Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne vs new X5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
I have had 5 bmw's before getting my first porsche in 2009. Have not gone back to bmw. I am not saying I never will but right now they have nothing that really interests me. Actually there are a few that are interesting but there is really good competition now and they are not keeping up.
The turbo engines in the BMW's have nothing been problematic.

Basically lemoned one. Got rid of the other.

Unless they can figure out how to build turbo engines or go back to a NA system, I am staying as far away from BMW as I can...

Old 07-12-2013, 03:02 PM
grhymes is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I have owned 23 BMW cars and 3 weeks ago I traded in my last one (a perfect condition 11 M3 ) and can say I am done with BMW (unless financially I had to downgrade) .

BMW makes great cars but none of them possess the driving chracteristics that I have found in my Porsches (I have 3 of them) . This current Cayenne line up happens to be best Porsche Cayenne built and it's my opinion that its the best SUV made .

Since you live outside the US I don't know if BMW offers things like "free service" or decent leasing choices in your region. I don't lease my cars and Porsche service is not free so ultimately it may cost more to own a Porsche but it's my opinion that its worth it.

Good luck !!
Amen. Couldent have said it better myself

Old 11-01-2013, 12:45 AM
sarends is infamous around these parts
I too am a BMW fan of old.

We have a 2011 X5 Xdrive 5.0 with Adaptive Drive - it is a NICE car. I also have a 13 Touareg TDI for my work vehicle - I really love this car - a big surprise as it is a favorite car of mine.

If I were considering BMW F15 X5 vs Cayenne, the decision would be easy - Cayenne all the way. I am like most current BMW X5 fans - I too hate the new X5 F15.

When my wife gets ready to trade the X5, the Cayenne TDI will be the first to consider.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 AM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
I thought about this for a minute. Then came to my senses...

I had, much like most of the brethren before me in this thread, been a big BMW guy. Had 06 530i Msport, 08 X5 4.8i sport, 08 M5 SMG, and 10 X5M. They were all really good, and enjoyed the performance, etc, until the X5M. I had a major engine malfunction, spent nearly 4 months in various service, had to argue with BMW NA about how the lemon law worked (I lived in KY, bought the car from the same dealer as the others in Atlanta, and nearest service center was in WV) when all I wanted was to reorder and no money, and finally after threatening with legal action did they offer to replace. After that, I was done.

Haven't really looked back. Will say, however, I think the new X5 interior is MUCH improved over the previous model. Much nicer, in general. Looks like they are expanding their individual coverage too. That should make it nicer for those who want to really personalise their models.

J

Old 11-03-2013, 02:29 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
The pics of the bimmers interior looks nice. Also i think its overall weight has been reduced.
I cant wait to see the refreshed cayenne in 15

Old 11-04-2013, 04:19 PM
kechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to behold
I've had two prior x5 4.4i and was also waiting for the 2014 x5 to come out for a while, the moment I saw the leaked photos was when I started looking else where, didn't even bother to look at it in person, very disappointed at the new rear so didn't even want to bother.

it landed me on this forum and ordered the cayenne =)

Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
From the pics I actually thought it was ugly, well the regular F15 X5 really is, but in the flesh and dressed with the Mpack, it is a stunner, amazing how the exterior body kit and sport interior really transform the car.
Never though I would trade my GTS for an X5, but today I felt in love with this 3.0d in mineral white, very agressive looks and beautiful interior, then took a test drive and wow all that torque!! felt much faster and solid than my GTS arround town, I couldnt resist any further, bought it right away.
I love my GTS but BMW won me back with this one, will post further impressions and quality pics as soon it arrives home.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fotom.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	299583  

Last edited by galion; 11-11-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:21 AM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
Galion,

That is sharp mate! Post some pics of the interior and more exterior shots when you can.

J

Old 11-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Looks terrible without the MSport package. With it, it looks good. Have seen several on the road now.

I am definitely not unhappy I ordered the Cayenne, though.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:02 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Looks terrible without the MSport package. With it, it looks good. Have seen several on the road now.

