Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:39 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
That was rather enjoyable to read, and what I was referring to about toes..

Old 06-17-2017, 02:41 PM
TJtheDJ is infamous around these parts
Man I had 400 miles left was ABOUT to schedule my replacement service ($3200.00) and then this gift falls into my lap! Wow do I have a smile on my face. Don will you be reimbursed for your preventative service?

Old 06-18-2017, 09:44 PM
sterz is infamous around these parts
Why isn't the 2012 cayenne turbo on the recall? or is there going to be a separate one?

saw the 2012 panamera turbo was included, and that's the same engine as the cayenne.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:55 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Stertz, no idea, although there were very few 2012 Cayennes with the problem. I'm sure Porsche knows what motors were made before and after the bolt design changed, and perhaps no '12 pannys got the bad bolts. Or someone just screwed up the recall announcement.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. Me.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Stertz, no idea, although there were very few 2012 Cayennes with the problem. I'm sure Porsche knows what motors were made before and after the bolt design changed, and perhaps no '12 pannys got the bad bolts. Or someone just screwed up the recall announcement.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. Me.
unfortunately my 2012 was one with the old/bad bolts.

oh well, i no longer have the car but it's one that should have been included in the recall.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:57 PM
MountainStone is infamous around these parts
Can anyone talk intelligently about the timeline for this recall? Can we expect to wait weeks to be notified, or is an action like this expected to take months?

Is it safe to assume any bolt failures that occur in the coming days before an owner has the recall performed will be fully covered by PNA?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by MountainStone
Can anyone talk intelligently about the timeline for this recall? Can we expect to wait weeks to be notified, or is an action like this expected to take months?

Is it safe to assume any bolt failures that occur in the coming days before an owner has the recall performed will be fully covered by PNA?
Depends on what you call intelligently. NHTSA certainly has a time schedule for things to happen. Porsche may have their own ideas. And they can AFAIK delay notifying owners until the "solution" and parts are in place - which may take a while. My WAG is they will simply expand WC-22, which means the adjusters are replaced. That means Hydraulic-Ring has to manufacturer about 36,000 adjusters. That's probably not a trivial order for them.

You can be assured once the recall was announced that Porsche is on the hook for any subsequent failures - but they're also on the hook for prior failures - and how they resolve those of us who did preventative service will be interesting.

I think you're asking the wrong people - Porsche and NHTSA would be the people to ask (and the FAQ's on the NHTSA website really do not answer your questions.)

Old 06-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Tom M is infamous around these partsTom M is infamous around these parts
There's something happening as the Porsche website for Recall Lookup now produces an error on my VIN but it worked fine yesterday.
We could not find campaign information about this vehicle because the number you entered contains an error or is not in our system.
However my guess as far as when the notifications will go out is being gated by the availability of parts. They certainly don't want to get things started and then tell owners that they'll need to wait 2 months to make an appointment. They'd much rather wait 2 months and build up inventory and then alert the community that a recall has been issued.

Last edited by Tom M; 06-22-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tom M
There's something happening as the Porsche website for Recall Lookup now produces an error on my VIN but it worked fine yesterday.
However my guess as far as when the notifications will go out is being gated by the availability of parts. They certainly don't want to get things started and then tell owners that they'll need to wait 2 months to make an appointment. They'd much rather wait 2 months and build up inventory and then alert the community that a recall has been issued.
Just tried - and got the same error message. We are non-Porsches apparently..

Old 06-22-2017, 01:35 PM
porscheman170 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sterz
Why isn't the 2012 cayenne turbo on the recall? or is there going to be a separate one?

saw the 2012 panamera turbo was included, and that's the same engine as the cayenne.
Could it be that there wasn't enough 2012 Cayenne's being reported so NHTSA didn't include them in the letter to Porsche? Porsche has yet to answer back so maybe they will include all affected model years with the bad bolts. Just guessing on my part..

Old 06-22-2017, 02:42 PM
sjg1138 is infamous around these partssjg1138 is infamous around these parts
Of the 25 Cayennes (20) and Panameras (5) with the failure that I tracked in the database, there was only one that was reported as a "2012" and particular car's build date was June 2011 and it was a Cayenne Turbo.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:03 PM
And given that build date I'm surprised it was called a 2012.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:45 PM
nedino is infamous around these parts
Confirmed upcoming recall campaign with 2 dealers (news is as of today - 6/22). The timing of the campaign (dubbed AH08) is still not certain and availability of parts is limited. I am not sure if this will be applied retroactively (e.g., to reimburse those who have addressed the issue preventatively, at their own expense) but still good news for the 958 Panamera-Cayenne S/Turbo community.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by nedino
Confirmed upcoming recall campaign with 2 dealers (news is as of today - 6/22). The timing of the campaign (dubbed AH08) is still not certain and availability of parts is limited. I am not sure if this will be applied retroactively (e.g., to reimburse those who have addressed the issue preventatively, at their own expense) but still good news for the 958 Panamera-Cayenne S/Turbo community.
I don't think it's Porsche's decision if it applies retroactively - that's NHTSA's policy AFAIK. And certainly taking Porsche to small claims court it could be easily proven that it was done by an owner for safety reasons (since the recall outlines the dangers) - and hence Porsche is responsible. I rather suspect Porsche isn't going to fight this - they don't need the bad publicity.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by porscheman170
Could it be that there wasn't enough 2012 Cayenne's being reported so NHTSA didn't include them in the letter to Porsche? Porsche has yet to answer back so maybe they will include all affected model years with the bad bolts. Just guessing on my part..
i don't exactly remember but i think my build date was September 2011 and the car was the 2012 model.

i had checked the bolts and they are the ones in the recall.

since the panamera turbo and the cayenne turbo share the same engine, i would have hoped they included the 2012 cayenne since the 2012 panamera is being listed in the recall. i'm hoping you're right and Porsche does the right and issues a recall on all of the cars with the bad bolts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?