Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Info, Pics and PDK 2015 refresh.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 01:07 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Info, Pics and PDK 2015 refresh.

New drivetrain with pdk. V8 petrol looks toast too.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...hots#100424654

Old 04-13-2013, 04:32 AM
Acc99 is infamous around these parts
The tail lights look bigger. But where is the change in the front? Also, I thought that they didn't put PDK on the cayenne for some technical reason.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:20 AM
khabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to behold
PDK? No way, Porsche left that out during the 958's development since the unit overheats and isn't designed to cope with the stresses of towing or off-roading hence their use of the Aisin torque converter. However small the percentage of people who actually use their Cayennes for those activities, I doubt Porsche would skip those customers and stick the PDK 'box in to make the Cayenne an exclusive street car. My educated guess says they'll stick with the current eight-speed unit for the remainder of the vehicle's lifecycle.

I think a re-engineered PDK might be a better fit in the 2018 Cayenne when the car is built on the lighter MLB-evo platform that Audi will develop for the next generation of VW Group SUVs. I'm pretty confident that the forthcoming Macan will come with the PDK since it's more biased for on-road use and the Audi Q5 it's based on used the double-clutch S Tronic in its first iteration, so that's the Porsche SUV to get if you want a PDK unit in your truck[let].

khabah

Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Thanks so much for all the info guys
As far as PDK,had it on my 997tts..which is a fast car,but PDK precludes power upgrades I believe
I doubt it would be able to handle reliably the 600-650hp i have on me peppah...but who knows,they might surprise us with a new one

Old 04-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by khabah
PDK? No way, Porsche left that out during the 958's development since the unit overheats and isn't designed to cope with the stresses of towing or off-roading hence their use of the Aisin torque converter. However small the percentage of people who actually use their Cayennes for those activities, I doubt Porsche would skip those customers and stick the PDK 'box in to make the Cayenne an exclusive street car. My educated guess says they'll stick with the current eight-speed unit for the remainder of the vehicle's lifecycle.

I think a re-engineered PDK might be a better fit in the 2018 Cayenne when the car is built on the lighter MLB-evo platform that Audi will develop for the next generation of VW Group SUVs. I'm pretty confident that the forthcoming Macan will come with the PDK since it's more biased for on-road use and the Audi Q5 it's based on used the double-clutch S Tronic in its first iteration, so that's the Porsche SUV to get if you want a PDK unit in your truck[let].

khabah
Maybe they found a solution to this problem?

Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I personally don't like the 8speed very much and would welcome the change to a PDK even if it has less cogs.

And the PDK will offer up better fuel economy too compared to our 8 speeds.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:39 PM
nash is infamous around these parts
Take MotorAuthority with a grain of salt. I read the site daily, so I'm not bashing it, but they make a lot of claims about upcoming redesigns that do not pan out. I personally think they just print a lot of conjecture, rather than real insider information. No disrespect intended. I like the site for the spy photos.

I'd be pretty surprised to see PDK in a refresh Cayenne, but you never know.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Acc99
The tail lights look bigger. But where is the change in the front? Also, I thought that they didn't put PDK on the cayenne for some technical reason.
Front change is easy to spot. Can't say i'm a fan of the blowfish mouth look tho.. Also not big on the rear valance either. Hopefully the tail lights will prove to be an improvement.

Daytime running lights look to be the existing ones. I imagine they will use the double stack of LEDS as in new Pana...

Originally Posted by Fkim011
I personally don't like the 8speed very much and would welcome the change to a PDK even if it has less cogs.

And the PDK will offer up better fuel economy too compared to our 8 speeds.
I quite like the 8 speed but I find the 8 speed works better in the diesels. In the petrols I found it tends to shuffle around more when power is demanded as the engine needs more rpms to produce the required torque... so it will reach for another gear more.

Last edited by speed21; 04-14-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:04 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
The 8 speed is awesome. What don't you like about it?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:41 AM
Stonosam has a spectacular aura aboutStonosam has a spectacular aura about
I agree I find the 8 speed box to be a fairly efficient unit. Only issue is that the paddleshift is a little slow.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:07 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by steph280
The 8 speed is awesome. What don't you like about it?
I think as long as you are letting it do its thing its pretty decent (though as mentioned already there is some annoyance with how it works under sudden demand).

If you want to play around in manual mode though, while not horrible, its not great. When it responds there is a delay and I've had multiple cases where it just ignores me.

I haven't driven a PDK so I have no idea how that compares.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:41 PM
sinktheboat is infamous around these parts
i use mine off road a lot and the 8 speed gearbox is useless on and off road. if you can't change into 1st and 2nd gear when you want to it's not sporty at all, the 8 speed over heats off road BTW. PDK is the only answer or manual!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:55 AM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sinktheboat
i use mine off road a lot and the 8 speed gearbox is useless on and off road. if you can't change into 1st and 2nd gear when you want to it's not sporty at all, the 8 speed over heats off road BTW. PDK is the only answer or manual!
PDK will be worse.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:13 AM
visitador is infamous around these partsvisitador is infamous around these parts
Is it me, or the Motor Authority's article seems to be just a repeat of what happened to the Panamera. The last paragraph talks about the Cayenne and then in the same sentence switches to Panamera. I got the feeling that it is just another article based more on speculation than any informed sources.