Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Hit pot hole. Need new tire.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Hit pot hole. Need new tire.

Hi guys,
I hit a big pot hole and wrecked the Michelin tire and getting it replaced this week. I have no experience with Porsche's suspension on the CTT and was looking for advice if I should get the alignment checked after the hit. Is it something to check out?
And here's another thing I noticed- after the hit the car would pull to the right a little when breaking which it never did. The problem corrected itself after a few blocks and is back breaking straight.
Thanks for any thoughts, Rob.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:00 PM
RAKLAW has a spectacular aura aboutRAKLAW has a spectacular aura about
Did the rim get damaged in any way whatsoever...
If so chances are the alignment is off...at a minimum..the suspension on these trucks is pretty tough...it would take quite a hit to damage te arms, etc
How fast were u going when it hit????
Down in SCarolina tonite
First Florida trip with the CTTS.....what a ride...just oodles of torquey power

Last edited by RAKLAW; 03-23-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM
nhirsch is infamous around these partsnhirsch is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Harlequin NY
Hi guys,
I hit a big pot hole and wrecked the Michelin tire and getting it replaced this week. I have no experience with Porsche's suspension on the CTT and was looking for advice if I should get the alignment checked after the hit. Is it something to check out?
And here's another thing I noticed- after the hit the car would pull to the right a little when breaking which it never did. The problem corrected itself after a few blocks and is back breaking straight.
Thanks for any thoughts, Rob.
Damn. What size wheels do you have? suspecting > 20" If you have any doubt, I'd have it checked just for peace of mind but sounds ok.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
I don't see any damage on the rim with the tire still on it.
I would guess I was going 35- 40 when I hit it.
I have the new tire ordered so I will check the wheel before they put it on.

There you go again flying down south with your new space ship.

Yeah- I forgot to list the wheel size. It is the 21" Sport Edition wheel which doesn't seem to have even a scratch from what I can see so far.

Oh well......

Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 AM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Does your stealership do the fitting and then automatically check the alignment? I'd probably get it checked.

Cheers,

Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 AM
I have a local guy that I go to for tires so I would have to make an appointment to bring the car to the Porsche dealer.

Rob.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Did u go for the wheel & tire insurance deal from Porsche.. It's the only dealer addon I go for with tires 400 each and who knows how much a 21 sport edition in black is
One bump and its paid for
Yup in Florida..got in this afternoon
Hit huge monsoon in S Carolina. PCar water tight and very planted. Mich Latitudes a bit noisier than PZeros but definitely grippier.
The CTTS is a beast on highways. zero lag and just unreal breakaway acceleration that just keeps pulling. forget Porsche saying same gas mileage as turbo.
Max I got on a easy going tank in 8th was 16.7.. Not 19..7 in turbo
And the Ceramic Brakes.? I can honestly say they are worth the $$$
Simply phenomenal braking with just a light touch on the pedal
exhaust sound has more rumble at idle and more engine sound under acceleration
And of course the black/Carrera red interior is just stunning
The Illuminated CF sills greet u nicely on all 4 doors
I got the 12V Porsche frig from SunCoast and it keep my drinks fruit cheese and snacks nice and chilled
Nice option for $185

Old 03-24-2013, 06:54 PM
No RAK I didn't get the wheel insurance.
Monsooning in the CTTS must have been fun.
Others on here have also said the Michelins are grippier.
The more rumble at idle has to be nice. That's right up Peppers09TT's alley.
Great to hear all the good details with the new monster.

Do you have the pooch with you? How did he like the storm?

Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Talking

No RAK I didn't get the wheel insurance.
Monsooning in the CTTS must have been fun.
Others on here have also said the Michelins are grippier.
The more rumble at idle has to be nice. That's right up Peppers09TT's alley.
Great to hear all the good details with the new monster.

Do you have the pooch with you? How did he like the storm?
Pooch nerves of steal. Not a sound. Confident in my driving skills
I will say i don't ever want to navigate through that kind of weather again. If it were not for the fact there was no exit for miles, and not a great idea to pull over and stop as limited shoulder room, and an *** kissing very likely, I would not have kept on
R u riding on the collapsible spare.. Nice look

Old 03-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Wow. You are a brave traveler and so is your best friend.

No I am still on the damaged tire but not driving the CTT. I am using my faithful old Durango or the work issued car. The tire has a bulge in the side from the hit but is still holding air. If I hadn't looked for it I wouldn't even know anything had happened.

And I can't imagine what the spare looks like on the car. It would defintely stay in the garage like that.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 AM
LaicepsYdobon is infamous around these parts
Make sure that whomever is putting your new tire on does a thorough job of checking out the rim. One of my coworkers hit a pothole and destroyed his tire. Dealer got a new tire for him but he noticed that every week he looses pressure in that wheel. Went back to dealer but they couldn't find anything wrong with the tire. Ordered him a new one but the same thing kept on happening. Turned out he had a hairline crack on the rim that is where the air was escaping.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM
No I am still on the damaged tire but not driving the CTT. I am using my faithful old Durango or the work issued car. The tire has a bulge in the side from the hit but is still holding air. If I hadn't looked for it I wouldn't even know anything had happened.
I just saw your post regarding that you only have a bulge on the sidewall and the air is still holding. Disregard my previous post regarding the hairline fracture; it doesn't apply in your case but keep it in mind for further events. Roads sucks around the tri-state area. There are some roads where people must think I'm drunk I'm swerving so much to avoid potholes. Takes the fun out of driving to be honest...

Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Yeah got it. I will take a good look at the wheel anyway as you suggested.

agreed- the roads are getting worse around here every year.

I have lived here in Nassau County my whole life but am considering a move eventually if I can figure out where to go

Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 AM
LaicepsYdobon.

I just figured out your screen name after scratching my head many times.

Nobody Special.

nice

Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 PM
LaicepsYdobon.

I just figured out your screen name after scratching my head many times.

Nobody Special.

nice
Or you can call me Pete

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hit pot hole. Need new tire.