF controller never showed 0.0 in the beginning. When you went through entire process according to the directions, it showed 0.0 then was able to be adjusted up to 12.0. I plugged my trailer cable into the brake controller, then the brake controller into my Cayenne. Everything worked fine. TOTAL PITA though!!! SOOOO, you must have that 12v pin hot, and good luck finding someones truck that has it that way, unless they pull an RV. MOst regular boat trailers and utility trailers or car haulers dont need charging capability to the trailer EXCEPT the breakaway battery, which none of my friends had hooked up! Tow a $120k boat to Key West for 6 hours with no brake away control!! Sounds stupid but alot of people dont have them hooked up. The euro trucks trickle charge that battery, so dont expect that breakaway battery to recharge on the way to the track. Move it to a location easily accessed on the trailer with a case with a top that opens to remove the battery for recharging. Wiring a solo hot wire separately with a soloenoid and fuse is another way to go. Look at RV websites for this. Hope this helps someone!