Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 AM
Sybco is infamous around these parts
Can anyone recommend anything else that I should do while this work is performed
I am Having plugs and coils done, as well as oil change.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:07 PM
sjg1138 is infamous around these partssjg1138 is infamous around these parts
Look familiar? http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=863669&page=3

"Just got my 135 back today after having sheared off bolts on both Vanos units. MY car is a 04/2010 production date. I am 4,000 Kms out of warranty so I got the pleasure of paying for the repair. I will be giving BMW a call to discuss some goodwill as this is obviously a defect and I was unlucky enough to have it last through the warranty period just barely. Expensive and annoying to have to deal with.
Attached Images"

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW VANOS failure.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	606.6 KB
ID:	470468  
Old 02-23-2017, 06:37 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sjg1138
Look familiar? http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=863669&page=3

"Just got my 135 back today after having sheared off bolts on both Vanos units. MY car is a 04/2010 production date. I am 4,000 Kms out of warranty so I got the pleasure of paying for the repair. I will be giving BMW a call to discuss some goodwill as this is obviously a defect and I was unlucky enough to have it last through the warranty period just barely. Expensive and annoying to have to deal with.
Attached Images"
Interesting production date eh? Right about the beginning of problems on the 958 V8's..

Also interesting is how the head sheered off - you can see very little metal was actually holding the bolt head on the shaft. Not a great design in steel, an awful design in aluminum. The new adjusters use allen-head steel bolts - probably just like the earlier V8 engines did.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:50 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sybco
Can anyone recommend anything else that I should do while this work is performed
I am Having plugs and coils done, as well as oil change.
In my case I also had the serpentine belt replaced - just based on age/mileage. I ended up also getting the water pump replaced - same reason (it wasn't leaking of wobbly) after they had to take the engine out to fix the valves that they bent. It would never be easier - and they didn't charge for labor to do it. I just paid for the new pump.

Plugs yes - coils I don't know if I'd bother if there are no symptoms, unless you are loath to do the job yourself later on (it's not a terrible job to do, and only requires mostly basic tools.) The dealership did replace my plugs - which were almost new anyway - and it wasn't at my cost so more power to them.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:55 PM
HonkyDude is infamous around these parts
2011 Cayenne Turbo Bolts sheared

Great forum - thank you for the info on this thread which has been most useful to me when my 2011 Cayenne Turbo with 50k miles recently sheared the cam adjuster bolts. The vehicle dashboard lit up with all the warnings mentioned above, then the car shook *terribly*, so I coasted to a halt and stopped the engine.

The car is under extended factory warranty so Porsche has fixed the issue at no cost to me (other than the cost of the extended warranty).

I was told by Porsche that the problem was a "cam cradle", without any further explanation, then I found this website which I showed to Porsche at which they were then able to let me know that indeed this was the problem with my car. I was disappointed at this evasiveness and also to find out that the issue is known to Porsche (and certainly not a one-off) but has not been remedied other than in China it seems. I was driving along a dangerous cliff-top road at the time, and the sudden failure of the car put me in a potentially dangerous situation.

When the flatbed tow truck arrived, the car wouldn't start and so the steering wouldn't work either. The tow truck driver tried to force the steering wheel with the motor off but it wouldn't turn - can the attempted forcing of the steering wheel do any damage to the steering? Hopefully not, although I have noticed the steering has a bit of a shudder now at times.

Thanks again for the information on this thread which has been very useful to me in identifying the problem and understanding it.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:19 PM
Thanks for letting us know HonkyDude. Glad no one was hurt.

Do you happen to know the build month and year of your Cayenne (you can plug in your VIN to a website and get it) ? Also what month/year did the failure occur in?

We have 18 documented failures here on 6speed and are gathering data on each one. When BMW did their recall in the U.S. they had 12 failures.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:58 AM
HonkyDude - also - if in the USA (there is a Melbourne Florida I believe, besides the one in Australia) please DO report this to NHTSA/DOT. There are instructions on how to in the thread above.

EDIT: Forget NHTSA/DOT - I see you are in Oz. Is there a NHTSA/DOT equivalent in Australia?

Old 03-01-2017, 12:29 PM
2012 CTT returned today. Bad parts are in hand, part # ending in 21. One of the controller's is completely intact. The other, all 4 bolts were sheared off..
total cost $3580 which includes, plugs and oil change.
Can anyone provide an email or phone number for Porsche .
My thoughts are to include pictures of the bad part (number), as well as their workshop campaign. Including the list of repairs made this past year with full Porsche service records from day 1

Last edited by Sybco; 03-01-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Which side of the engine did the failure occur on (the one with the oil filler or the other side)?

Old 03-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Sybco
2012 CTT returned today. Bad parts are in hand, part # ending in 21. One of the controller's is completely intact. The other, all 4 bolts were sheared off..
total cost $3580 which includes, plugs and oil change.
Can anyone provide an email or phone number for Porsche .
My thoughts are to include pictures of the bad part (number), as well as their workshop campaign. Including the list of repairs made this past year with full Porsche service records from day 1
If you've owned it since new, and it's always been Porsche serviced I'm surprised Porsche didn't come through. Those are the sort of conditions where Porsche will kick in something to keep you as a customer IF the dealership asks. It sounds as if the dealer didn't bother to apply enough pressure or Porsche just blew them off when they heard 125,000 miles..

Last edited by deilenberger; 03-01-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:26 PM
Of the four documented cases of Porsche NOT covering the expense, all the cars had over 80K miles on them. The car with the most miles on it that Porsche covered the expense had 72K miles on it.

We have 18 cases of the failure in Cayennes (S & Turbo) documented here on 6Speed.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by sjg1138
Which side of the engine did the failure occur on (the one with the oil filler or the other side)?
Bank 2 failed, whatever side that is?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
If you've owned it since new, and it's always been Porsche serviced I'm surprised Porsche didn't come through. Those are the sort of conditions where Porsche will kick in something to keep you as a customer IF the dealership asks. It sounds as if the dealer didn't bother to apply enough pressure or Porsche just blew them off when they heard 125,000 miles..
i have not owned since new...2nd owner. I meant that between 2 owners, it has always been Porsche serviced.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:44 AM
I believe Bank Two is the Passenger side (in the U.S. anyway). That is also the side with the oil filler.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Factory manual is totally confusing:

Then in other written instructions it says things like:

And then later - in an illustration, it shows:

Which is clearly the bank on the drivers side (in the US) since you can see the Variocam adjuster - and it's located on the inside (toward the V) of the head.

So it appears Bank-1 is cylinders 5-8, and Bank-2 is cylinders 1-4. Go figure..

Last edited by deilenberger; 03-02-2017 at 10:37 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?