Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:57 AM
Mike 41 is infamous around these parts
Is there a list of serial numbers for '12 models that have the problem? I tried looking in the oil fill but don't have mirror to see the bolts.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:12 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike 41
Is there a list of serial numbers for '12 models that have the problem? I tried looking in the oil fill but don't have mirror to see the bolts.
No there isn't. A small dental mirror works great. ANY mirror or even piece of mirror that will fit in the oil fill hole should do the job.

EDIT: Just noticed - this was post 1,000 for me here! Kewl!

Old 03-07-2017, 07:38 AM
sjg1138 is infamous around these partssjg1138 is infamous around these parts
On the NHTSA website there have been 6 incidents of this failure reported for the 2011 Cayenne S and 3 for the Turbo.

When BMW did their massive recall of their VANOS issue (the same issue here) there were 12 incidents reported on the NHTSA website.

For anyone on here that has not reported their camshaft bolt failure on NHTSA, please do. We are getting close. Lets make this happen!

Use 1-888-327-4236 or you can fill out a form online at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Sybco is infamous around these parts
I received a follow up email from the NHTSA as I will share with those interested...

"To help us evaluate your complaint, I would appreciate it if you could forward me the following items if available:
1. Further description of what happened. You wrote that the “vehicle lost power while driving,including braking system and power steering”. More detail will be helpful, especially about the last two parts of the incident
2. Photos of the defective parts, with a focus on the part number if it is visible
3. Copies of any repair estimates
4. Copies of communications you have had with the manufacturer about this issue

In addition, may NHTSA have your permission to share your vehicle identification number (VIN) with the manufacturer? I think it will help my analysis to get more technical details surrounding what happened. If you have any questions or comments.

I have responded with more details , including picture of the bad part with serial number, repair invoice, W22 Workshop Campaign, as well as a screenshot of this stickey thread to show the relevancy of this problem.

Maybe iam being overally optimistic, but feels like some progress is possible here my friends!

​​​​

Last edited by Sybco; 03-07-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:41 AM
I received a follow up email from the NHTSA as I will share with those interested...

"To help us evaluate your complaint, I would appreciate it if you could forward me the following items if available:
1. Further description of what happened. You wrote that the “vehicle lost power while driving,including braking system and power steering”. More detail will be helpful, especially about the last two parts of the incident
2. Photos of the defective parts, with a focus on the part number if it is visible
3. Copies of any repair estimates
4. Copies of communications you have had with the manufacturer about this issue

In addition, may NHTSA have your permission to share your vehicle identification number (VIN) with the manufacturer? I think it will help my analysis to get more technical details surrounding what happened. If you have any questions or comments

I have responded with more details , including picture of the bad part with serial number, repair invoice, W22 Workshop Campaign, as well as a screenshot of this stickey thread to show the relevancy of this problem.

Maybe iam being overally optimistic, but feels like some progress is possible here my friends!

As I was posting this I received another reply...
"Thank you for the prompt reply. Indeed, this issue is well known and also happens on the Porsche Panamera. Your information is another case of this issue and will help with my analysis."

​​​​

Last edited by Sybco; 03-07-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 AM
kozzimo55 is infamous around these parts
I purchased the car two weeks ago and drove it for about 350 miles before hearing about this issue. I opened the oil filler and immediately saw they are the "affected type". The car is running perfectly smooth and I don't have any check engine lights. Shop time is only 6.6 hours, so this really isn't a huge job. I have the full parts list if anyone is interested. I might make a video for those others that want to do this preventatively.

I have called 5 dealerships here in California, and I am hearing the same thing from each of them. I'm the 2nd owner and the services were regularly completed through an Authorized Porsche Dealership. All five dealerships have pretended that they have never heard of this issue, which I found strange.

Someone on here mentioned that this would be cover by CA's mandatory 7/70 Emissions Warranty. What is the process for this being that I am out of warranty?

Does anyone know how to go about pursuing this with Porsche NA directly, rather than the dealerships?

Last edited by kozzimo55; 06-05-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Well, I spoke with Porsche North America's customer commitment team, and I must say that I was incredibly impressed with the way they are looking into my situation. There is no guarantee that they will cover anything for me since I am complete out of warranty, but the fact that they did not slam any doors in my face yet was very nice. I will keep you guys posted on what transpires.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Thank you for letting us know kozzimo55.

Please report it to the NHTSA asap. It seems that they are starting to look at this!

