Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Minimum Oil Level Reached

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Sorry to hear what you are going through.

Your posting got me to checking mine and I was half way down after 2500 miles. I put in slightly more than a quart to get it to the max level. That might equate to 1 litre so in my case 2 notches equal 1 litre as someone suggested.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:13 PM
nhirsch is infamous around these partsnhirsch is infamous around these parts
Be careful of overfilling. It might take time for oil to seep down to register.

I didn't see the level before I filled (it was unavailable) but the warning said Minimum Oil Level Reached so I can only assume it was at the bottom of the indicator and yes, when I added one quart and checked shortly thereafter, it was right in the middle, a picture of which I posted earlier, so two notches seemed to equal one quart. I didn't add another quart because when I picked up the car at the factory in Leipzig 11 months ago, the oil was in the middle (actually a tad less than middle) and I was warned about over filling.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Driver started her up, backed her up out of the garage and loaded her on the truck. His thought was it sounded like a valve sticking. Everyone has their theories. We'll see.

Attached Images     
Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Great license plate!
Great neighborhood- wow!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Harlequin NY
Great license plate!
Great neighborhood- wow!
Thanks, Rob!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by RAKLAW
Best of luck...
hopefully diagnosis is not fatal.
Scary that the damn dashboard dipstick would allow an engine to go oil dry because of a bad sensor
It didn't go dry--only reached Minimum Oil Level and the warning light did come on as it should have. Adding one quart and seeing it go back to midrange proved it warned at the right time.

Dealer called me today. Porsche, rather than taking engine apart at dealer's location to find out problem, will be replacing the engine. I don't know if my engine goes back to Porsche for analysis or if it's done here. Will find out.
Dealer arranging for a loaner meanwhile.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 AM
WOW !!!! A new engine. Should be good as new...

Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Wow. Bummer, but at least you won't always have to worry about if they found/fixed the problem correctly or if there are other related issues that might pop up later. Also hopefully means you should get it back sooner.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 AM
LaicepsYdobon is infamous around these parts
See if they'd allow you to keep the old engine; heard they make great coffee tables Seriously; congrats on the new power plant. Like gnat said; you don't have to wonder if they'd fixed this issue or not. You get a piece of mind and a brand spanking new engine.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 AM
RAKLAW has a spectacular aura aboutRAKLAW has a spectacular aura about
Well I'm very happy for you for this resolution...but the $64,000 ?
is obvious...So there is no warning of a potential engine frying due to low oil, until its tooo late and the warning message comes on?
That is a bit unnerving.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RAKLAW
Well I'm very happy for you for this resolution...but the $64,000 ?
is obvious...So there is no warning of a potential engine frying due to low oil, until its tooo late and the warning message comes on?
That is a bit unnerving.
As has been posited before, the problem with the engine is probably the reason it was burning so much oil and triggered the low oil warning. It's highly unlikely (unless the sensor was seriously out of spec) that the low oil is what caused the engine problem.

So yes assuming that the sensors are all functioning as they should, you should get warnings in plenty of time to correct the issue before there is a serious problem.

Unless you are like one guy I knew that believes the warning lights always being on is "normal", then there is just no helping you (he's the reason I am reluctant to pick up used cars)

Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM
RAKLAW has a spectacular aura aboutRAKLAW has a spectacular aura about
Hopefully the cart did not come before the horse....it is just so odd so see a relatively new twin turbo 4.8 cook

Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Summary:

1. slight ticking started about 1 1/2 weeks ago, noticed it for a few days - was intermittent - generated some concern - mostly wishful thinking it would go away.
2. MOLR warning popped up on way back home. Added one quart of Mobile1 when I got home. MOLR message remained for awhile (8 miles). (called dealer and they said it might take up to 40 miles to go away). Checked oil level the next day and indication was exactly middle of range.
3. MOLR message disappeared as expected, maybe 10 miles after adding oil.
4. Noise increased until concern turned to worry. Called dealer....

Conclusion:

1. Ticking noise was indicative of an as yet unknown problem.
2. Above problem likely (but not necessarily) caused the oil to decrease.
3. MOLR came on at the correct time (confirmed by 1 quart bringing to mid range).

Will try to find out from dealer whether I will receive feedback as to what happened and advise forum.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:40 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nhirsch
It didn't go dry--only reached Minimum Oil Level and the warning light did come on as it should have. Adding one quart and seeing it go back to midrange proved it warned at the right time.

Dealer called me today. Porsche, rather than taking engine apart at dealer's location to find out problem, will be replacing the engine. I don't know if my engine goes back to Porsche for analysis or if it's done here. Will find out.
Dealer arranging for a loaner meanwhile.
If you put one quart (.934 liter) in and it showed two bars back on gauge then it must have been at least half a quart under the lowest setting beforehand. So maybe there is a warning issue that needs attention on your gauge. My P contact is unaware of any re calibration TSB for purpose of allaying customer concerns over oil consumption (had a chuckle). Once the warning light appears a liter will bring level to just under top bar, which is where it should be. To re calibrate the gauge so it drops below the red zone defies logic.
Once light alerts on dash driver needs to get oil level back up asap....and drive very gently meantime....and not too far.

If it developed a tick that was a sign damage occurred later progressing to the more audible knock. If it was a lubrication type failure then putting oil in was too late at that stage....unless the damage was instead due to fuel related problem.

Originally Posted by gnat
As has been posited before, the problem with the engine is probably the reason it was burning so much oil and triggered the low oil warning. It's highly unlikely (unless the sensor was seriously out of spec) that the low oil is what caused the engine problem.
gnat 1 quart per 7000 miles is actually very good for one of these. Many have been quoted as using far more than that. Whatever happened is either oil or fuel related, not faulty component related. Also the calibration is obviously out on the gauge if a quart only brings it to halfway mark.....

A piston doesn't run 7000 miles then decide to scuff the liner for no good reason. Lack of lube or fuel problem can do that .i.e faulty injector, ECU settings/timing etc. If there was a component fault it wouldn't have run 7000. Problem signs would have manifested way way beforehand.

If the techs are fitting a new engine they would have isolated and inspected the problem cylinder with a bore scope. The problem with the alloy blocks on these V8s is getting the liners out and if there has been a scuff or seizure of any type the block is basically a throw away. I wouldn't be surprised if they replace the ecu as well mindful it controls the fuel and timing. They aren't likely to give out details. These guys don't educate, just replace. If the customer is paying it (may) be a different story...

Good luck to OP with his new engine!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:25 AM
I have a 2013 CTT and didn't receive any warning on display about low oil but checked it because of this story. When I checked the display as per procedure it was half way down (2 notches). Car has 2500 miles. I put in slightly over a quart (possibly more than a liter) and it is still one notch down. So it looks like it burned about 1-1/2 quarts in this short time although the manual does suggest more than normal oil consumption during break in period.

Rob

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Minimum Oil Level Reached