I am definitely not unhappy I ordered the Cayenne, though.
Agree, just compare this one with mine a couple of posts above.
Ugly as hell! bland and overstyled, The M sport pack makes a whole world of difference, unbelievable.
On the new X5 I like all the technology included as std equipment for a fair price, cameras everywhere, keyless go, cool multicolor ambient light, auto rear hatch, a pano roof with a hard cover instead of the useless mesh I have in my GTS, etc, etc. I am tired of the Porsche crazy priced options.
Cayenne is a class leader, no doubt about it, but the ride on this X5 comes very close in terms of the sporty feel without compromising comfort, and interior design and materials are top notch.
I guess I am becoming a turbo guy, havent driven the gas 6cyl 3.5 turbo yet but both X5 Gas V8 4.4T and diesel 3.0T are torque monsters, very, very fast for an SUV in this category, on the other hand I was never happy with the lack of low end torque on my Cayenne GTS and I cant afford a Turbo to remedy this.

Name:	282_X5_50i-850x566.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	299985  

Last edited by galion; 11-12-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:03 PM
dyim is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by galion
I was never happy with the lack of low end torque on my Cayenne GTS and I cant afford a Turbo to remedy this.
What year GTS do you have? I am interested in your comments about the GTS since I am thinking of getting a 2015.

No question turbo cayenne is faster but once you get the revs up in the GTS, do you still feel the GTS being slow?

I have a 991 C2S and BMW 135. The BMW feels faster at lower revs but the 991 definitely comes alive at higher revs.

Very interested in your comments of GTS vs X5.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:58 PM
X5B4 is infamous around these parts
Very nice, congrats.

My BMW dealer said he was sold out of X5's into next year when I spoke to him last week.

Would like more pics and a detailed comparison to the GTS when you can.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by dyim
What year GTS do you have? I am interested in yourcomments about the GTS since I am thinking of getting a 2015.
Originally Posted by dyim

No question turbo cayenne is faster but once you get the revs up inthe GTS, do you still feel the GTS being slow?

I have a 991 C2S and BMW 135. The BMW feels faster at lower revs butthe 991 definitely comes alive at higher revs.

Very interested in your comments of GTS vs X5.

My 13' GTS is a fantastic SUV, it has enough muscle to go up to 260km/h without effort, a true autobahn cruiser, but it never gave me that "kick in the pants" feel. Acceleration is progressive rather than agressive. The X5 diesel feels much, much faster in the low to mid rev range. During my testdrive, I was expecting to run out of air above 3500rpm but it pushed really hard above 5000rpm up to 180km/h, its the same analogy you did between the 135i and your 911, I have 991S and had a 1M before and I know exactly what you mean, nothing wrong with that because I prefer N/A engines with a smooth powerband on a sports car/weekend toy , but for a DD SUV I tend to prefer something that will pull hard from low & mid revs, I suppose in the end it's all about driving style.
IMO the X5 is more fun to drive relaxed arround town and more adecuate for stop and go traffic, The GTS needs to be revved to appreciate its potential, which in my congested city is almost impossible to do 95% of the time, but when you do, it never feels as explosive as the 991 Carrera in the upper rev range, an orange to apples silly comparison, I know.

Steering is lighter on the X5 but perfectly balanced above 45km/h, it has enough feedback to stay connected to the road but still no match for the GTS ultra sharp steering.

The GTS rides stiffer even on its softest PASM setting, a little harsh for my likings. The X5 rides more comfortable without loosing its sporty character, I pushed it really hard on tight curves and body roll was almost absent, BMW did a great job on this one, greatly improved from the last e70 X5. I prefer the X5 suspension which is finely tuned for real world driving, but hard to tell if its better than my last 11' Cayenne S w/ air suspension.

Originally Posted by X5B4
Very nice, congrats.
Originally Posted by X5B4

My BMW dealer said he was sold out of X5's into next year when I spoke tohim last week.
Would like more pics and a detailed comparison to the GTS when youcan.
Thanks to you and Jason, I'll post some quality pics this weekend as soon as I get her home, in the meantime, heres more crappy iphone pics.

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	525.4 KB
ID:	301442   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	301443   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	301444   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	570.8 KB
ID:	301445   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	667.7 KB
ID:	301446  

Last edited by galion; 11-15-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 PM
dyim is infamous around these parts
^thanks for your reply.

I assume the GTS still rides softer than the 991, correct? I do not have SPASM on my 991 and I found it OK on normal setting.

GTS obviously will be a family car and I do not mind if it rides a bit softer.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 AM
SUV55 is infamous around these parts
Galion, did you get your M Sport with (2VF) adaptive M suspension, which has Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension or the (ZDH) Dynamic Handling Package?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs new X5