Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Diesel: 1st oil change coming up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Diesel: 1st oil change coming up

I'm starting to collect the bits to do my first oil change, but I have a question on the oil.

According to the Mobile One site I need to use their ESP line rather than the normal oil. Are all 5w30 (synth) oils not created equal when it comes to diesels?

If that's what I indeed need to use, anyone got a good source for it? It doesn't seem common in my local part stores.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 PM
gjmattos has a spectacular aura aboutgjmattos has a spectacular aura aboutgjmattos has a spectacular aura about
What is your cost for the oil change and do you plan to service the DEF as well? Do you know if there is a check list of what the dealer will perform at service intervals? While I think it's great to do it yourself I do enjoy recourse while it's under warranty.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 PM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
I ordered C30 oil months ago, because it's otherwise unavailable around here. I've got three cases in the garage now, with another 3 on order. Takes about 3 months for it to arrive from god knows where.

It's important to use an oil that is "DPF-friendly". Using one labeled as meeting/exceeding the Porsche C30 spec takes the worry out of that. What I'm using is Pennzoil Ultra Euro L Full Synthetic in 5W30. I also now my filters online for $13 each, after paying over $20 for the first one from the dealer.

//greg//

Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by gjmattos
What is your cost for the oil change and do you plan to service the DEF as well?
One of the dealers wants $675 (WTF ) and the last time I asked my dealer they still would give me a straight answer. $50 for AdBlue, Oil Filter, Filter Wrench (32mm hex nut), and a set of ratchet driven allen wrenches (6mm for the drain plug) plus whatever the oil will cost is going to be far better than the cheapest I've heard people report ($300).

As far as the AdBlue, I picked up a bottle so I have some on hand. I don't plan, however, to add any until it actually tells me that I need it. And at that point I'll order enough to fill the tank. This bottle is my "just in case" backup to keep from being stranded somewhere.

Do you know if there is a check list of what the dealer will perform at service intervals?
It's in the service booklet. The 5k is pretty much just the oil and standard visual checks.

While I think it's great to do it yourself I do enjoy recourse while it's under warranty.
As long as you keep evidence of the work (e.g. receipts) you have every bit as much power in regards to your warranty as if you have the dealer to it. The only case where having all your work done at the dealer may help is if you have a serious issue outside of warranty. If you've given them lots of money over the years they are far more likely to try to work on your behalf with the MFG, but there is no guaranty of that (a lot depends on the dealer and the problem).

Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 PM
gjmattos has a spectacular aura aboutgjmattos has a spectacular aura aboutgjmattos has a spectacular aura about
Sounds good, get to know expiration issues on the AdBlue as I hear it's a little vague and don't forget the complimentary wash when you done.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by gjmattos
Sounds good, get to know expiration issues on the AdBlue as I hear it's a little vague and don't forget the complimentary wash when you done.
They burned my clear coat the last time they washed it and it's going to cost me $300 to fix (it was about a month after the fact that I noticed due to not catching it in the sun). So a free "paint trashing" is no incentive for me.

As far as the shelf life goes, as long as you don't leave it in the heat it sounds like it will last just fine (in an unopened bottle) for a long time. Since I'm rarely more than 100 miles from the house the only time I'll have it in the car will be for long road trips which are a once/twice a year thing.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
Don't forget Mobil 1 pays to put their sticker in the engine bay. They do have a correct formulation for the diesel to keep the particulate filter working properly but you can also go to a VW dealer and get their 507 something oil for their TDI Touareg. Its in one of the manuals if you need the complete number.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by TAch Miami
Don't forget Mobil 1 pays to put their sticker in the engine bay. They do have a correct formulation for the diesel to keep the particulate filter working properly but you can also go to a VW dealer and get their 507 something oil for their TDI Touareg. Its in one of the manuals if you need the complete number.
Its VW 507.00. I have to go by my local VW dealer to order a dipstick (the Audi dealers say the PN I have is Euro so they can't order it) and I figure I'll see what they charge for the oil. I did find one place localish that carries the Mobile 1, but they want $13 a pop!

Old 04-18-2013, 02:45 PM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Doing my first oil change this weekend too. As indicated earlier, I'm using a Porsche C30 spec Pennzoil Euro Ultra L full synthetic in 5W30. Case rate plus tax brings it home at around $8 per. Got 958 107 222 20 filters from Gaudin Motors - mail order from Vegas - at about $15 each delivered. Going to break in my new oil extractor right in the driveway. It will pay for itself on the first oil change.

