Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Minimum Oil Level Reached

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:20 AM
nhirsch is infamous around these partsnhirsch is infamous around these parts
More questions than answers at this point. Googled and read most of the related posts to the 958. Apparently the oil level guage is not so accurate as to be used by service:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-oil-piwis.jpg

Use of oil ranges greatly in these engines. One particular oddity is for static measurement check: you must "open the bonnet and close it again" for the oil level indicator to reset!
(see: http://porkyoilissue.blogspot.com/20...d-hog-day.html)

Interesting post of official Porsche how to respond to customer re: oil consumption:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...5-post150.html

Excellent post on how to DIY oil and filter change in 958
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-pictures.html

there is more if you're so inclined:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...m-atteint.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...l-warning.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-checking.html

One thing is certain and that is I will be checking oil level more than regularly when I get my car back and I will not assume or trust that 1/2 liter = one bar although for ball park purposes that might be a good "guess".

Last edited by nhirsch; 04-11-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 AM
RAKLAW has a spectacular aura aboutRAKLAW has a spectacular aura about
Well since my first CTT back in 2003-4 I have always carried a quart of Mobil 1 in the trunk with a funnel as you just never know when that warning light pops on. (I'm sure everyone does this)
In any event I'm still a little unnerved as not convinced that the engine component issue caused the the oil consumption rather than the reverse. As I said, these engines are very reliable.
I totally agree with Speed21..The likelyhood of you getting a straght answer from the Dealer is well...Manufactures are hard pressed to start making public issues that could trigger a recall..fortunately there are forums such as this one, where we owners get to hear and learn of issues which in the past would never be known.
During my ill spent youth i Purchased a 1966 corvette 427 and traded it on a 1967 427 both new. Within the first 200 miles both engines threw a nut that held a rocker arm in both cases damaging the valve cover and causing engine issues. Obviously no coincidence, yet there was never a recall in either year. In todays internet world I doubt that would be the case.
In any event..Get your new turbo motor and insist your warranty is extended on any engine related component.
Keep us in on the swap.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Guys it's old news that these Cayenne petrol 8's and 6's burn copious amounts of oil. Diesels don't seem to be such an issue. When OP said he only used a quart in 7000 i thought if you only you could be that lucky. C/Turbos have been regularly quoted as needing top ups every 1000kms. This is not news. These things chew oil. When i hear guys say they have a CTT and don't use oil i wonder what they are on or if they are telling the truth. Modern high output engines which use this mobil 1 all drink it like fish....its not just isolated to Porsche Cayenne engines.

My contact said on the Cayenne the volume quoted by Porsche is 1.5 litres from full mark to empty (warning light) but they only ever put one litre in so to be sure not to overfill. The engine has to be at hot idle on a flat surface to check properly after standing for a few minutes. If OP's hasn't seen a drop filled in 7000kms then god only knows how much was in the thing. I mean how would you know? Oil pressure and temp is often a good indicator as well fwiw.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RAKLAW
In todays internet world I doubt that would be the case.
The internet is also a bad thing in these cases as it has a tendency to over blow such things. The two cases I'm familiar with are BMWs N54 turbo engine and the 996 IMS/RMS. I believe BMW did finally issue a recall a year or so ago, but that was after years of complaints. Porsche is finally doing something about the IMS, but (as I understand it) only if your car is less than 10 years old which actually throws most of the impacted engines out.

In both cases though it seems that there are far more people talking about these problems on the internet than there were actual problems. It never really impacted the BMW value, but the hoopla over the IMS/RMS absolutely gutted the value of the 996s.

