Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

air suspension with PASM worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by saraojo
I totally agree but if money wasnt a problem then I would just get a GTS or maybe even a turbo like you haha. Im still waiting to test drive a v6 so I can compare it with the diesel with PASM that I drove to see if the extra 4k for the diesel is worth it. Then I will have to test drive a car with the PASM/Air suspension to see if thats worth it. I know maybe I shouldn't buy a cayenne on a budget (haha) but its still a good vehicle without the extras imo.
Actually had a 13' V6 loaner,steel springs
Fun to drive,more so than Panamera 4
Steering was tight
Though the ONE thingy that surprised me was how the steel springs would amplify each and EVERY imperfection of the road
As opposed to the air suspension that would make them seemingly disappear

Last edited by pepper09tt; 03-22-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Maybe I'm just used to the 911 or because the run flats that came on the BMW scared me for life, but it has to be a pretty major "imperfection" for me to notice it with my steel springs.

If Air was a standard option or I had a real need for it, sure I'd take it. But since its not and I don't, I find the standard suspension meets my needs just fine (including tossing it around an AutoX track for a day every now and then). Sure it could be better, but for me it wasn't and isn't worth the price.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 PM
nash is infamous around these parts
You're missing the point if you think air suspension is just for raising and lowering the car. Sure, most of us will never use it to offroad and don't need the extra clearance, and most of us just use the "low mode" to look good while parked, but the air suspension does more than that. It also smooths the ride considerably, as others have noted. In this caliber of vehicle, I think it's well worth $1000.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
I am fully aware that there is more to it than raising and lowering the car. I have no need of the functions that it offers.

For my needs (which includes a good aggressive day tossing it around which I'll likely do again) the steel springs are plenty capable and offer a more than adequate ride.

Does air give more off road function? Sure. Does it offer better handling at high speed? Sure. Does the auto leveling make heavy cargos and trailers seem like they aren't there? Sure. Is it fun to play with when you're bored? Sure.

But the only question that matters when its my money on the line is, do I need any of that for the cost? Nope.

I don't tell people they shouldn't get it. I just offer the counter point to those that say its stupid not to get it or imply that the steel springs make it a horrible vehicle.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 AM
saraojo is infamous around these parts
From what I gather so far pasm will be a must for me. Air is still pending, cz I have other options that I definitely want to spend money on. I'll have to drive it in see how much it's worth in terms of comfort

Thanks for everyone's great insight however.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 AM
CromagNet is infamous around these parts
PASM is a must if you are not on a tight budget. We would not buy a Cayenne without it. The ride is noticeably more comfortable. If you value your ride comfort as a priority then PASM is a must. I've had the Turbo 2005 Cayenne with 22" wheels and the ride was very comfortable with PASM and lowering. The 2012 PASM with lowering is also comfy. Both cars roar to life when switching to sport mode, automatically dropping the suspension and stiffening the ride. Still comfortable but very different beast

It's all about your priority and money. If ride comfort and optimal handling is not top priority then pass on the PASM.

Cheers

Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 PM
gjmattos has a spectacular aura aboutgjmattos has a spectacular aura aboutgjmattos has a spectacular aura about
I have PASM/AS but cannot say how much better it is compared to stock spring as I drove one for about ten minutes. My wife makes a daily drive across a twenty-four mile bridge that will bump da bump all the way across so we needed everything Porsche had for that. I drove across yesterday to go to the dealer about our keys not being recognized and the ride was reasonable after I switch to partial load. But I have to say that it will have a hard time beating my X5d with Adaptive Suspension, BMW has it down.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM
grhymes is infamous around these parts
I just ordered my 2014 Cayenne Diesel.

I spec'd it w/ PASM/Air Suspension
Bose surround sound

Thats where I spent my $$. IMHO to purchase a cayenne and NOT spec it with PASM/AIR is pointless....Buy a fully loaded VW Touraeg Execline(incredible value)

To spend $$ on bigger rims 2000 way powerseats is pointless. Porsche is about 'performance'....besides, one can get Porsche wheels for half the price of spec if they look hard enough. At the very least one should spec out with PASM.....instead of specing 19" wheels go with the FREE 18's and add the air instead

my 2 cents. longtime reader. first time poster.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 PM
saraojo is infamous around these parts
thanks for the info. if i was to get a cayenne i think i would definitely get the pasm before wheels etc. but now, im considering other vehicles as well.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:06 AM
LaicepsYdobon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by saraojo
thanks for the info. if i was to get a cayenne i think i would definitely get the pasm before wheels etc. but now, im considering other vehicles as well.
I see you are in the NYC/NJ area like me. PASM is a must for all the crap roads we have here. And don't get any wheels above 19". Unfortunately we need all the sidewalls on the tires we can get to prevent bubbles and blowouts