Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Damn PCM is crashing suddenly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Damn PCM is crashing suddenly

After 2600 miles on my 2013, the PCM is shutting down and starting up on its own all day. I was using NAV to get somewhere while listening to the JUKE BOX and the crashing started. Back to the dealer.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 PM
EasternLI is infamous around these parts
Had the same thing a year ago, they swapped out the entire unit and its been fine since.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:30 PM
nhirsch is infamous around these partsnhirsch is infamous around these parts
damn. do you have PCM 3.4 or something different? I never had that problem.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 PM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Hope it's rectified quickly. We has intermittent CD skipping on our CTT a few years ago which needed the module being replaced.

Cheers

Old 04-13-2013, 09:38 PM
RAKLAW has a spectacular aura aboutRAKLAW has a spectacular aura about
Dang electric gremlins.
I've been very luck with my two recent ones. Only that clock issue in the 2013
CTTS is perfecto thus far with 3116 miles

Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, just got hope and it keeps happening.
I don't know what my version is but I have the Juke Box but I never see album art displayed.
I guess a whole swap out might be on the horizon like Eastern LI.

I searched around and saw an older posting somewhere that the person disconnected the the car from the battery for a while and everything reset but even though I can do that I'm not sure if I should.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:16 PM
RAKLAW has a spectacular aura aboutRAKLAW has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Harlequin NY
I don't know what my version is but I have the Juke Box but I never see album art displayed.

I searched around and saw an older posting somewhere that the person disconnected the the car from the battery for a while and everything reset but even though I can do that I'm not sure if I should.
You are under warranty
Don't screw around.. Disconnecting the battery open up a lot of other issues

Old 04-13-2013, 10:31 PM
You're right. Will call them Monday.
Thanks.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:29 PM
TGED is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Harlequin NY

If you have Jukebox you should also have album art display.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 AM
LaicepsYdobon is infamous around these parts
It's a bit of a long-shot but try erasing everything from your Jukebox and see if the crashes still keep on happening. If they don't then you know one of the imported files was not encoded correctly and is crashing the PCM. If it does keep on happening with an empty Jukebox then something is not right with PCM itself. It's a bit of a PITA but I would 1) erase all Jukebox contents and 2) reboot the PCM manually. If there are no PCM reboots for a few days I would re-add the file into the Jukebox again.

I had this issue with an iPod many years ago. The thing would either freeze up or restart on its own. Took a while to figure out it was a partially encoded song that caused it to crash.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 AM
I would try a PCM soft reset first. Select CAR, OPTION, SET PCM, RESET PCM, FACTORY SETTING, that will not erase any JUKEBOX content, you just need to re-enter your radio presets. Do not select VEHICLE HANDOVER as this will erase everything.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys. I would try that now. I am willing to erase everything if that works so maybe I will try the VEHICLE HANDOVER.

Thanks, Rob.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM
I just did the full reset.

Pete- it all did start happening when I was using the JUKE BOX so maybe something started it all from there.

I am going to drive around and see what happens. I should know pretty quickly because it was crashing every few minutes. Thanks guys.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 AM
I notice once in a while my Jukebox would show a wrong album art, a PCM reset will quickly correct it. The Jukebox behaves very similar to Windows Media Player which is known for problems. On a computer, WMP would often display a wrong album cover which is very difficult to correct. The PCM does store album art images in some kind of internal memory, because one time after I changed a song album art and the PCM still shows the old art.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 AM
ahhhh. It didn't work. I did full reset and put a few SAT stations in and synched the bluetooth but it crashed and restarted again so I will keep my appointment for tomorrow at the dealer.

Maybe if they drop in a new unit I will see the album art?

Thanks for input, Rob.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Damn PCM is crashing suddenly