Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Njja is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Finally heard from Porsche

Porsche North America finally called us one Day last week and offered us a loaner vehicle until our Car was
repaired under the Recall. Once again they had no timeframe for the repair to be done but I thanked them for
the gesture and thought this was certainly a reasonable offer.
Had this offer been made earlier my wife would most likely been driving a 2018 Cayenne now since she really liked her car and it performed very well prior to the Recall.
I worked hard to attain my current position in life and I really appreciate good customer service, and enjoy doing business with companies that make you feel they value your business. Many years ago I bought my wife a piano and that company went out of their way to make the experience notable I never forgot that.
It doesn’t happen often anymore, but I would say to anyone considering buying a new Porsche do yourself a favor and visit your local Ferrari dealer. Look around at the cars, see if they will take you into the shop, talk to a
service advisor you will be pleasantly surprised. I spent quite a few days there and went on a Maserati outing at Road Atlanta before I purchased my first car there, and they were terrific.
My wife’s Maserati is my third purchase from Ferrari Maserati of Atlanta and every time I stop in they really make me feel like a valued customer.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 AM
kozzimo55 is infamous around these parts
Don't forget, I have piles of Titanium replacement bolts if anyone is interested =)

They are engineered to be FAR superior than the original bolts.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Folks - I suspect at least part of the delay in implementing the recall is parts availability. In the China and Japan recalls - the bolts weren't replaced. The entire Variocam adjuster was replaced. At 2X per engine, and 17,000 vehicles affected - that's 34,000 of these that the manufacturer of them has to make (and they were made by an outside vendor.)

I see no reason that the recall in the US would be any different than the ones in other countries. Removing and replacing the bolts would be iffy at best, since the bolt heads are soft aluminum with a very shallow Torx recess.

As to reimbursing the owners who have already had or addressed the problem - money in Porsche's hands is worth more to them than money in our hands, so taking their time setting up that process is financially rewarding to them. My_tom_a - can you provide details on how to file the FTC complaint - and those of us awaiting reimbursement can add our complaints to yours? Perhaps if the FTC sees a pattern they might take some action.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:37 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by my_tom_a
The FTC complaint process isn't as thorough as I would expect it to be but if you go to the link below, select "Other" and then the "Automobile", it will take you to pretty simple form to fill in the details about your complaint.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov
Just looked - and it doesn't appear to be friendly toward the type of complaint we need to make - non-performance on a recall..

Old 12-03-2017, 10:41 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kozzimo55
Don't forget, I have piles of Titanium replacement bolts if anyone is interested =)

They are engineered to be FAR superior than the original bolts.
That would be great but if there was ever an engine failure on a vehicle with the recall still active and your hardware was in there - there is HIGH probability Porsche would not cover any repair costs.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:12 AM
my_tom_a is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Njja
Porsche North America finally called us one Day last week and offered us a loaner vehicle until our Car was
repaired under the Recall. Once again they had no timeframe for the repair to be done but I thanked them for
the gesture and thought this was certainly a reasonable offer.
Had this offer been made earlier my wife would most likely been driving a 2018 Cayenne now since she really liked her car and it performed very well prior to the Recall.
I worked hard to attain my current position in life and I really appreciate good customer service, and enjoy doing business with companies that make you feel they value your business. Many years ago I bought my wife a piano and that company went out of their way to make the experience notable I never forgot that.
It doesn’t happen often anymore, but I would say to anyone considering buying a new Porsche do yourself a favor and visit your local Ferrari dealer. Look around at the cars, see if they will take you into the shop, talk to a
service advisor you will be pleasantly surprised. I spent quite a few days there and went on a Maserati outing at Road Atlanta before I purchased my first car there, and they were terrific.
My wife’s Maserati is my third purchase from Ferrari Maserati of Atlanta and every time I stop in they really make me feel like a valued customer.
I recently contacted PCNA again (4th time) about my repair on the Panamera and when I might be receiving some sort of notification about how I can submit my paperwork for refund on replacing my engine. I received another lame response saying that PCNA will be sending out instructions to us by end of the year. 7 months from the initial recall and it is very frustrating that both the folks that are driving these cars with a serious issue are not being addressed and those of us who had the failure are being jerked around.

I second the sentiment that Porsche customer service is not up to par with what we should expect considering the amount of money we pay for these vehicles. I’ve owned three Porsches and my experiences with the dealership make me question why am I spending my hard earned money for such a poor customer service experience. I go back to when I bought my wife a Subaru Forester and the customer experience we had every time we took it in for maintenance. Extremely friendly, prompt, forthcoming with any items they uncovered and never once did we leave the dealership not satisfied with the quality of work they did and how they treated us. Can’t say I’ve shared that same experience at any of the Porsche dealerships I’ve gone to.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 AM
TJtheDJ is infamous around these parts
Hey everyone,

I just received an email from my local Porsche dealership letting me know repair parts are suppose to start arriving next week. I am in Pittsburgh, PA. I am going to get a phone call the minute they come in to schedule a repair. I just wanted to pass along the long awaited update for this recall.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Hey guys,

I received a call today to schedule my appointment for the recall repair. It finally begins!

Old 01-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Hey everyone,

Be on the lookout in your mailboxes for the PORSCHE AH08 RECALL CAMSHAFT CONTROLLER CLAIM FORM if you previously spent your own money to fix the camshaft controller issue or damage caused by it. Mine arrived in the mail today.

My recall work is scheduled for next Wednesday and Porsche is providing a loaner while the work is being done.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:44 AM
jayi836 is infamous around these partsjayi836 is infamous around these parts
TJ,

I received my "PORSCHE AH08 RECALL" notice last week, however Porsche replaced the engine however did't pay for the labor ($5,200.00)

This recall must be generated bu scraping VIN's.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:41 PM
My local Porsche dealership called me today and asked me NOT to bring my Cayenne in tomorrow for the scheduled recall service. 2 other vehicles are currently there being serviced for the AH08 recall. I was told that if the car needs a new camshaft they have to order them directly from Germany which could take weeks. I was told they are going VIN to VIN on a case per case basis. I was told I would get a call on Friday for an update. I am at this point completely confused as to what is actually going on with this recall. I was told the dealership doesn’t know what is inside Pandora’s Box until they rack it. Anybody make heads or tales out of this? I for one am scratching me head over here.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by jayi836
TJ,

I received my "PORSCHE AH08 RECALL" notice last week, however Porsche replaced the engine however did't pay for the labor ($5,200.00)

This recall must be generated bu scraping VIN's.
I am sure you will get your money back according to that recall you have to submit some paperwork. $5,200.00 wow.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:44 AM
The list price for the engine is $26K with a $16K core charge WTF!.
They reused the turbo's and other accessories.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:17 PM
sjg1138 is infamous around these partssjg1138 is infamous around these parts
My dealer (Sonnen / Marin Porsche) has the AH08 parts in and and I'm scheduled to drop The Piglet off 3 weeks from now. Its going to take 2 days so they will be supplying a loaner.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Dropped off my Cayenne today for the recall work and to get an oil change and I brought my own oil and man it's still pretty expensive (around $300 bucks!). Loaner was a base 2018 Cayenne. I am not too impressed with the V6 in this vehicle that is for sure.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:20 PM
Not sure what there charging you $300.00 for? labor. Still need to take mine in for the official inspection.
Just changed my oil for ~$60.00

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?