1-888-327-4236 or you can fill out a form online at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Old 03-09-2017, 07:32 AM
For anyone out there that is having this fixed PRIOR to the failure and paying out of your own pocket, according to the TREAD Act of 2000, if there is a federally mandated recall, Porsche will have to reimburse you for the repair cost. BMW did this with the VANOS failure. You would have to use Porsche parts and the procedure must be done in a Porsche-approved manner.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by sjg1138
Thank you for letting us know kozzimo55.

Please report it to the NHTSA asap. It seems that they are starting to look at this!

1-888-327-4236 or you can fill out a form online at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Per your advice, I sent the spreadsheet of documented failures to NHTSA contact. Within the day I received this response from him ...
"Thank you for directing me to this particular document. Many forums mention the issue, but I have never seen it accumulated in a such well-ordered format."

Thanks to all of you who have been so proactive on this topic. I remain hopeful something will come of this!

Old 03-09-2017, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by kozzimo55
Well, I spoke with Porsche North America's customer commitment team, and I must say that I was incredibly impressed with the way they are looking into my situation. There is no guarantee that they will cover anything for me since I am complete out of warranty, but the fact that they did not slam any doors in my face yet was very nice. I will keep you guys posted on what transpires.
I am in contact as well with PNA.. they have been initially helpful for me as well...they asked for photos of the invoice (s), and picture of the defective Camshaft adjusters...in addition to this, I included the the invoices for rear differential, and transfer case replacements. I felt I had a strong yet reasonable argument. I made it quite clear that though my VIN was not included in the W22 Campaign, my controllers were in fact the same part number for those that were covered... We shall see...

Old 03-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Sybco
Per your advice, I sent the spreadsheet of documented failures to NHTSA contact. Within the day I received this response from him ...
"Thank you for directing me to this particular document. Many forums mention the issue, but I have never seen it accumulated in a such well-ordered format."

Thanks to all of you who have been so proactive on this topic. I remain hopeful something will come of this!
What spreadsheet are you referring to? Would you mind sending me a copy to:keith@accuair.com?

Old 03-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Well here is the shortened story for me:

Porsche NA spoke with my closest dealership. My car has zero history this dealership, and even though this is my fifth Porsche, I am not viewed has a "loyal" customer in their eyes. Their idea of "loyalty" is what constitutes goodwill. Both dealer and Porsche NA lead me to believe that I have a slim chance of getting anything covered.

My dilema is that I can have this done for less than half of the cost of the dealership. I don't want to get the car to the dealer, just to find out that they will not incur any of the repair.

It looks like I am on my own at this point, and I am on board for reporting my issue to any and all parties that will help push for a recall and help prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Last edited by kozzimo55; 06-05-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:53 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kozzimo55
Well here is the shortened story for me:

Porsche NA spoke with my closest dealership. My car has zero history with an authorized dealership, and even though this is my fifth Porsche, I am not view has a "loyal" customer in their eyes. Their idea of "loyalty" is what constitutes goodwill. Both dealer and Porsche NA lead me to believe that I have a slim chance of getting anything covered.

My dilema is that I can have this done for less than half of the cost of the dealership. I don't want to get the car to the dealer, just to find out that they will not incur any of the repair.

It looks like I am on my own at this point, and I am on board for reporting my issue to any and all parties that will help push for a recall and help prevent this from happening to anyone else.
Since at the VERY BEST - the most I'd expect from Porsche is about 1/2 off the work at an authorized dealer - if you can get it fixed for less than 1/2 the dealer quoted price by an independent, I'd go for the independent.

Good-will, warranty, etc. are all seen as advertising sales/cost items. They don't do these things because if's the right thing to do, they do it in the belief that you may buy a NEW Porsche from them sometime in the future. If you haven't bought any of your 5 Porsches new - from the dealership who is requesting assistance on your behalf - chances of Porsche Cars NA kicking in are about nil. Used car's don't really count with them for the same as new.. and used cars bought outside the dealer chain, and serviced by non-dealers - you might as well be dead to them.

A perfect customer in their eyes would be one who bought the most expensive car they made, drove it out of the dealership and promptly destroyed it, then came back for another. THAT is a loyal customer in their eyes..

Old 03-10-2017, 03:21 PM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
the coalant pipes have been blowing from different porsche models since 2000 and porsche still sont give a damn . Other than 2 accurators and bolts (1100$) for both , what else do you need ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?