Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 10:31 AM
sjg1138 is infamous around these partssjg1138 is infamous around these parts
Here is the Chinese recall:

http://www.aqsiq.gov.cn/zjsj/zhxx/20...417_436568.htm

If you are using Google Chrome, it will translate the page for you.

Crazy that a car can be recalled in China but NOT the U.S.

This appears to be a database where consumers can submit issues with their cars:
http://www.dpac.gov.cn/cpqxcj/Vehicl...Publicity.aspx

Last edited by sjg1138; 10-31-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:13 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sjg1138
Here is the Chinese recall:

http://www.aqsiq.gov.cn/zjsj/zhxx/20...417_436568.htm

If you are using Google Chrome, it will translate the page for you.

Crazy that a car can be recalled in China but NOT the U.S.

This appears to be a database where consumers can submit issues with their cars:
http://www.dpac.gov.cn/cpqxcj/Vehicl...Publicity.aspx
Here is a screen capture of the page. Note that if you open the page - and click on the "English" link in the top right corner - the page reopens in English, but with today's date - and nothing about the recall is shown. This capture was obtained by opening the link in Chrome - and letting Google translate do it's thing.

Last edited by deilenberger; 11-02-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:02 AM
Sanh43 is infamous around these parts
Hello all. Never knew this problem existed until Thursday of last week when my check engine light came on. Went a reputable Porsche shop and he told me that I have cylinders misfiring and camshaft adjust etc..after reading every page, I have the symptoms of engine failure. Sad part is I just bought this 2010 panamera s 66k about a month ago.(not at Porsche dealership) Long story short it's being towed to the nearest Porsche dealership. The SA said he might be able to do something for me. Fingers crossed.

On a side note I took it to Porsche for a ppi and nothing was out of the ordinary imo aside hearing used car stuff. Told the SA as long as the engine and tranny was ok I'm content. Told me nothing that they can see beside shifting. And now this. Stressed!!

Old 11-02-2016, 09:35 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Sanh - sorry to hear this. Please keep us in the loop as to what the Porsche dealer offers to do. And also do consider following the instructions given earlier in this thread to report the problem to NHTSA/DOT.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Sanh,

Very sorry to hear of your issues. Hopefully Porsche will do the right thing.
Could you provide the Build Month/Year of your Cayennne? Is it an S or Turbo or base model?

Old 11-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by sjg1138
Sanh,

Very sorry to hear of your issues. Hopefully Porsche will do the right thing.
Could you provide the Build Month/Year of your Cayennne? Is it an S or Turbo or base model?
I See dates 2/10 and 3-10-2011. I'm guessing the later is date sold? SA emailed and said they're going to charge me 180 est up front. but he said he'll see if he can get help from corporate for this.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:47 PM
2010 panamera s. 2/10 and 3-11-10 I'm guessing the later is the date sold? The SA called me back, they have to charge me 180 est upfront for now and he's going to contact corporate to see if they'll help. Fingers crossed still

Old 11-02-2016, 03:11 PM
If anyone is interested - here are the two Japanese recall documents:

The interesting part is the range of production that is covered - looks WAY wider than the very limited VIN#'s covered by the US based WC-22.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:40 PM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
us , china ? These should be covered all over the world ! I drive my car fast and so does many other owners . If these failure happens during spirited run and brakes fail , who is going to be responsible for the crash or even worse , the death of the driver ? Are they going to blame the tires ?

Old 11-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by porschecayenne92
us , china ? These should be covered all over the world ! I drive my car fast and so does many other owners . If these failure happens during spirited run and brakes fail , who is going to be responsible for the crash or even worse , the death of the driver ? Are they going to blame the tires ?
I'm sure the driver will get the blame. In the case of a serious crash, unless there is obvious evidence it was caused by this failure - I bet it would never even come up. And I bet that's what Porsche is counting on...

Old 11-06-2016, 12:32 AM
Another one: http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-c...g-problem.html

That's two (at least) this past week.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:10 AM
The BMW guys have a similar issue...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/au...r-engines.html

The BMW Vanos bolts that failed look EXACTLY like the bolts that are failing on the Porsches.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=951718&page=3

The manufacturer of the BMW Vanos system with failed bolts is the same as the manufacturer of the Cayenne cam adjuster unit that is failing.

Porsche needs to recall these immediately.

http://www.bmwblog.si/media/2014/08/...V176-8618P.pdf

Old 11-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Hi everyone. If you experienced this issue (the cam adjuster bolts breaking), it would be great if you could share your VIN number and whether or not Porsche covered the cost of the repair. Feel free to send me a PM me if you like.

Here (from the NHTSA) is an interesting document from the BMW Vanos failure showing the broken aluminum bolts and how BMW dealt with the fix. This all looks just like the Porsche cam adjuster aluminum bolts.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...4V176-8438.pdf

Last edited by sjg1138; 11-10-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:44 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I checked my March 2011 build Cayenne S, and it does have the weak aluminum bolts. Dealer will replace parts, under my CPO warranty. Apparently it is not covered if there is no noise, or serious failure. Said was more an issue with the Panoramas, which is odd, as thought was same 4.8 engine.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by mto
I checked my March 2011 build Cayenne S, and it does have the weak aluminum bolts. Dealer will replace parts, under my CPO warranty. Apparently it is not covered if there is no noise, or serious failure. Said was more an issue with the Panoramas, which is odd, as thought was same 4.8 engine.
The dealer will replace the parts without a failure? Or just under CPO if there is a failure?

And he's spinning tales with it being more an issues with the Panamera - it's the same damn engines.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?