Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

If we can just save one life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2013 | 04:05 PM
|
TGED is infamous around these parts
If we can just save one life

They should make back up camera mandatory.http://www.cnn.com/video/standard.ht...ew-cameras.cnn

Old 04-13-2013 | 04:48 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
BS

The "just one life" argument is the mantra for many bad laws we have in place (just in the automotive world) and we don't need any more.

You want to save more lives (in the US), then lobby to make it harder to get a license in the first place. Lobby for more intensive driver training so that people actually get some concept of what they are driving and how it handles in all different environments. Lobby for classes of licenses so that driving a SUV requires additional proof of competence to show you know it has horrible blind spots, takes longer to stop, and doesn't corner at high speed as well (shouldn't be limited to just SUVs, all basic types should be classed with appropriate training).

We get the equivalent of a week of training in a compact car and are then released to endanger the masses as we fly around in giant SUVs or high powered cars thinking they'll handle just like we were taught in an underpowered POS.

What happened was horrific and I feel sorry for everyone involved. I would be devastated if something like that happened to my kid, but bad stuff happens and we need to start accepting it and stop forcing crap on people when it won't have a significant difference.

If you want a camera or feel like you need it, then buy a car with it (or add an aftermarket unit). Don't force stuff on people that have no desire or need of it.

Old 04-13-2013 | 06:21 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
gnat, I tend to agree...I have friends that back up (and they have cameras and sensors) and somehow they still manage to back up into walls, curbs...it comes down to people being competent and paying attention. Sad, for sure, and cars should have cameras, as they can only help, but often people are just bad drivers or should not be behind the wheel in the first place.

Old 04-13-2013 | 08:11 PM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
While I agree every car should have one, I don't feel they should be mandated by law. The absensce of a backup camera is a big turnoff when looking at a 991 cabriolet. Turn your head while backing up and it looks as though you see only a wall.

Old 04-13-2013 | 08:15 PM
|
TGED is infamous around these parts
Of course nothing can replace a careful driver, but when a piece of relatively cheap technology can help to avoid accidents, why not have it. Just ask the deceased little girl's parents, I am sure they would agree. I just think of it as an extension of your rear view mirror.

Old 04-13-2013 | 08:58 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TGED
Of course nothing can replace a careful driver, but when a piece of relatively cheap technology can help to avoid accidents, why not have it. Just ask the deceased little girl's parents, I am sure they would agree. I just think of it as an extension of your rear view mirror.
I don't disagree that they can be a useful tool for some, but they should not be required for all. In the end we all have to take personal responsibility.

If you think you need or want it, by all means get it and enjoy.

If its mandated you run into a whole bunch of extra issues (that we've seen with every other mandated "safety" item). The first is that MFGs won't do it out of the goodness of their hearts, so they'll adjust the price and those of us that don't want/need it are now paying for yet another useless (to us) item. When it comes down to it, its another thing that can break (and likely out of warranty). Because its mandated you'll be required to have it operational to pass inspections and since all this stuff is integrated, I suggest you go look at the cost of a new PCM if you have to pay for it yourself and then go look at the active thread about the PCM that is acting up. If the worst happened and you got into an accident while the camera was inoperable and they could prove you neglected to fix it in a timely manner, then you could be facing negligence charges/suits as well. Finally, as sad as it is, people get dependent on these types of things and have no idea how to safely operate cars in its failure modes (e.g. Power assist on steering and brakes or ABS failures).

A car with no traction control, ABS, power steering, etc.. is perfectly safe as long as you understand the limitations on the vehicle. Certainly all those make the car safer when driven in the same manner. Unfortunately they've shown that most people adjust their habits based on that added security (follow closer, drive faster, etc..).

Asking grieving families for their input needs to account for how most people will over react because they want to believe there was a reason or something could have been done. This type of reactive legislation always leads to bad laws and unintended problems. Just look at the mess over guns right now and you can watch it play out. Something needs to be done, but trotting out victims families is no more constructive than the NRA sticking its head in the sand. We should look for a balance in all things which simply can not happen when reacting based on tragedy.

Old 04-14-2013 | 01:48 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
As I am a big fan of backing up into spaces in general,and my garage in particular
..i would be lost without parking sensors
Camera is more of a gimmick
Ps:indeed,make it harder to get a license..back in the day,got mine in NYC in 4 days,thanks to a now defunct driving school..did a few hours of practice,then they took us up to the Bronx,where as long as you did not hit anyone,you got it

Last edited by pepper09tt; 04-14-2013 at 01:54 AM.