Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

all wheel drive system fault Cayenne 2014 85k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 05:13 PM
PorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud of
all wheel drive system fault Cayenne 2014 85k miles

Hello I wanted to find out if anyone has come across this. I've dealt with this pop up message intermittently comes and goes I usually just brush it off by pulling back on the lever to acknowledge it while I'm driving. I can't seem to make it act up on command sometimes aggressive throttle sometimes just putting it into drive will trigger the message. The car does not go into limp mode everything drives drives fine.

My dealer did some recall work around the transfer case and differential. I brought it back in they said this error is not part of what they did for repairs. Dealer would need to spend a lot of time to figure out where the root cause of this is coming from. I've read about older model cayenne's having this trouble with a low battery. But my battery tested okay on the tester.

​​​​ Any thoughts? Thx !

​​​​​​

Old 01-19-2021, 09:56 AM
Registered PM
Boston997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorschenaroundCT
Hello I wanted to find out if anyone has come across this. I've dealt with this pop up message intermittently comes and goes I usually just brush it off by pulling back on the lever to acknowledge it while I'm driving. I can't seem to make it act up on command sometimes aggressive throttle sometimes just putting it into drive will trigger the message. The car does not go into limp mode everything drives drives fine.

My dealer did some recall work around the transfer case and differential. I brought it back in they said this error is not part of what they did for repairs. Dealer would need to spend a lot of time to figure out where the root cause of this is coming from. I've read about older model cayenne's having this trouble with a low battery. But my battery tested okay on the tester.

​​​​ Any thoughts? Thx !

​​​​​​
Hey - did you get to the bottom of this? The same message showed up on my Cayenne S last week and hasn't gone away since. There's a post on Rennlist for this fault message and it turned out to be the transfer case module. I can't communicate with the AWD module through Durametric so I suspect the module may be the issue for me too. Assuming the transfer case module and the AWD module are one and the same... need to research that a little.

Dave

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ght=awd+module

Old 01-20-2021, 07:35 AM
PorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud ofPorschenaroundCT has much to be proud of
Oddly the error never came back. Suggestions were to change car battery due to voltage drop which I would need to do. Reconnect transfer case sensors and transmission ecu harness reconnect due to possible oxidation on terminals. These are the only suggestions I found in my research and talking with two porsche service managers.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:16 PM
Registered PM
Thanks for the quick response! I crawled underneath and unplugged the connector to the TC servo motor module - there was a good amount of corrosion and one of the pins and its corresponding socket were entirely green. I've sprayed some deoxit in there and will reconnect later to see if I can communicate with it again. Seems a likely cause of the fault. I'll confirm if it fixes the problem (either the deoxit or something more mechanical) so others will have the knowledge. Would seem to tie in with your research. Given where this connector is located under the car, and it's lack of any protection from the elements, it seems like a failure waiting to happen - at least in the NE.

Thanks again

Dave

Old 01-17-2022, 05:42 PM
Registered PM
In case anyone else runs into this issue, in my case it was the connector to the transfer case motor/control module at fault (harness side). One of the pins was so corroded that the cable had broken loose but because it was behind the sealing bung it wasn't obvious until I checked for voltage and found none on pin #1, when it should have been hot. You can find the PIN out for the AWD system with an online search - I don't have it to hand. DM me if you want more info; I had a hard time determining which pins were used in the connector as Porsche doesn't stamp it with a P/N. Turns out Mercedes uses the same connector and does!