Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2016's Best Headlights: LED or Bi-Xenon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 01:02 PM
rbaron is infamous around these parts
2016's Best Headlights: LED or Bi-Xenon?

Can anyone tell me if LED headlights are noticeably better than bi-xenons (or vice-versa)?

Old 03-27-2016, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor
AZN Optics is infamous around these parts
Wouldn't say one was better than other... There are tradeoffs. LEDs have a nice instant on discrete function whereas HIDs need to power up to reach full brightness, which is why you need shutter feature of bi housing. LEDs will be expensive to replace and being fully electrical, more susceptible to electrical damage. HIDs are easy and cheaper to swap bulbs when end of life or damaged. Lumen will be a wash and focal range as well in housing specifically designed to capture that type of lighting spread.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:37 PM
rbaron is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Wouldn't say one was better than other... There are tradeoffs. LEDs have a nice instant on discrete function whereas HIDs need to power up to reach full brightness, which is why you need shutter feature of bi housing. LEDs will be expensive to replace and being fully electrical, more susceptible to electrical damage. HIDs are easy and cheaper to swap bulbs when end of life or damaged. Lumen will be a wash and focal range as well in housing specifically designed to capture that type of lighting spread.
Thanks very much for this informative response.

Am I correct, then, in understanding that - apart from any aesthetic and economic considerations - the road lighting effects in a Cayenne (particularly for an old guy like me) will be about the same?

Old 03-28-2016, 12:21 PM
jtorrebl is infamous around these parts
Every car manufacturer is much moving towards LEDs and leaving HID behind. I wonder why

Old 03-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Former Vendor
AZN Optics is infamous around these parts
LEDs are cheaper to manufacture and manufacturers can charge you more to replace when they break as you can't find an aftermarket replacement.

LEDs do have better energy efficiency, but that's not really that big a deal as you're not being billed per kilowatt usage... LEDs don't suffer from lumen depreciation with extended use so you get full brightness till end of life, but it's the end of life that's concerning for consumer pocketbooks.

Honestly, I like LEDs headlights. The instant on factor is much better than traditional HIDs. Lighting performance will be the same though post warm up and not taking depreciation into account, but there is a cost. And just to be clear, I'm talking LEDs for headlights designed specifically to capture LED surface mounted light spread.... not people plugging in LEDs for forward projecting headlights in housing not designed specifically to capture those type of light spread.

Last edited by AZN Optics; 03-28-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:41 PM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Having done a bit of night driving, LEDs seem to be superior than the HIDs across the 911 and 958 variants. Road illumination brighter and warmer to the eye but it is an expensive option.

Cheers,

Old 03-31-2016, 09:05 AM
ohnoyuji is infamous around these parts
unless the LED can do like MB do, I won't chose the LED option.
Especially when the LED pattern projected on the headlight housing is very ugly and cheap look.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:18 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
The MB video looks great...but then it is just an animated simulation - wonder what it's like in real life?