Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

roof size

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 01:49 AM
mep1811 is infamous around these parts
roof size

I am sitting in Herat AFG planning on trips to do when I get home. I am planning to put a RRT (roof top tent) on my 2013 Cayenne.

I will be using Thule load bars and maybe a platform roof rack depending on the size of the tent and roof.

Could someone help me out by measuring their roof ? That would be helpful in figured out what RTT will fit the best.

Thanks

Old 07-19-2014, 07:36 AM
synk is infamous around these parts
Isn't the max load only 100 kg?

Old 07-19-2014, 08:19 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
I don't know about metric, but Thule told me their system had a 100lb limit when I was trying to decide between that route and ordering the factory rails (220lbs).

Given that, by the time you put a basket/platform up there you're down to only about 40lbs left. So I hope the idea of a RTT isn't to sleep in it up there...

Old 07-19-2014, 08:22 AM
synk is infamous around these parts
220 lbs = 100 kg

Old 07-19-2014, 11:04 AM
roof size

The Thule bars are very under rated as to their capacity. Most RTT's are designed to fit on cross bars . In speaking with one RTT company I was assured that a pair of load bars would handle a RTT. http://www.cascadiatents.com/index.p...2&s=639&id=608

The purpose of a Roof Top Tent is to sleep in it.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:43 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Do you have the factory rails and are looking to use Thule cross bars rather than OEM or do you have no rails and will need to use the clamp on mounts?

If you have the rails then you can definitely support more weight, but I wouldn't trust a full grown man's weight + equipment up there. The rails are attached by sandwiching the roof skin between the rail feet and an aluminum plate. It's not weak, but it's not like it's bolted into the frame.

If you are talking about a gutter mount, that has a much smaller foot print than the OEM rails have which directly translates into reduced capacity. For what you're talking about my money would be on dents showing up where the feet attach.

It's nice that the RTT company believes these systems can support their product, but I'm going to guess that they aren't going to step up and fix your roof when it gets damaged.

I would agree that they are under rated simply from a liability standpoint, but I'd guess 50lbs at best.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:33 AM
I do not have factory rails. They were not in the budget. I will continue to do research . Maybe I can fit an additional cross bar or two.

I am sure factory rails cannot be retro fitted.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by mep1811
I am sure factory rails cannot be retro fitted.
According to Porsche, no they can not. While mine was in pieces, however, I took a look and it seems possible to me. The big challenge would be getting things lined up correctly.

Somewhere around here there is a thread I started about trying to answer this once and for all. What it needs is someone without rails to get pics of the same areas to see if there is anything different.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:39 AM
I think there are cross bars that are rated for 165 lbs. I have to wait until Monday to verify. That would be fine. the tent weighs 95lbs and when deployed half the weight of the tent and occupants will be on the ground.
I found this from another RTT dealer with a much heaver tent.
Can my roof rack carry the weight of a fully loaded tent?
Depends. Generally your roof rack reflects a 'driving' weight limit. Your roof rack system should be rated for at least 120 lbs to support this tent when driving. When parked, your roof rack is capable of much higher 'static' loads, that generally will support the weight of a fully loaded roof tent.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:36 AM
OK getting back to the original intent of my post; can anyone post up the roof dimensions?

Thanks