Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 11:57 AM
Wamer27 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tom_T
I wonder if the dealer's tech could've entered the wrong code for the work into the PCNA/PAG system?

You may want to forward a copy of your invoice to PCNA for the work where it describes the cam adjuster bolt work. A few pix of the invoice by email may clear it up.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Went to dealer today and talked with my mechanic friend there and he looked up my vehicle. In 2013 both the camshaft adjusters were replaced, but it was before the recall and or new bolts being used. So I still had old style bolts and they failed. I don't know what to do now, or if there's anything I can do? I don't know the exact dates, but he was telling me in late 2016 was when every 3rd vehicle coming in was on the bolt recall. Me being left off the recall is Porsche's fault.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:17 PM
Tom_T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Wamer27
Went to dealer today and talked with my mechanic friend there and he looked up my vehicle. In 2013 both the camshaft adjusters were replaced, but it was before the recall and or new bolts being used. So I still had old style bolts and they failed. I don't know what to do now, or if there's anything I can do? I don't know the exact dates, but he was telling me in late 2016 was when every 3rd vehicle coming in was on the bolt recall. Me being left off the recall is Porsche's fault.
Get your friend to send you a digital copy of your Cayenne's repair record including the prior bolt service, take pix of your current replacement wrong bolt type, then try calling both PCNA's Customer Care for the bolt recall issue, & the P-dealer who did a replacement with the wrong defective bolts - or who claimed to have replaced them but did nothing - & politely but definitively ask them to replace the defective bolts now at the PCNA's expense for the AH08 Recall, & offer to show them the records & pix of the incorrect bolts. As you said - it's not your fault that the dealer either used the wrong defective bolts - or perhaps faked the recall work & just gave it back to you or the PO.

If they still do nothing, then send a demand letter to both your dealer or the one who replaced with the wrong bolts & PCNA, with a copy to NHTSA referencing the Ah)8 Recall, & that it was incorrectly done, & now Porsche is refusing to correct it.

Let Porsche fight it out with the dealer who screwed up or faked the repair, but Porsche/PCNA is still obligated to replace any car with the defective bolts, with proper ones, with no time limit to such NHTSA Recalls.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////

Old 04-27-2020, 02:48 PM
Wamer27 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tom_T
Get your friend to send you a digital copy of your Cayenne's repair record including the prior bolt service, take pix of your current replacement wrong bolt type, then try calling both PCNA's Customer Care for the bolt recall issue, & the P-dealer who did a replacement with the wrong defective bolts - or who claimed to have replaced them but did nothing - & politely but definitively ask them to replace the defective bolts now at the PCNA's expense for the AH08 Recall, & offer to show them the records & pix of the incorrect bolts. As you said - it's not your fault that the dealer either used the wrong defective bolts - or perhaps faked the recall work & just gave it back to you or the PO.

If they still do nothing, then send a demand letter to both your dealer or the one who replaced with the wrong bolts & PCNA, with a copy to NHTSA referencing the Ah)8 Recall, & that it was incorrectly done, & now Porsche is refusing to correct it.

Let Porsche fight it out with the dealer who screwed up or faked the repair, but Porsche/PCNA is still obligated to replace any car with the defective bolts, with proper ones, with no time limit to such NHTSA Recalls.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Here's the timeline of my vehicle:

2011 year model Cayenne

-2013 Camshaft adjusters were replaced under warranty (33k miles) new bolt design was not implemented yet, so old bolt design was used

-2016 I purchase vehicle from Porsche dealer without CPO

-2016 New bolt recall (vehicle didn't qualify for this recall according to my dealer via Porsche)

-April 2020 2 bolts sheer off and 2 are very loose within same controller.
I pay dealer for two new adjusters, bolts, gaskets, O rings, labor for the work. My total cost $4,000.

-Corporate tells me a WC22 was performed in 2013, which we learn about today

-Friend searches on his Porsche computer and finds this service in 2013.

-I do not know who performed the 2013 warranty work.

I need to find out why the vehicle was skipped on 2016 bolt recall.

Last edited by Wamer27; 04-27-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:18 PM
Tom_T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Wamer27
Here's the timeline of my vehicle:

2011 year model Cayenne

-2013 Camshaft adjusters were replaced under warranty (33k miles) new bolt design was not implemented yet, so old bolt design was used

-2016 I purchase vehicle from Porsche dealer without CPO

-2016 New bolt recall (vehicle didn't qualify for this recall according to my dealer via Porsche)

-April 2020 2 bolts sheer off and 2 are very loose within same controller.
I pay dealer for two new adjusters, bolts, gaskets, O rings, labor for the work. My total cost $4,000.

-Corporate tells me a WC22 was performed in 2013, which we learn about today

>>>> PS - As you said above, this WC22 predated the new bolts, so unless the bolts are the later type & the adjusters are the later ...022 part no., then it does NOT count toward it having the AH08 being done, it is just another warranty repair not including the non-defective bolts. The WC22 is discussed earlier in this thread, & IIRC there is a link to the actual Porsche WC22 document there around pg. 6. I think you need to call BS with "corporate" PCNA/Porsche on this, & report this fraud to NHTSA as a refusal to cover the AH08 Recall on some bogus earlier warranty repair which did NOT include non-defective bolts.

-Friend searches on his Porsche computer and finds this service in 2013.

-I do not know who performed the 2013 warranty work.

I need to find out why the vehicle was skipped on 2016 bolt recall.
See my PS in red above ----^

2011 is within the AH08 Recall range, so it should be in the group.

Look up your VIN here yourself -
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V368#recalls360

You can also file a complaint there too, if you scroll down on that start page.

I'll bet that you find it on there!

Porsche should still be on the hook for all engine damage & the recall work, but you may have to get nasty, take it up as a Recall complaint at the NHTSA website complaint submittal, &/or hire a lawyer.

Again - pix of the failed bolts &/or a statement from the dealer who did it in April would help nail down the facts.

You can also try calling the PCNA Customer Care office, & ask to speak with the Dept. Manager to get answers as to why they're denying your case after a failure like this, & if he/she can get it reconsidered - if not, go up the corporate chain.

It sucks what you describe, & certainly does NOT endear Porsche with it's customers to jack around owners like this - especially with their sales dead now with the COVID-19 issues.

Maybe some others who have had to fight Porsche/PCNA on this can weigh in on what they did to get action.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////

Last edited by Tom_T; 04-28-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-30-2023, 02:26 PM
2012Cayennes is infamous around these parts
Can you check my VIN for me? The Porsche North America recall site doesn't show anything, however I have a 2012 s. In Canada if that matters.

WP1AB2A27CLA40975