Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Minimum Oil Level Reached

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gnat
The internet is also a bad thing in these cases as it has a tendency to over blow such things. The two cases I'm familiar with are BMWs N54 turbo engine and the 996 IMS/RMS. I believe BMW did finally issue a recall a year or so ago, but that was after years of complaints. Porsche is finally doing something about the IMS, but (as I understand it) only if your car is less than 10 years old which actually throws most of the impacted engines out.

In both cases though it seems that there are far more people talking about these problems on the internet than there were actual problems. It never really impacted the BMW value, but the hoopla over the IMS/RMS absolutely gutted the value of the 996s.

So yes it's good that the internet can get issues like this out so that if it happens to someone else they know it has indeed been seen before (regardless of the typical "we haven't heard of anyone else having this issue" answer some dealers give), but there are also a lot of hypochondriacs out there that talk issues to death and end up making it seem worse than it really is.
I have found the Porsche forums generally quite helpfull. The rms issue you speak of with the 996 was well worn but i felt what gutted the values of the 996 was the car itself. RMS has been an ongoing issue in previous 911's and even the earlier 997 models, and the values of these cars stood up well in comparison to 996. I agree there is always the opportunity for embellishing but you can generally get a feel for what is being discussed and if need be the seive can always be used to get to the bottom of it lol.

I have found that information and recommendations pertaining to mods (and performance claims) to be down right incorrect (even deceptive) at times. I have personally experienced that there is quite a variation between claims and actual outcomes. So yes one needs to be extremely carfeful of user and vendor recommendations that's for certain. There are only a few things that are givens in this department therefore due diligence is always best exercised, particularly where exhausts, suspensions and tunes are concerned.

Last edited by speed21; 04-11-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:30 PM
nhirsch is infamous around these partsnhirsch is infamous around these parts
Picked up loaner. Panamera hybrid. Engine comes in Monday.

Saw my car. The dealer brought it in from outside lot. I downloaded my trip info onto my USB which I had forgot to do. Seems they were waiting for the engine before starting work on my car although likely they may have looked at it electronically. The fellow who brought it in was unaware it was waiting for a new engine but said he noticed the sound from the engine when he drove it in.

Panamera S Hybrid is the loaner. Nice car, comfortable, but I like the height/view of my Cayenne and the options I chose. Same functionalities inside in slightly different places made it easy figure out/use.

Last edited by nhirsch; 04-13-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:54 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nhirsch
Picked up loaner. Panamera hybrid. Engine comes in Monday.

Saw my car. The dealer brought it in from outside lot. I downloaded my trip info onto my USB which I had forgot to do. Seems they were waiting for the engine before starting work on my car although likely they may have looked at it electronically. The fellow who brought it in was unaware it was waiting for a new engine but said he noticed the sound from the engine when he drove it in.

Panamera S Hybrid is the loaner. Nice car, comfortable, but I like the height/view of my Cayenne and the options I chose. Same functionalities inside in slightly different places made it easy figure out/use.
Once again..best of luck with your new engine
Had a Panamera hybrid as loaner once,and only fun part was trying to drive around the club on only electric power..not as silent as expected(whine of electric motor)
Nice car,if a bit on the underpowered side

Old 04-13-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks Pepper. Yes, the Panamera is not the 958TT but the sport mode does improve things. I haven't tried to drive it on pure electric. Didn't know that function or how to use. Did notice the screen showing when decelerating or stopping it charges battery. Definitely a version 1.0 in comparison to the Tesla S as far as electric utilization is concerned but that's an entirely different vehicle/concept. If you haven't driven a Tesla S, you should try it. The opposite of what you described on the Panamera, as Tesla S has breathtaking acceleration with no sound except the wind and road noise.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Wow, read every page of this thread. Sorry to hear about your troubles Nhirsch.

I actually had a very similar problem with my 986 Boxster 10 years ago when it actually had a dipstick at the time. All of a sudden the engine oil seemed to be low in the car, then a ticking/clunking/knocking noise which left me horrified quite frankly.

The dealership told me not to even turn the car over, sent me a flatbed and took it into service. This was bought new by me and at 6,XXX. The engine needed to be replaced and they really didn't have an explanation for it.

It was my first Porsche at the time, left a pretty sour taste in my mouth towards the brand but I'm glad I stuck with it.

After the engine swap, the car never had any problems till I let my brother drive it...

He totaled it.....

Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Very similar indeed, Fkim011. Hope your brother came out of it OK.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
He just had a bruised ego and a slight concussion. Hopefully a life lesson somewhere in there too.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Received my car back today. Sounds and drives like new. Time will flush out any issues. Here is the report from the dealer:

Customer states-investigate loud noise from engine. Engine internally faulty oil contaminated with metal diag verified noise drained oil NG found oil contaminated with metal auth to R/R engine drained fluids R/I engine and trans unflanged trans from engine R/R engine and reconditioned with swapped over parts refit trans NG when torquing trans bolts one snapped unflanged trans and drilled out broken bolt retapped engine case refit trans with new bolts ok refit engine/trans to vehicle refit all connections refilled and topped off fluids refilled suspension with nitrogen tank and tester NG fault stored for faulty steering angle sensor create and submit new val R/I steering wheel and column trims DVOM wiring ok realtimed sensor ok will no calibrate R/R steering angle sensor/clockspring recoded and calibrated with tester ok all faults cleared performed 4 wheel alignment roadtest ok checked and topped off fluids performed pdcc bleed and calibration procedure 2 times as per ppn instructions topped off pdcc fluid roadtest ok old engine # C05091 New # D04513.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Acc99 is infamous around these parts
Hats off to your dealer. Replacing those high end engines is not easy considering all of the connections, sub components, parts that must all be disconnected and reconnected back together and made to function seamlessly. Congrats on your new engine . It's like a brand new car again.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Congrats N, welcome back to your new car.

Rob