Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:41 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by _R_Castro
im going to change the chains and both adjuster.

its the same as audi q7 v8 timing lock system so that i solved..
OK then. Please take lots of photos to share with us..

Old 08-29-2018, 09:54 AM
_R_Castro is infamous around these parts
I'm waiting for some answer if I should order the stuff or not.

I'm done this job on audis. That are very comen on s4 rs4 and rs6.

I can't find the engine skiss on this one.

m48.02 engine. If it have 3 chains like the v8 from Audi it should be pretty easy.

Porsche Sweden haven't heard of this until today and ask them how they stand to this failure. I hope to get more answer from them soon if they wanna cover it or not. My guess is no

Old 08-29-2018, 10:50 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
It's one LONG double row chain - that requires removal of the timing chain cover to replace - and that requires removal of the engine - or everything ahead of the engine - to remove.

https://www.vertexauto.com/images/Pr...large/7288.jpg

You might also check the compatibility of the Audi timing tools - I really doubt if they are the same. http://www.hinodetools.com/jtcdata/d...NSTRUCTION.pdf

Old 09-23-2018, 11:55 PM
BIGDON917 is infamous around these parts
2011 Porsche Panamera 4s

Hello
on the camshaft recall, did anyone get any progress on Porsche paying for engine replacement or repair. Tom, I hope you have some great info for me, because my engine just **** the bed too, no compression either....noisy and vibration.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:24 AM
edmtwentyone is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BIGDON917
Hello
on the camshaft recall, did anyone get any progress on Porsche paying for engine replacement or repair. Tom, I hope you have some great info for me, because my engine just **** the bed too, no compression either....noisy and vibration.
Yes. I got full reimbursement about a month and a half ago. I had engine replaced (which was like $28k and my out of pocket was $7k; Porsche goodwill picked up the other $21k).
They also were not 100% certain what part was used in 2016 when the engine went so they did the recall too at zero cost.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:34 AM
BIGDON917 is infamous around these parts
Wow

There telling me my vin# is not coming under the recall but having the same symptoms, on my 2011 Porsche Panamera 4s. What do I do from here.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:44 AM
too_good is infamous around these parts
Hi all - logging in for the first time in a few months (2010 CTT UK owner who undertook preventative repair of camshaft controller assemblies for peace of mind).

Over on the Porsche Club GB forum, the owner of a 2010 DIESEL Cayenne (80k miles) is reporting in no uncertain terms that this camshaft adjuster bolt failure has wrecked his car. Has anyone heard of this issue affecting diesels please? I thought it was purely early 958 model 4.8L V8 petrol engines. FYI, given the cost he has been given for a replacement engine (new or recon), it is literally not worth it and his current plan is to scrap the car. Horrendous.

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1005787

PS: I reported the design defect and safety risk to the UK's vehicle standards agency (DVSA) around one year ago seeking reimbursement for the repair I had done, but my case was basically dismissed on the grounds that Porsche GB responded to say that there was no GB recall for the defect and that there was no safety risk as warning lights would always be displayed, with the car still driveable (!). They infer that UK cars are unaffected, despite these cars being made in the same factory (?), with identical looking bolts and, crucially, UK indys seeing crippled Cayennes/Panameras come in. Incidentally, the DVSA only considers cars which have a 'serious safety defect' (which they classify as a with a defect which could result in a 'sudden failure without warning'). Appalling I know. So I now monitor the Porsche Club GB forum for anyone experiencing this issue, share my experience and urge them to report the case to the DVSA to create noise on the topic. The UK owner base is a lot smaller than the US unsurprisingly, with perhaps fewer miles covered on average too such that this issue is only now surfacing a bit.