Buying a dipstick is a dangerous proposition unless/until you know the right diameter and depth. I recommend you buy a six pack for the service manager to get that data off their shop calibration dipstick that's specific to this engine

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 04-18-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Picked up my oil today from the VW dealer at $9.19 a liter. It's just Castrol Edge Professional LL03 (not that I can find that anywhere else locally either). He mischarged me for only 7 liters (and was going to let it go which was nice), but I realized that since this is part of my documentation I need it to be correct.

My filter should be in sometime next week, so next weekend it should have a date with some jack stands in WV.

I called another Porsche dealer (closer than mine, but one I don't like dealing with if possible) and their parts guy said they don't carry the C30 5w30. Instead they are apparently using the Mobile 1 ESP 5w40 for their Diesel oil changes and claims Porsche says that is fine. Anyone that has had their oil changed at a dealer have any idea what they filled you with?

Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gnat
Picked up my oil today from the VW dealer at $9.19 a liter. It's just Castrol Edge Professional LL03 (not that I can find that anywhere else locally either). He mischarged me for only 7 liters (and was going to let it go which was nice), but I realized that since this is part of my documentation I need it to be correct.

My filter should be in sometime next week, so next weekend it should have a date with some jack stands in WV.

I called another Porsche dealer (closer than mine, but one I don't like dealing with if possible) and their parts guy said they don't carry the C30 5w30. Instead they are apparently using the Mobile 1 ESP 5w40 for their Diesel oil changes and claims Porsche says that is fine. Anyone that has had their oil changed at a dealer have any idea what they filled you with?
Gnat...

I used to live in W. Springfield and my dealer would have likely been Tysons Corner. Is that who you go to? Or Arlington?

Old 04-20-2013, 07:39 PM
We make the trek to Rockville (though after their detailers screwed my paint and I found today didn't clean under the seat which was the whole point, that may change). HBL/Tysons is my closest dealer, but I hate dealing with them as their sales department is/was slim and I knew far too many people that got their cars back with all kinds of new dings and dents when in for service (which HBL would of course deny).

I think it was Alexandria that told me an oil change would be $675!! That call saved me the trouble of ever calling/going by again (that might also be the dealer that tried to tell us that coffee stains on the ceiling were "normal" when we looked at a used 996 while waiting on my wife's build slot).

Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM
stronbl has a spectacular aura aboutstronbl has a spectacular aura about
These guys (Matrix Synthetic Oils) have a large selection that meet Porsche approvals. Attached is the Mobile 1 ESP link. Prices are a bit high when you add shipping but service is fast and selection is good.

http://matrixsyntheticoils.com/store..._esp_oils.html

Old 04-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by gnat
I called another Porsche dealer (closer than mine, but one I don't like dealing with if possible) and their parts guy said they don't carry the C30 5w30. Instead they are apparently using the Mobile 1 ESP 5w40 for their Diesel oil changes and claims Porsche says that is fine.
Talking to my dealer about some related stuff today I asked them about the oil they use and they also use the 5w40 instead of the 5w30 the manual states. Be really nice if they actually gave their customers all the information they give to the dealers for this stuff that should be user serviceable

The information I was asking about was the torque values for the filter and drain plug. He says they don't have the numbers for the drain plug as Porsche's guidance is to suck it out from the top so they don't pull the plug. The filter should be torqued to 26lbs or 35nm.

He also confirmed that like the gas V6 the proper procedure for removing the oil filter is to twist the cap to "unlock" it and let the oil drain out. Then you remove it the rest of the way and pull the filter out.

I'm not sure which is more stupid in my opinion. Not suppling a dipstick or having the oil filter on the top of the engine where it is near impossible to not make a mess...

Oh well, this weekend should be fun.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:27 PM
No mess whatsoever during the filter swap. I do however recommend a funnel and a rag when it comes time to pour in the fresh oil.

Regarding 5W30 alternatives. I see nothing wrong with 0W40 or 5W40, providing it conforms to the C30 spec. What's important thing is that it has the appropriate additive to hold particulates in suspension (which is why it turns black) and that it be DPF-friendly. That pretty much sums up the C30 spec. As far as viscosity, I can only speculate. 15W40 was the workhorse weight in older engines that ran thermostats anywhere from 70C to 85C. These "clean diesels" run 95C thermostats, which by design propagate higher oil temps. Mine run 220F (+/- 10), notably warmer than the older diesels. So perhaps the 5W30 is a temperature accommodation

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 04-24-2013 at 05:32 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diesel: 1st oil change coming up