Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) - Level Drops In Cool Tempratures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2013 | 06:57 AM
|
Moss1st is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) - Level Drops In Cool Tempratures

Hello Everyone,

I drive a 2011 Cayenne Turbo and it has close to 50k miles on it now. Temperatures drop at night by about 15-20 degrees celsius where I live. Before I start it up in the morning, I notice that the front suspensions are lower than normal (they go back to normal level once I open the driver door or start the engine). My question is, is this normal or are the front suspensions due for replacement?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 12-15-2013 | 11:07 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
I believe the issue is with your air suspension rather than PASM if I understand it correctly (adjusts the suspension based on driving input, and it's not moving in this case).

With that much of a temp swing, it could be the air compressing as it cools in the air bags. I would expect the rear to drop as well, but the fronts do carry more weight when standing still. Do both sides drop equally or does one lower more than the other?

I don't have the air suspension so I can't comment if this is normal or not. If you still have warranty coverage, I'd have it looked at to be safe/sure. If not then if it were mine I would be more concerned if it did that with more stable temps as that would suggest a leak. I know the 955/957 need parts of the air system refurbished, but what little I've read seems to indicate you should get more than 3/50.

Old 12-15-2013 | 11:47 AM
|
Originally Posted by gnat
I believe the issue is with your air suspension rather than PASM if I understand it correctly (adjusts the suspension based on driving input, and it's not moving in this case).

With that much of a temp swing, it could be the air compressing as it cools in the air bags. I would expect the rear to drop as well, but the fronts do carry more weight when standing still. Do both sides drop equally or does one lower more than the other?

I don't have the air suspension so I can't comment if this is normal or not. If you still have warranty coverage, I'd have it looked at to be safe/sure. If not then if it were mine I would be more concerned if it did that with more stable temps as that would suggest a leak. I know the 955/957 need parts of the air system refurbished, but what little I've read seems to indicate you should get more than 3/50.
Thanks for the input, gnat. You're right, I meant the front air suspensions on both sides getting lower to the same level--the rear ones are fine. I'd like to know if someone has had a similar issue and knows that it's normal, just to be on the safe side. I feel like 50k miles is too short to have the air suspensions replaced, especially that 80% of it is highway miles--it still has the first brake pads that came on it.

Old 12-16-2013 | 11:38 AM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
this happens on my S6 every night (10k miles). the front will drop about 10-15mm when sitting along time and after start it will come back up. I don't think you need to fix or replace anything. when somethings broken or needs replacing, you car will be slammed to the ground (tucking tire) on which ever shock/s that needs replacing. Ive never seen a car that needed any parts or work on its air ride suspension before 80-90k miles, usually lasts 100k+ or so and then the shock or compressor will go.

Old 12-19-2013 | 10:26 AM
|
Originally Posted by MikeL
this happens on my S6 every night (10k miles). the front will drop about 10-15mm when sitting along time and after start it will come back up. I don't think you need to fix or replace anything. when somethings broken or needs replacing, you car will be slammed to the ground (tucking tire) on which ever shock/s that needs replacing. Ive never seen a car that needed any parts or work on its air ride suspension before 80-90k miles, usually lasts 100k+ or so and then the shock or compressor will go.
Good to know, MikeL. My wallet is relieved. 🙏