Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

air suspension with PASM worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM
saraojo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Fkim011
The PASM also has 3 different ride firmness settings.

1. Comfort
2. Normal
3. Sport.
thanks, But the PASM doesnt change the ride height at all correct? Is the difference in the three modes definitely noticeable or is it similar to what you get in your 5 series? A few of my friends have the 11 and up 5 so I have ridden in the various settings.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by saraojo
thanks, But the PASM doesnt change the ride height at all correct?

This was my understanding. PASM w/o the air suspension is just coil-over springs with adjustable dampening- similar to your Audi R8. Just with 3 modes - instead of 2. The air suspension is what provides the height adjustments. Two totally different setups that have a similar end result when it comes to dampening options.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
my r8 v8 is "sufficient" in terms of power. it pulled noticeably harder than my s5 v8. I did test drive the v10 in manual and it feels faster on the highway although the engine at low speeds and rpms didnt sound as good as the v8 imo, but when you opened it up the v10 was more impressive.
I just could not justify the 30k+ difference in price when i bought the car a while ago. Plus call me crazy but i prefered the rear styling of the v8. With the new s tronic coming out i bet you can get a v10 coupe/spyder with good miles for around 125/135 easy.
I use my r8 daily and have no problems with it, its comfortable enough to be used daily with the only real issue being ground clearance. I even use it during light snow without fault. It has enough luggage space in the front and behind the seats for a small weekend trips or light grocery shopping.
I have never ridden in the v10 with apr tune but i heard that it pulls even faster with gallardo output. some ppl got various kits on r8 talk, stasis, heffner etc to name a few and I can imagine it can get you to the power you want for the price of a new s tronic. I suggest you wait for the s tronic v10 plus when it comes out first to get a real feel of what else you can get with your money. good luck with the search.
This is very helpful - thank you for the detailed response. I might PM you on the R8talk boards if I have any more specific questions.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:09 PM
synk is infamous around these parts
I actually haven't driven a Lexus or Cadillac before. However, it definitely feels cushy compared to the compact car I used to have. It's especially evident when driving on unpaved roads. Whereas before washboarding would drive me crazy, I don't notice it anymore.

Haha good point. Do you find that the car feels more cushy like a Lexus or Cadillac at the higher settings?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
PASM for SUV is a must!

Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 AM
adasb is infamous around these parts
Hi,
I have a CD with Turbo 2's, PASM but no air. I didn't need the height adjustment for our car use.
I find the differences between the 3 settings on the PASM to be very noticeable (comfort setting = 'marshmallow mode' according to the kids...)
I was worried about ride with the big rims, but it was a non-issue in any of the 3 settings. Quite surprised that the ride is so good with them, actually...

Perhaps the final test: If i was ordering again, i still wouldn't spec Air suspension!

Cheers,
Adam

Old 03-22-2013, 04:36 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Worth it?
Are you serious?
Of course it is!
While their cabin tech is weak,
Porsche is #1 in driving dynamics,so anything they put out in that category is MORE than worth it
No more,no less

Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by kw911TT
PASM for SUV is a must!
thanks it seems that I will get at least the PASM. will probably bite the cost for the air suspension while i am at it.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
If it helps the case for the air suspension, I was able to drive out of my driveway in the last 36" snowstorm with the suspension all the way up, differentials locked, snow tires w/ chains, and PSM off. I was able to drive right up to the blade of my neighbors stuck dually snowplow with new BFG all terrain tires, 426 big block, side exhaust, and 1 ton of sand in the bed. I offered to pull him out with my european SUV with a couple of recovery straps. I am not sure if his ego will be able to fully recover...

Old 03-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by pepper09tt
Worth it?
Are you serious?
Of course it is!
While their cabin tech is weak,
Porsche is #1 in driving dynamics,so anything they put out in that category is MORE than worth it
No more,no less
I totally agree but if money wasnt a problem then I would just get a GTS or maybe even a turbo like you haha. Im still waiting to test drive a v6 so I can compare it with the diesel with PASM that I drove to see if the extra 4k for the diesel is worth it. Then I will have to test drive a car with the PASM/Air suspension to see if thats worth it. I know maybe I shouldn't buy a cayenne on a budget (haha) but its still a good vehicle without the extras imo.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
If it helps the case for the air suspension, I was able to drive out of my driveway in the last 36" snowstorm with the suspension all the way up, differentials locked, snow tires w/ chains, and PSM off. I was able to drive right up to the blade of my neighbors stuck dually snowplow with new BFG all terrain tires, 426 big block, side exhaust, and 1 ton of sand in the bed. I offered to pull him out with my european SUV with a couple of recovery straps. I am not sure if his ego will be able to fully recover...
Haha thats amazing. Guess all that HP you have can also be used for other things like towing plows besides tearing up the roads like you did on that video you made.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by adasb
Hi,
I have a CD with Turbo 2's, PASM but no air. I didn't need the height adjustment for our car use.
I find the differences between the 3 settings on the PASM to be very noticeable (comfort setting = 'marshmallow mode' according to the kids...)
I was worried about ride with the big rims, but it was a non-issue in any of the 3 settings. Quite surprised that the ride is so good with them, actually...

Perhaps the final test: If i was ordering again, i still wouldn't spec Air suspension!

Cheers,
Adam
Thanks that sounds promising. Im sure my gf and I would love to have the option to drive in "marshmallow mode." Haha. I think the PASM will be a good compromise from us driving in my R8 or even the S5 (which she still thinks is "too stiff") and her lexus ES 350.

Adam, how about this question, if Air Suspension was only $1,000 more would you still spec it, or would you use that money for something else?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:43 PM
adasb is infamous around these parts
Thanks that sounds promising. Im sure my gf and I would love to have the option to drive in "marshmallow mode." Haha. I think the PASM will be a good compromise from us driving in my R8 or even the S5 (which she still thinks is "too stiff") and her lexus ES 350.

Adam, how about this question, if Air Suspension was only $1,000 more would you still spec it, or would you use that money for something else?
Even for $1,000 i think i'd look elsewhere on the options list - We just don't need the ability to elevate the car any higher with our lifestyle!
On the other hand, it's essential (and standard!) on my Bentley GT speed to cross steep driveway kerbs...

Cheers,
Adam

Old 03-22-2013, 05:00 PM
gammaman is infamous around these parts
No, I can't say my CTT ever feels like a Caddy or Lexus ever. The suspension changes are fairly subtle, within what Porsche deems acceptable. If you want max performance, just put it in sport mode and let her rip!

Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Who would not want some extra STABILITY???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: air suspension with PASM worth it or not?