Last edited by too_good; 10-11-2018 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Wrong link inserted
Old 03-19-2020, 04:09 PM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BIGDON917
Hello
It took me 6months for porsche to put a new engine in my cayenne. I don’t recommend Glenn Cooke from Edmonton porsche to anyone. The worst person to deal with.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:24 PM
Wamer27 is infamous around these parts
2011 CTT- 2 bolts broke off and 2 were sitting loose, was within inches of basically destroying my engine. Tech friend said Porsche says replace whole part and I did both sides, the parts alone $2,200 even at Peoria prices. I had them replace the spark plugs while they were exposed and an oil change in $100ish, total for this ****show was $4,700. Some reason mine didn't show up in the recall, yet the recalled part was what failed, F U Porsche.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Wamer27
2011 CTT- 2 bolts broke off and 2 were sitting loose, was within inches of basically destroying my engine. Tech friend said Porsche says replace whole part and I did both sides, the parts alone $2,200 even at Peoria prices. I had them replace the spark plugs while they were exposed and an oil change in $100ish, total for this ****show was $4,700. Some reason mine didn't show up in the recall, yet the recalled part was what failed, F U Porsche.
I would approach Porsche Cars NA - directly - and skip the dealer. Since the car wasn't showing up in the recall that might indicate that Porsche's VIN range for the recall is incorrect. It would seem they'd like to correct that before you contact NHTSA about it. I'm guessing the work wasn't done at a Porsche dealer? If it had been, chances are the dealer could have submitted a claim for you.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
I would approach Porsche Cars NA - directly - and skip the dealer. Since the car wasn't showing up in the recall that might indicate that Porsche's VIN range for the recall is incorrect. It would seem they'd like to correct that before you contact NHTSA about it. I'm guessing the work wasn't done at a Porsche dealer? If it had been, chances are the dealer could have submitted a claim for you.
The dealer did the work and my good friend is also the service advisor. He said if he submitted a warranty or goodwill claim, my tune (I bought car used from this dealer years ago with a tune already on it and no clue who tuned it) would negate everything and mileage, I'm at 123k now. Do you think it's worth asking Porsche NA about it on my own?

Old 04-10-2020, 10:08 AM
The dealer did the work and my good friend is also the service advisor. He said if he submitted a warranty or goodwill claim, my tune (I bought car used from this dealer years ago with a tune already on it and no clue who tuned it) would negate everything and mileage, I'm at 123k now. Do you think it's worth asking Porsche NA about it on my own?
What tune? You don't know of any tune.. neither should PCNA.

What's the worst that could happen if you asked PCNA for assistance - they'd say NO? You'd be in exactly the same spot as if you didn't ask. There was no mileage limitation on the recall - there never is on a recall (there sometimes is on a service campaign) - I'd write to them, quoting the NHTSA number for the recall, and nicely ask for some assistance. You could refer them to your friend the service-adviser who will tell them what a loyal Porsche customer you are, and how you've been considering a new Cayenne - but now that you've spent the $4,000 on this repair you may decide to keep the car to get some value from the repair.

I would sit and make that VERY clear to your friend. And make it very clear to him that he doesn't know about any tune. The tune - seems nebulous to me - possibly just sales talk when you were thinking of buying the car. It might all be BS..

Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by deilenberger; 04-10-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
What tune? You don't know of any tune.. neither should PCNA.

What's the worst that could happen if you asked PCNA for assistance - they'd say NO? You'd be in exactly the same spot as if you didn't ask. There was no mileage limitation on the recall - there never is on a recall (there sometimes is on a service campaign) - I'd write to them, quoting the NHTSA number for the recall, and nicely ask for some assistance. You could refer them to your friend the service-adviser who will tell them what a loyal Porsche customer you are, and how you've been considering a new Cayenne - but now that you've spent the $4,000 on this repair you may decide to keep the car to get some value from the repair.

I would sit and make that VERY clear to your friend. And make it very clear to him that he doesn't know about any tune. The tune - seems nebulous to me - possibly just sales talk when you were thinking of buying the car. It might all be BS..

Let us know how it works out.
Starting the process of it now as I just got my vehicle back today. Thank you for the advise! Do you have any clue on how to figure out who tuned it? I want to revert back to stock and go with a new tune.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:57 PM
I emailed Porsche and got a response saying my vehicle had campaign WC22 performed on it with camshaft controller replaced. I emailed back asking if the replacement was done April 13, 2020 (that's what I just paid for to be done). If not, then prior dealership failed at something...

Old 04-23-2020, 12:05 PM
Tom_T is infamous around these parts
I emailed Porsche and got a response saying my vehicle had campaign WC22 performed on it with camshaft controller replaced. I emailed back asking if the replacement was done April 13, 2020 (that's what I just paid for to be done). If not, then prior dealership failed at something...
I wonder if the dealer's tech could've entered the wrong code for the work into the PCNA/PAG system?

You may want to forward a copy of your invoice to PCNA for the work where it describes the cam adjuster bolt work. A few pix of the invoice by email may clear it up.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?