Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2013 Cayenne Turbo - brake lines change - help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 AM
superalfi is infamous around these parts
2013 Cayenne Turbo - brake lines change - help needed

Hello

I have received the stainless steel brake lines from Goodridge and the brake fluid from Castrol (SRF)

The mechanic (which is not a Porsche dealer) told me that this procedure may require some intervention with the diagnostic tool to deal with the ABS and other electronic things. He has no idea if this is a standard procedure or not and this is the reason I am asking for your help.

Please tell me from your experience if I need or not any diagnosis tool or not to do this or just take out the OEM brake lines and then do the brake flush and replace the liquid.

thanks!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:15 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
I am under the impression that the OE (rigid) brake lines are already stainless steel. I'm curious why you feel the need to change them. Or have you found a source of flexible stainless lines?

But to answer your question about the ABS, yes. It would be handy to have a capable code reader/analyzer that has ABS functions. If you want a capable handheld, consider the Equus Innova 3150b or 3160b. There are also products available that enable you to connect your laptop to the OBD2 port. But you'll have to research to see which of those may be capable of ABS diagnostics and reset. I have recently ordered a product from England called iOBD2. It's a wireless device that plugs into the OBD2 port, and can be left there permanently if desired. It provides a WiFi connection that sends engine data to either an iPhone or an iPad. The software is currently not ABS enabled, but I'm hoping they'll eventually add brakes to the diagnostic/reset menu.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 03-07-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 AM
i don't know if the OEM ones are rigid or steel but i will check. The ones that i got from Goodridge are custom made for 958 and they are stainless steel - flexible. I will have them in about 1 hour and i can tell more about them.

I need to dig more into that technical thing with the brake fluid flush and brake lines change.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 AM
confirmed - the Goodridge ones are flexible and stainless steel lines. OEM brake lines are rubber with some metallic insertion in it - but nowhere near the SS ones.

It seems that i have found the tool too so I will be installing these in the next days.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Understand. The OE rigid lines are stainless, it's the four flex lines between the rigids and the calipers that you're changing. In that case, you won't need a flush. As long as you don't permit the master cylinder to draw air, you should only need to bleed. Do one caliper at a time, bleed, top up master cylinder, move on to next caliper. Might not even need an ABS reset either.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 03-07-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Greg - thanks! Yes - correct - I am changing only the 4 flex lines.

I need to flush because I am changing the entire brake fluid with Castrol.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Synthetic Castrol I hope. I'm pretty sure the OE fluid is synthetic, so you must ensure compatibility - or risk contamination. Same applies if your OE fluid is not synthetic. Not all synthetics are backwards compatible. Before you start you must determine whether the Castrol chemistry is ok to mingle with the Porsche fluid

Last edited by grohgreg; 03-07-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Castrol React SRF - yes it is.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 PM
CTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of light
I don't see the logic in changing the brake lines on a brand new car.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Well the SS lines do not expand like the rubber hose ones and this translates into a firmer pedal feel all the time.

I have a Golf R20 Stage 2 with around 360 hp and I have front SS brake lines together with a BBK from Alcon and the pedal feel is amazing - hard and it gives you confidence.

As soon as I will have these installed I will post my opinion on how they changed the pedal feel and braking characteristics.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:25 PM
D_T_A is infamous around these parts
Could you also post where you got the SS lines?
Thank you.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
superalfi and grohgreg..thanks for the very informative posts

Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 PM
nhirsch is infamous around these partsnhirsch is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pepper09tt
superalfi and grohgreg..thanks for the very informative posts
ditto

Old 03-08-2013, 12:59 PM
you are welcome!

You can try to get them from here:
http://goodridge-uk.com/shop/en/pors...r2200-4c-.html

it seems there is no special tool required and the only thing that most car services have and this was about, is a device that is connected to all the brake calipers and is performing the suction of the brake fluid without letting air inside.

I will install them on Monday and I will post my impressions afterwards.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Op,while i admire your ability to tinker with such complex machinery..
..i would not even begin to trust myself with any car i might have worked on
Ps:I have PCCBs
When driving in Germany..had more very hard braking stops than i care to remember
Mainly due to the bane of the Autobahn..Trucks!!!!!with one going 50,followed by
another going 55-60 behind it and therefore taking Ffffffnnnnn forever to overtake
Man,the number of times I went from 150mph to 60..yikes

Last edited by pepper09tt; 03-08-2013 at 03:31 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2013 Cayenne Turbo - brake lines change - help needed