Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Why A Diesel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Ken Brookings is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by carcam
I guess we all have different reasons for getting what we get in our cars. I find the V6 diesel the sweet spot for a big suv. I love the torque, economy and making it to the beach and back on one tank of fuel. Coming from a Range Rover, the CD handles like a dream bordering on downright sporty. I owned an '06 Cayenne Turbo and loved the power but found after a while that 500hp just seemed like to much in a big suv. After the initial thrill, I drove it around like an ordinary suv with crummy gas mileage.
I don't need to be thrilled with my family, dog hauler suv but i want it to handle well and offer somewhat spirited driving. My CD does that for me. When I want more excitement, I hop in my '12 991S. And I know this is shameful to admit on a Porsche board but I like the 991 better than my previous 997.1 turbo. I like fast but don't track and there are just no safe, ticket free places to drive the turbo fast where I live. Again, the 991 hits the sweet spot for my sports car enjoyment.
Sorry for the rant. If I had only one car, it would probably be the Cayenne GTS- definitely more exciting to drive than the CD. But for me, The CD is perfect. For now
well said and all true.
I am, in fact, trying to become a one car guy. For years I've had a daily
driver (like the Cayenne) and something fun and pain in the *** to deal
with - currently a Maserati Quattroporte. I drive over 30K per year, most
all freeway driving. But like the Cayenne S so much I realized I get it
all from one vehicle and simplify life a bit. But my S wasn't equipped for
that role as mysole (soul?) car - so I'm going to trade it in for an even
more equipped turbo or turbo s and be a happy single car owner.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:01 AM
OCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by carcam
I guess we all have different reasons for getting what we get in our cars. I find the V6 diesel the sweet spot for a big suv. I love the torque, economy and making it to the beach and back on one tank of fuel. Coming from a Range Rover, the CD handles like a dream bordering on downright sporty. I owned an '06 Cayenne Turbo and loved the power but found after a while that 500hp just seemed like to much in a big suv. After the initial thrill, I drove it around like an ordinary suv with crummy gas mileage.
I don't need to be thrilled with my family, dog hauler suv but i want it to handle well and offer somewhat spirited driving. My CD does that for me. When I want more excitement, I hop in my '12 991S. And I know this is shameful to admit on a Porsche board but I like the 991 better than my previous 997.1 turbo. I like fast but don't track and there are just no safe, ticket free places to drive the turbo fast where I live. Again, the 991 hits the sweet spot for my sports car enjoyment.
Sorry for the rant. If I had only one car, it would probably be the Cayenne GTS- definitely more exciting to drive than the CD. But for me, The CD is perfect. For now

Wow, almost exact same story. I have had 4 Cayennes now. 05 Turbo, 08 CS, and the 2 I still have, 12 CS, and my 13 CD. I am so happy with the diesel, since it just an amazing vehicle for the money. Of course its not as fast as my 05 CTT, or as fast as the 12 CS. But is it a drag to drive? Quite the opposite, the torque and passing power is amazing, that you don't really miss the power in my humble opinion. I consisiently get 30 mpg. So really its a great balance. I find the diesel much better to drive than the 08 CS, with almost more power. The diesel delivers the power very smoothly and the torque comes on so nicely.

Honestly, for major power, I use my 04 996TT. A Cayenne TT or TTS really cannot come close to a 996TT or 991 S. Just totally different driving dynamics.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Critical is infamous around these parts
Note that you cannot get PDCC on any of the diesel versions.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:00 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Clearly, the US has never experienced a good diesel car. Now, finally they have cleaned up the fuel so we can see and experience personally what the Europeans have been driving for the last 20 years . And guess what, they also have the gas engined cars to so there is a market for both. Having said that, I do not understand why we have these slinging matches. If you need a commuter car and you live anywhere near a large metro with the stop start traffic we all so dearly love, a diesel is it. There is nothing that can even come close. Track and wide open roads might beg for the gasoline version but that is only for the uninitiated or non-believers. They will learn. LOL!

Old 02-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Critical
Note that you cannot get PDCC on any of the diesel versions.
Whilst selecting the options for my V8DS my sales guy told me PDCC was not an available option, although PTV plus was. I will say though that he had no official option list at that stage and was working from word of mouth along with the petrol S's list. However, i have just received the latest Cayenne diesel S hard copy product book from PCA now sitting in front of me and PDCC is clearly listed on the options list for V8DS. I know PDCC doesn't come in the V6TDI.

