Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 CTT Engine Knocking vs. Unresponsive Dealer (Barrier Porsche)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 12:08 AM
seahawks is infamous around these parts
Unhappy 2011 CTT Engine Knocking vs. Unresponsive Dealer (Barrier Porsche)

My 2011 CTT has 24000 miles on it and still under manufacturer warranty. It's been well maintained since day one. All ran great except for burning oil a little bit (1qt/1500mile) which I can bear with. However, since December 2014, the engine started a little but clear knocking noise from its top, especially in cold mornings. The frequency is about twice per second. It will disappear after about 10min when the engine gets warm.

If I didn't see the post here (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...start-ups.html), I probably wouldn't pay attention to the noise... Compared to the sound clip the other guy uploaded, it's very similar to mine.

Finally, I decided to send it to my local dealer (Barrier Porsche in Bellevue WA) to check it up. After 7 days, today the SA called me saying everything appears normal as they didn't find any fault codes in ECU. I then asked where does the knocking noise come from. He simply said it could be from many parts (just enumerated many names). I asked why the noise didn't happen until December. He insisted on nothing he can repair as no fault codes found in ECU. I asked him to run a bore scope test to see if piston/cylinder wall are scored. He simply said that's too much work and refused to do it.

I only have 2 months manufacturer warranty left on my pepper. I don't what the knocking issue gets worse and worse and eventually CEL lights up outside of warranty and costs me $20k to replace the whole engine.

What shall I do now? Shall I call PCNA to file a claim or contact the senior management at the local dealer?

Thank you for your suggestion!

Old 01-15-2015, 01:05 AM
Average Joe is infamous around these parts
Is there another dealer in your area you can speak with? I would try that first and if no luck then speak with PCNA.

I had a couple items covered on our BMW after the warranty expired because they were related to problems I had reported while under coverage. I don't know how Porsche would handle that type of stuff though...

Old 01-15-2015, 05:30 AM
seabrook is infamous around these partsseabrook is infamous around these parts
call PCNA and make a claim right now. Keep the claim# for your records (if the motor goes out after warranty you have proof). Report that the dealer refused service. This dealer is playing you.

Also if the motor needs to be replaced make them extend your factory warranty for the motor only.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Dbezerra is infamous around these parts
I also had bad experience with Barrier. Suggestion - bring your car to Cantrell Motorsport. They are in Bel-Red road, just behind Safeway. Ask them to at least have a quick look and let you know what they think. Those guys are excellent.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:02 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
Trade it in if possible. Def don"t need that headache God forbid.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:09 PM
BG305 is infamous around these parts
If you really want to take a look inside go on eBay and buy a bore scope that you can connect to your laptop. Take a look and if you see anything crazy take it back with the photos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-4-LED-Wat...item3f3ebd7dd8

Old 02-01-2015, 06:45 PM
maverick1715 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by seahawks
My 2011 CTT has 24000 miles on it and still under manufacturer warranty. It's been well maintained since day one. All ran great except for burning oil a little bit (1qt/1500mile) which I can bear with. However, since December 2014, the engine started a little but clear knocking noise from its top, especially in cold mornings. The frequency is about twice per second. It will disappear after about 10min when the engine gets warm.

If I didn't see the post here (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...start-ups.html), I probably wouldn't pay attention to the noise... Compared to the sound clip the other guy uploaded, it's very similar to mine.

Finally, I decided to send it to my local dealer (Barrier Porsche in Bellevue WA) to check it up. After 7 days, today the SA called me saying everything appears normal as they didn't find any fault codes in ECU. I then asked where does the knocking noise come from. He simply said it could be from many parts (just enumerated many names). I asked why the noise didn't happen until December. He insisted on nothing he can repair as no fault codes found in ECU. I asked him to run a bore scope test to see if piston/cylinder wall are scored. He simply said that's too much work and refused to do it.

I only have 2 months manufacturer warranty left on my pepper. I don't what the knocking issue gets worse and worse and eventually CEL lights up outside of warranty and costs me $20k to replace the whole engine.

What shall I do now? Shall I call PCNA to file a claim or contact the senior management at the local dealer?

I'm the guy who posted the video on youtube with the knocking sound. I left you a private message to call me. You have scored cylinders, Porsche replaced the whole motor on my Turbo.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:54 PM
This is what my turbo sounds like @ idle.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by BG305
This is what my turbo sounds like @ idle.

turbo cayenne idle - YouTube
That sounds normal to me, the ticking I can hear on your video may be the fuel injections, but sounds nothing like the sound my CT was making and got its engine replaced.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Yeah I put it up just incase the OP had never heard a Turbo cayenne before. They do tend to be a little loud

Old 02-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by BG305
Yeah I put it up just incase the OP had never heard a Turbo cayenne before. They do tend to be a little loud
I hear you Your engine sounds very sexy to me. You should hear how mine sounded before it got replaced... With only 26k miles on!

Old 02-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Nice, mine has 60k on it and my favorite sound comes from the rear

Last edited by BG305; 02-02-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:28 PM
nhirsch is infamous around these partsnhirsch is infamous around these parts
****. I had a knocking noise after noticing oil burning. Dealer replaced the engine! 2012 Turbo. I posted thread on this awhile ago. I'd definitely have that documented in case it's an engine.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:23 PM
seahawks is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by seahawks

I think I need to post a update to close the story.

In short, PCNA and the local dealer replaced the whole engine on my 2011 CTT (24000 miles) under manufacturer warranty.

Long version: the dealer did a borescope test and found unusual damage on #1 and #6 cylinder wall that cause the knocking noise on cold start. After reviewing the photo facts, PCNA agreed to replace the whole engine under manufacturer warranty. But I was disappointed as it wouldn't be a brand-new but re-manufactured.

A week after, dealer called in saying PCNA doesn't have re-manufactured 4.8T engine available in US. PCNA has to directly order it from their engine plant in Zuffenhausen Germany that will take about 3 week to arrive in Seattle mainly due to US Customs delay. To compensate such a long time waiting, it will be a brand-new.

3 weeks after, I drove it back home with a new heart installed. Nothing different except for a little bit quieter. The only pain is to break in the baby AGAIN...

Old 02-26-2015, 05:53 PM
nhirsch is infamous around these partsnhirsch is infamous around these parts
great you have a new engine. i'm surprised you don't sound ecstatically happy. When I picked up my brand new car at the factory, the Porsche rep said to drive it like it was already broken in, not to worry too much about a break in period. I was pretty careful regardless but now that I think of it, I did have to have that engine replaced so maybe treat it easy to start.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 CTT Engine Knocking vs. Unresponsive Dealer (Barrier Porsche)