So yes it's good that the internet can get issues like this out so that if it happens to someone else they know it has indeed been seen before (regardless of the typical "we haven't heard of anyone else having this issue" answer some dealers give), but there are also a lot of hypochondriacs out there that talk issues to death and end up making it seem worse than it really is.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM
My comment took into account the level of sophistication associated with the contributing members on this forum.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RAKLAW
My comment took into account the level of sophistication associated with the contributing members on this forum.
You obviously don't know many of the IMS ninnies then

Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 AM
I should have clarified.." the contributing members a few of which I read:"

Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by speed21
Guys it's old news that these Cayenne petrol 8's and 6's burn copious amounts of oil. Diesels don't seem to be such an issue.
Therein lies the irony. Older diesels had an unchallenged reputation for oil consumption (and sometimes leakage). Witness my earlier comment about using the oil pressure gauge to know when my old 300CD needed a quart. Oil consumption and oil spots on the garage floor (hot turbo line leakage) got me thinking that the car shared some DNA with Harley Davidson.

Now the new (performance) diesels are the good guys.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 04-11-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM
bones boy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nhirsch
Use of oil ranges greatly in these engines. One particular oddity is for static measurement check: you must "open the bonnet and close it again" for the oil level indicator to reset!
(see: http://porkyoilissue.blogspot.com/20...d-hog-day.html)

Any idea what they mean by "bonnet"? Is that the oil cap? I'm thinking baby bonnet but I'm probably older than most around here...

Anyway thanks for sharing what must be a rather awful experience That's very nice of you.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:12 PM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
British terminology
bonnet = hood
hood = roof
boot = trunk
windscreen = windshield
scrapers = wipers
petrol = gasoline
tyres = tires
et cetera, et cetera

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 04-11-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:14 PM
spoke with dealer. will take Tri-rail down for Panamera loaner tomorrow. Asked whether I will know what happened with car, if they take it apart or it goes back to Porsche? Answer: Engine goes back to Porsche and information will be kept like the gold in Fort Knox. Neither dealer nor I (we) will know what happened.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:33 PM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
spoke with dealer. will take Tri-rail down for Panamera loaner tomorrow. Asked whether I will know what happened with car, if they take it apart or it goes back to Porsche? Answer: Engine goes back to Porsche and information will be kept like the gold in Fort Knox. Neither dealer nor I (we) will know what happened.
Unfortunately, that is what they do. The only way for you to find out would be to pay for the engine replacement yourself, and then tear down the old motor. All parts replaced under warranty get sent back to the motherland for inspection.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Sounds like they r treating you fairly thus far.. Trust me..lol..the dealer would not get a new motor without a thorough diagnosis and report to Germany what happened.. PCNA is not in the business to pass out free turbo motors unless the OEM canot be easily repaired. shame

Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM
No qualms at all with dealer. They are considerate of the situation and even seem somewhat sad that this happened. Everything professional thus far. The bottom line of course will be when I get the car back and everything works seamlessly mechanically, electrically, electronically, etc. that the car looks like it did prior (ie looked new), and if all the associated issues such as correcting/updating my Certificate of Authenticity, warrantee issues for time=0 on engine and any other unforeseen items are resolved.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by grohgreg
Therein lies the irony. Now the new (performance) diesels are the good guys.
//greg//
Pretty well the case especially in these SUV's which need torque to shift the weight. That said the turbo torque of the CTT does the job quite nicely. I really like the way the turbo diesels shift this car around so effortlessly. They are really well matched to the transmission. I drove the V8Ds the other day and omg that has some shove. Once on the go there doesnt feel to any difference between the CTT in fact I actually preferred the power delivery and general drive of the V8DS. It hauls.

Asked whether I will know what happened with car, if they take it apart or it goes back to Porsche? Answer: Engine goes back to Porsche and information will be kept like the gold in Fort Knox. Neither dealer nor I (we) will know what happened.
They may not know exactly what caused it but they would definitely know the general extent of the damage hence why they have called on a new engine. Porsche don't spill the beans to customers as it is not in their interest to do so especially when they are fixing a problem like this one FOC. I would have been very surprised if they had told you anything. Make no mistake, if they could have fixed the problem without removing or replacing the engine they would have done so. They are just being polite to you and are expecting the same back.

Last edited by speed21; 04-11-2013 at 11:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Minimum Oil Level Reached