I am going to have my sales guy re check his facts through PCA and if need be PAG as well. If news comes back that it definitely doesn't have PDCC then Porsches new book (specific to this car) has a very odd typo. This news probably isn't all that relevant to you USA guys as you aren't getting this car (at the moment) but it may pay for the Euro guys who are awaiting delivery to also check in the event they want it built on their car.

PS. I also agree with carcams account on the cayenne 100%. The TDI makes a great deal of sense in a car of this type and size. I changed my order from GTS to V8DS after driving TDI-6, CSV8P, and GTS back to back on 2 occasions which left me with the clear impression the big diesel would be the better car in the long term. The sheer grunt of the TDI 6 was also hard to overlook. The fuel economy and general resale attraction (inc better resale values) is also hard to deny. There is a lot to like about the V8 Petrols but the torque is what shifts the weight of this car faster when its on the move, and that's where the diesel makes this car shine.

Stepping out of the GTS (which was an awesome drive) back into my 997tt made me quickly realise the Cayenne even in GTS form is a long way back from any 911. And i mean a long way back. I'm talking handling speed, manoeuvrability....the whole nine yards. it quickly brings you back to reality that the Cayenne is a recreational vehicle in all variants even though a very well behaved one at that.

I would also have to question why would anyone would bother tracking an SUV.
I recall a track day when some guy bought his worked CTT to the track and he really got pissed off and left after only a few hours into the day. He was so cranky with himself for not bringing his 911, and that was mainly because all of the other cars were using him as traction. LOL....but true. Maybe if there was a lapping session purely for SUV's only he may not have wound up so demoralised. Anyway just wanted to point that out for anyone out there that truly thinks a Cayenne can substitute as "a one car fits all".

Last edited by speed21; 02-09-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 PM
93RSAmerica is infamous around these parts
Wish the V8DS was available in the USA! May want to also verify that the front and rear diffs lock. Porsche neutered the V6 Cayenne Diesels sold here, locking diffs are not even available as an option!

Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Stepping out of the GTS (which was an awesome drive) back into my 997tt made me quickly realise the Cayenne even in GTS form is a long way back from any 911. And i mean a long way back. I'm talking handling speed, manoeuvrability....the whole nine yards. it quickly brings you back to reality that the Cayenne is a recreational vehicle in all variants even though a very well behaved one at that.

I would also have to question why would anyone would bother tracking an SUV.
I recall a track day when some guy bought his worked CTT to the track and he really got pissed off and left after only a few hours into the day. He was so cranky with himself for not bringing his 911, and that was mainly because all of the other cars were using him as traction. LOL....but true. Maybe if there was a lapping session purely for SUV's only he may not have wound up so demoralised. Anyway just wanted to point that out for anyone out there that truly thinks a Cayenne can substitute as "a one car fits all".[/QUOTE]

First off,congrats on the V8DS
Awesome package that will no doubt give you years of driving pleasure
Fantastic choice
As far as the rest of your comments?
Bla-bla-bla-bla
I can assure you that my CT keeps up just fine with pretty much any NA 911..would crush most of them in a 1/4 mile race
As far as the track..I drove mine for 2 days on Porsche's Leipzig track for driving school..where i was the only CAyenne
Kept up fine with C4s on long sweeping turns and straights,but yes..not nearly as nimbly in the twisties
Anywhoo,my CT was far from ridiculous on the track,thanks to PDCC and PTV+..and provided i hit the APEXs right,i was as fast around the track as quite a few of the NA 911s out there those 2 days
I have had a 997tt and tts,so I know a thing or 2 about driving dynamics..and while I do miss the blindingly fast-superbike like- acceleration...I believe more and more everyday that my CT is indeed a one car fits all

Old 02-15-2013, 03:56 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pepper09tt
First off,congrats on the V8DS
Awesome package that will no doubt give you years of driving pleasure
Fantastic choice
As far as the rest of your comments?
Bla-bla-bla-bla

