Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 11:41 AM
stas101 is infamous around these parts
Well....Porsche NA refused to fix it claiming lack of maintenance records and out of all warranties .....nice going Porsche.....First you mess up the engine in 75000$ car then you refuse to admit your own mess....Im reporting all this to anywhere I can.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:23 PM
sjg1138 is infamous around these partssjg1138 is infamous around these parts
Agreed Stas101.

Porsche refused to cover your car under the Federal emissions warranty (8 yrs/ 80K miles)?

Would you mind sharing your car's VIN for our list?

Old 11-11-2016, 12:28 PM
WP1AB2A28BLA48985
2011 Cayenne S
84000 miles

Old 11-11-2016, 01:53 PM
sterz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stas101
Well....Porsche NA refused to fix it claiming lack of maintenance records and out of all warranties .....nice going Porsche.....First you mess up the engine in 75000$ car then you refuse to admit your own mess....Im reporting all this to anywhere I can.
there was a lawyer on here that has written up a little article on the cam bolts, you should give him a call.

i'm also curious to get his thoughts on the bmw recall since it's the same part/issue/manufacturer.

i was waiting to hear what would happen with your car and now that i know porsche doesn't stand behind their product, it's time to leave. wife is getting a GLE and i'll settle for the C63 coupe.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:14 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sterz
i was waiting to hear what would happen with your car and now that i know porsche doesn't stand behind their product, it's time to leave. wife is getting a GLE and i'll settle for the C63 coupe.
Before jumping to the 3-pointed star, you may want to hang out on some Mercedes forums for a bit. I know they have been experiencing serious engine problems for about 10 years. I have no idea how they're supporting people who own Mercedes with a bit of age on them.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:38 PM
there was a lawyer on here that has written up a little article on the cam bolts, you should give him a call.

i'm also curious to get his thoughts on the bmw recall since it's the same part/issue/manufacturer.

Yes this is very sad.I could have understood their position if I made any mods to the engine or tried to do something by myself but its CLEARLY their mess regardless of mileage, warranty or year of the vehicle. Always had Lexus and this was my second Porsche....really love them BUT...I can't be dealing with such stress. Well....this will be over Facebook and other social networks I promise you that POrsche....

Old 11-11-2016, 02:49 PM
They claimed the cost will be around 7000$ if done at the dealer. Engine is ok nothing serious happened to it. Im taking the car back to my local mechanics who I know well we will try to fix it. Cam shaft adjuster goes as an assembly so can not simply swap bolts....

Old 11-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Before jumping to the 3-pointed star, you may want to hang out on some Mercedes forums for a bit. I know they have been experiencing serious engine problems for about 10 years. I have no idea how they're supporting people who own Mercedes with a bit of age on them.
I'll be leasing, I'm done buying European cars. They are definitely not what they used to be.

Lease European, buy Asian.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:08 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
I'll be leasing, I'm done buying European cars. They are definitely not what they used to be.

Lease European, buy Asian.
Sounds exactly like my friendly local independent mechanic..

Old 11-12-2016, 10:21 AM
not sure if we had this covered in here but this article states the manufacturing dates of the china recall

http://www.reuters.com/article/porsc...0VH06C20150207

Recalled cars include several imported Panamera models made from April 2009 to Sept. 2011 and two imported Cayenne models made from March 2010 to Sept. 2011
Mine is a Sept 2011 manufacturing date and I have the aluminum bolts. I'll give porsche NA a call just for the hell of it to see what they have to say. (note - i had previously called them about it and they said since my car was not included in the wc-22 campaign, i have nothing to worry about.)

edit - anyone have a link to the article the lawyer put together? might need to be updated now that we have the bmw recall info and shared with the automotive news sites.

Last edited by sterz; 11-12-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Old 11-15-2016, 11:13 PM
Hi everyone,

It would be great if you could report your Camshaft bolt issues to the NHTSA. If enough people report the problem, they may start an investigation into the issue.

You can call the NHTSA and they will collect the info from you at 1-888-327-4236 or you can fill out a form online at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Many thanks for your help on this! We need Porsche to step up and get this fixed.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:18 AM
Sanh43 is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=deilenberger;4576195]Sanh - sorry to hear this. Please keep us in the loop as to what the Porsche dealer offers to do. And also do consider following the instructions given earlier in this thread to report the problem to NHTSA/DOT.[/QUOTE
so my sa told me that pcna told them to just change my oil and we'll go from there. He also told me to come get my car and drive it to see if the check light will pop up again. Idk what an oil change will do for the codes that went off, but if pcna is giving these protocols I guess I shouldn't be too worried about driving it? I'm just abit curious to how can the independent I went to first spot my camshaft a few mm off in less than an hour. but Porsche is telling me to drive the car after an oil change.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:25 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
becauase its pretty comon for cam sensors to get dirty and an oil change helps to clean them . At least for the 911 guys . They must have found the cam overtiming code in your car just as me , P0021 or 0011 . Also the timing belt in your cars is very sensitive and even a little bit of deviance will throw the code.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:07 AM
I can't stress enough the importance of reporting failures to the NHTSA (1-888-327-4236). When BMW did their VANOS recall (a similar bolt failure), there were only 12 incidents in the the U.S. of VANOS-related failures.

There have been almost that many Cam bolt failures reported here and on Rennlist for the Cayenne and I suspect there are many more that have gone unreported ( and maybe that Porsche has quietly fixed ).

If everyone reports their failures to the NHTSA, maybe Porsche will pay attention.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?