Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2013 Cayenne GTS Akrapovic vs Tubi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Foggy916 is infamous around these parts
2013 Cayenne GTS Akrapovic vs Tubi

Wanted to post my findings on upgrading the Porsche Sport (PSE) exhaust and warn anyone with a S or GTS (non turbo).

Was wanting more of an aggressive sound (even with my modification of having flaps open all the time) and my search was narrowed down to Tubi or Akrapovic.

Decided to purchase Tubi since I've owned their exhaust on my previous 2006 Cayenne Turbo and loved it. Come to find out, I received a Turbo version for my GTS and was told this was the only application that would work since there is not a GTS specific version that would fit. First off, the Turbo has a totally different stock sound vs the NA engine....come to find out the NA engine/exhaust is MUCH louder than a Turbo. After my Tubi install, I quickly realized this was a huge mistake. Don't get me wrong, I love an aggressive loud exhaust but this was CRAZY loud, raspy and a drone that was unbearable....literally had to shout in the car to carry on a conversation. Even had the interior vibrating/rattling at low revs. Took the Tubi back to the dealer and let them have a listen and they confirmed this was not the proper application. It was actually comical watching people's reactions on start up and acceleration. I had to warn people if they were anywhere near the back of the car at start up.

After a few months of driving around my NASCAR sounding truck, we got an Akrapovic as a replacement. HUGE difference. If you have a NA engine (S or GTS), I strongly recommend going with Akrapovic over Tubi (until Tubi creates a specific version for NA engines). The Akrapovic is top notch with quality, sound, and fit. Very impressed. Only downside is you have to purchase their expensive tips since stock ones will not fit; however, the carbon tips are REALLY nice. I'll probably list my stock black tips for sale shortly if anyone is interested....just have to touch up the paint since it seems three of the four were rubbing slightly on top when they were on the Tubi.

One last thing, the Akrapovic arrives with two of the four small connecting pipes from the muffler to the tips blocked off with the option (as pointed out in the manual) of cutting off the metal to open all four for more sound. I found it too quiet (it was only slightly louder than the stock PSE) and ended up opening all four and couldn't be happier. It was an easy modification by the installer.

With regards to the sound, if you google sound clips for "Cayenne GTS Akrapovic", there are a couple online for a GTS in Europe. I would say those sound clips are very accurate (my guess is that all four tips are open in those clips).

Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Been down the Tubi road myself. Tubi vs Akra is like comparing chalk and cheese. There simply is no comparison. Enjoy that Akra!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Solid info for everyone on here. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Just a heads up, I listed my stock tips in the marketplace forum if anyone is interested. $525 obo.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Foggy916
Just a heads up, I listed my stock tips in the marketplace forum if anyone is interested. $525 obo.
Sweet deal
Wish it had been available a few months back
Love my black GTS tips
And ADORE my Tubi exhaust
Though i do have a turbo,and from driving a GTS, I agree that the higher pitched sound of the NA engine would be more suited to the Akrapovic

Last edited by pepper09tt; 03-01-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 PM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
its because exhausts for turbo cars are always made louder since the turbos quiet/muffle down exhaust sounds compared to n/a engines. a few years back i put a stock S65 amg tt, figure 8 looking exhaust on our s550 and it was crazy loud as youre describing. but on the S65 you couldnt barely a thing.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:48 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Can you post more details about the 4 connectors ?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
Can you post more details about the 4 connectors ?
Sure. Basically two of the outlet pipes (that go from the muffler to the two furthest inside tips) are blocked off at one end. They have the option of grinding/cutting off the spot welds to open those tips and give more volume and sound. If you go online and download the manual, it will show you pics on page 12 I believe. The manual has a caution that states "In case you choose to grind off the spot welds and brake the outlet pipe seals off, the exhaust system EC type approval is not valid". Guess it doesn't pass noise regulations????

In summary, leaving the two inner most tips blocked off will give you a subtle increase in sound. I'd say slightly louder than the factor sport exhaust when it has it's baffles open. You really can't hear the exhaust inside the car unless you're hard into the throttle. However, if you elect to grind/cut out the seal and have all four tips open, I would say it sounds much more aggressive with even a bit of a snarl/rasp on hard acceleration. It does sound a little raspy on very cold starts but nothing too bad. You can notice the exhaust slightly inside the car with normal driving but it's nothing obnoxious at all. Nice option to choose from for the S and GTS NA engines...you can start with the tips blocked off and then simply cut away if you like more sound.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
I think that would be good Orion for turbo owners as it didn't sound that aggressive comparing to gts And s

Old 07-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Aifanoo is infamous around these parts
Thank you so much, I have GTS and I was about to buy tubi,

Old 07-19-2014, 07:55 PM
HOiYA is infamous around these parts
Every time I read another exhaust mod thread my itch to mod flares up!