Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

PCM now shows album art

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TGED
The post Nov, 2012 PCM does have a 40gig Jukebox, so perhaps there really is a hardware difference.
I have no doubt there are hardware diffs, that's why I included the "significant" qualifier. The PCM is obviously capable of displaying images (Nav), they just choose not to make it available

I miss the days of simple and stupid non-integrated head units so it was easy to replace with an aftermarket unit that better meets your needs.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 AM
JKLogic is infamous around these parts
Guys, I'm new to the board, but have been reading here for quite a while. I just traded in our 2011 Cayenne S for a 2014 Cayenne Turbo S. The 2014 has the new PCM and we are having an issue where we cannot have both the iPod connected by USB and have Bluetooth AUX connected at the same time.

If we plug the iPod into the USB, the PCM deactivates the Bluetooth AUX input. If we then unplug the iPod, we can use the Bluetooth AUX input with out issues.

Are any of you seeing the same issues. On our 2011, we could have both connected at the same time, and just had to hit source to choose which one we wanted.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:16 PM
TGED is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JKLogic
Guys, I'm new to the board, but have been reading here for quite a while. I just traded in our 2011 Cayenne S for a 2014 Cayenne Turbo S. The 2014 has the new PCM and we are having an issue where we cannot have both the iPod connected by USB and have Bluetooth AUX connected at the same time.

If we plug the iPod into the USB, the PCM deactivates the Bluetooth AUX input. If we then unplug the iPod, we can use the Bluetooth AUX input with out issues.

Are any of you seeing the same issues. On our 2011, we could have both connected at the same time, and just had to hit source to choose which one we wanted.
I completely understand your situation. On our 2011 Panamera, I leave my iPod plugged in all the time and I am able to access AUX BT. But on our 2013 Cayenne S, when an iPod is plugged in, AUX BT is gone. You probably have the optional Porsche Car Connect online service, in that case the PCM does not distinguish whether you have an iPod or iPhone plugged in, it will try to establish a hard wire connection to your device, because when you plug in an iPhone the PCM will want to cut off AUX BT and use a hard wire connection to broadcast audio signal from the iPhone AHA radio app. The Porsche Car Connect requires an plugged-in iPhone, but an Android phone can be connected by BT. So the scenario will be different.
Do you know when you plug in an USB flash drive, AUX BT is not cut off. Therefore I use an USB flash drive instead of an iPod in our Cayenne. I actually prefer using an USB flash drive because I put my songs into different folders and I am able to display a folder list on the round LCD screen in front of the driver, then I just use the steering wheel clicker to select my folder. When I use an iPod, playlists cannot be displayed on the round screen, so I must use the PCM main screen to make my playlist selection. Your 2014 should have the Jukebox, in that case you can transfer all your songs into the storage and you don't even need to connect anything to the USB port.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 PM
rchaas is infamous around these parts
I have a 2013 CS with PCM/Nav, system version 3.41. Was wondering about having them update for album art, which would be neat. but it works fine otherwise. In fact, mine can access both the ipod (via usb) and my iphone via aux BT at same time. If i update, I might lose that functionality (don't have car connect) based on the above discussion.

So, maybe not worth it. Is 4.4 the most recent version? Seems thats a big jump from 3.41 for just a few months. Mine was built 8/12.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Mine was built Jan 2013, PCM software version 4.4

Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rchaas
I have a 2013 CS with PCM/Nav, system version 3.41. Was wondering about having them update for album art, which would be neat. but it works fine otherwise. In fact, mine can access both the ipod (via usb) and my iphone via aux BT at same time. If i update, I might lose that functionality (don't have car connect) based on the above discussion.

So, maybe not worth it. Is 4.4 the most recent version? Seems thats a big jump from 3.41 for just a few months. Mine was built 8/12.
They can't/won't. You have to buy a new PCM if you don't already have the support.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 PM
rchaas is infamous around these parts
Ok. Not worth it. Mine works fine.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:18 AM
MTRX is infamous around these parts
Can anyone with Panamera confirm that album art works for them as well? I have 2013 Panamera Turbo and my PCM is the latest version, however I can't figure out how to display album art from USB drive. I know that my MPA3s do have album art embedded in them.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:10 AM
Don't know about the Panny, but the Cayenne didn't get the album art until the 11/2012 builds. So only late 13s have it. Could be similar with the Panny in which case if yours was built before the cutoff then you are faced with the same problem (replace the PCM).

Old 04-12-2015, 05:13 AM
It would be easy for Porsche to provide a software album art capability update which has nothing to do with whether the PCM has Jukebox or not. Therefore you don't need to replace the PCM if you are not interested in the Jukebox.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:25 AM
It should be an easy thing as the hardware is capable, but they don't.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:58 PM
I'm going to make an attempt, but most likely they go strctly by the book and won't load PCM software that is "incompatible by the book" with my PCM hardware. I'm seeing this as a posibility if you have "connections" with the dealer, otherwise for them it's an extra liabiliuty that they do not need.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:53 AM
It is possible that the hardware in the pre and post jukebox models is different enough that the later PCM software is incompatible. Even if the hardware (other than the Jukebox parts) is identical, the software may have checks on the jukebox parts that would fail and cause problems on the older version.

Depending on the hardware and how they wrote the code it is very feasible that the new firmware just won't work on the older hardware.

If they have developers worth a fraction of what they are paid, however, it should be trivial to back port all the features that the hardware does support (e.g. album art in this case) if Porsche was so inclined. Sadly no major car manufacturer is interested in adding new features to old models no matter how trivial or if said model should have had the feature to begin with (Fords and Chevys were already coming with album art support when the 958 came out!).

Old 04-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by gnat
It is possible that the hardware in the pre and post jukebox models is different enough that the later PCM software is incompatible. Even if the hardware (other than the Jukebox parts) is identical, the software may have checks on the jukebox parts that would fail and cause problems on the older version.

Depending on the hardware and how they wrote the code it is very feasible that the new firmware just won't work on the older hardware.

If they have developers worth a fraction of what they are paid, however, it should be trivial to back port all the features that the hardware does support (e.g. album art in this case) if Porsche was so inclined. Sadly no major car manufacturer is interested in adding new features to old models no matter how trivial or if said model should have had the feature to begin with (Fords and Chevys were already coming with album art support when the 958 came out!).
You have a point and that's exactly what I think. I'm pretty sure that P dealer won't even try to load a wrong software and may not even be able to depending on which loader they use.