I can assure you that my CT keeps up just fine with pretty much any NA 911..would crush most of them in a 1/4 mile race
As far as the track..I drove mine for 2 days on Porsche's Leipzig track for driving school..where i was the only CAyenne
Kept up fine with C4s on long sweeping turns and straights,but yes..not nearly as nimbly in the twisties
Anywhoo,my CT was far from ridiculous on the track,thanks to PDCC and PTV+..and provided i hit the APEXs right,i was as fast around the track as quite a few of the NA 911s out there those 2 days
I have had a 997tt and tts,so I know a thing or 2 about driving dynamics..and while I do miss the blindingly fast-superbike like- acceleration...I believe more and more everyday that my CT is indeed a one car fits all
OK pepper i see i've lit you up a bit with the track day comments (sorry) but i can assure you it's 100% true. The guy tore up his ticket (and it wasn't cheap either at @ $500+) and left in a steaming huff....completely lost it. Seeing someone lose it like that...sheesh! Unb-eliev-able! Now maybe he couldn't steer very well or something...I don't know, don't care really. Most were too busy tearing the track up to get too caught up in the heated tanty but the message was loud and clear to everyone that saw it and it got around pretty quickly. The only 958 i haven't driven is the CTT and i'm sure it's a weapon. I drove the last one (CTT) on a few spirited occasions and it hauled pretty serious ***, although sucked fuel like no tomorrow in the process ( i recall 30 litres per 100 there at one stage) so i can imagine she must drink like a fish at the track too.....a very thirsty fish. The 958 may be more fuel efficient? Not saying a good driver in a CTT couldn't pace 911's up the straights but in the corners there would be a lot of rubber lost in the process and it would have to be a short lived and expensive exercise for any cayenne....just saying. Cayenne CTT is an awesome car....but horses for courses iykwim. Definitely not throwing **** on CTT. If it wasn't for the gas bill and the resale i'd blow the V8DS and get one for sure. The CTT is the current King of the cayenne....no question....but don't kid yourself a 911 in average hands can cause some problems. A good driver well...its like goodnight Cayenne. Anyhoo...

Last edited by speed21; 02-15-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:56 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
True,there is NO excuse for improper behavior on a track,it's a disrespect to yourself and others.
He should realized he did not have the same type of vehicle and taken the opportunity to learn more about the driving dynamics of his CT instead of acting like a brat
I drove my 997tts on the Nurburgring/Nordschleife for a few laps..and as fast as my 911 was,I felt immmediately that the #1 quality order to have a positive experience at the track is :HUMILITY
I had no problem getting overtaken by much smaller and far less powerful cars driven by experienced ones
I did learn a lot about the handling and dynamics of my CT from the 2 days of Porsche driving school..and it can track very well...but YES..it is NOT made for the track(powerful,but just too heavy)
And YES..25-30/l per 100km..easy
All in all..A car that amazes me more and more every day
All the best mate,and happy trails

Old 02-15-2013, 04:26 PM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the track day interlude guys, but I'm missing the "why a diesel?" angle. Perhaps we could get back on topic?

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 02-15-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Banned
I'm hearing you grohgreg and agree totally but I've put my thoughts out why the diesel and everyone took off. Anyway agree let's keep it to topic... if possible lol.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by grohgreg
Thanks for the track day interlude guys, but I'm missing the "why a diesel?" angle. Perhaps we could get back on topic?

//greg//
Sorry about that,got carried away there for a moment

Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Banned
Btw i forgot to mention i got the concrete word back from PCA and PAG that PDCC is 1000% not available in V8DS so that was bad news. I had my hopes up there and would have ticked that box for sure. Now they are ducking for cover saying the new book has a typo. Kind of makes you wonder who proof reads these things. Crazy. I'm sure hoping the new car doesn't have any typo's...

Old 02-15-2013, 06:30 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I think the chance for a diesel to go for 3 or 5 or 10 years without having to lift the hood unless you let squirrels nest there, is very good. For a gas engine... not so good. The chance for getting most of your money back after 3 years for a diesel is very good... For gas engine.. not so good.Sit at a traffic light waiting for the light to change and blowing all those unexpecting greenies off and away. Priceless.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 PM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by grohgreg

//greg//
ok, I got it to tow my racecar! and the mileage is excellent, and it drives like a sport sedan, and I just love this truck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why A Diesel?