Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Test drove 957 Cayenne Turbo. Disappointed by the acceleration :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lnferno
I wonder how many people that test drive a CTT realize that it starts off in 2nd by default. You have to purposefully change the settings/gear selection to make it start off in 1st.
Thanks for confirming. I will try to schedule another test drive and use the tiptronic to shift down into first.

Too bad I still can't launch it at 2,000RPM to get the full effect.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:30 PM
lnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura about
I've never done it myself in my CTTS, but I suppose you can try to brake-boost.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PianoProdigy
First I have heard of bypass pipes killing power. Link?
Since I like the sound of the bypass being used, I also would like a link.

Haven't read the thread that is being described.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Bigbuzuki is infamous around these parts
I have read that pressing the brake pedal and accelerator at the same time triggers the DME control to remap (downgrade) the performance map of the engine.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:56 PM
ozr
ozr is infamous around these parts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by E90076
I drove one yesterday as well and was also disappointed.

I was pretty impressed with the X5/X6 xDrive 5.0i but if you really want to be impressed try the X5M/X6M. Insane.
...and after all of that try 2011 CayenneS or TT.

You'll be very surprised after 20 min test drive and after 60 min. you will not turn back... ...unless money is an issue...

OZRacing

Last edited by ozr; 01-16-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 AM
rsa supra is infamous around these parts
Maybe I've forgotten what it was like before bypass pipes and intakes, but I am surprised you don't think it is fast enough... LOL.

Sport Mode is definitely neck snapping. (starts in 1st gear) And while a dead start won't chirp (all 4) tires, brake boosting will definitely chirp the tires and if you don't turn off the PSM it will fall on it's face kicking in the traction control.

It could always be faster (still haven't done reflash) but having driven and owned many cars that will light 315's on the freeway, I am pretty happy with my '08CTT as a daily driver. Not that a Turbo S wouldn't be bad.

Last edited by rsa supra; 01-20-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 AM
pakundo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E90076
I drove one yesterday as well and was also disappointed.

I was pretty impressed with the X5/X6 xDrive 5.0i but if you really want to be impressed try the X5M/X6M. Insane.

old review of the x6...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UwOBKSHl-c

Old 01-20-2011, 01:29 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
you can put only so much powder in a bullet before it just becomes a bomb.......

Launch control in later models allow this to be computer regulated but why not utilize the paddles and manually uptick it.

Ecu flash should allow more torque and HP earlier.........

Old 01-23-2011, 07:34 PM
lnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by PianoProdigy
First I have heard of bypass pipes killing power. Link?
After I read this, I did some searching and found this. I'm really curious about this now. I was close to ordering the Fabspeed bypass pipes, but not sure now (I have a CTTS)?

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...472#entry44472

Old 01-24-2011, 03:03 PM
After I read this, I did some searching and found this. I'm really curious about this now. I was close to ordering the Fabspeed bypass pipes, but not sure now (I have a CTTS)?

I have read that thread and do not dispute any dynos done. So without any first-hand experience, I have to say that their results fly-in-the-face of traditional tuning models- which is turbos (and superchargers) always perform better with reduced exhaust restrictions, since it facilitate quicker exhaust exit and faster air intake on a forced air application.

I should also mention that I noticed that that thread was in 06, before the change in 08 to Porsche's version of the variable valve timing. I would expect the 4.8L TT to behave differently, so I am interesting in feedback in that model.

If still present, I would expect the lower HP anomaly to be a result of the stock tuning. Which means that a proper tune afterwards, should regain that loss HP ground and probably gain more.

As a side note, I was settling in on the fabspeed exhaust bypass but I can't justify the price. I think I will yank them myself and weld in a new section in my garage. I will try to post up a DIY for those of you with strong stomachs. Should be less than $80 in parts (just a rough ballpark).

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 01-24-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:55 AM
1q2w3e4r is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rsa supra
Maybe I've forgotten what it was like before bypass pipes and intakes, but I am surprised you don't think it is fast enough... LOL.

Sport Mode is definitely neck snapping. (starts in 1st gear) And while a dead start won't chirp (all 4) tires, brake boosting will definitely chirp the tires and if you don't turn off the PSM it will fall on it's face kicking in the traction control.

It could always be faster (still haven't done reflash) but having driven and owned many cars that will light 315's on the freeway, I am pretty happy with my '08CTT as a daily driver. Not that a Turbo S wouldn't be bad.
I have to agree, I took one for a test drive last saturday (04 TT) and was shocked at how much low end torque it had and pull.

It's more than fast enough for me as a truck and I've got a 996 TT and had a 130+ mph R23 GTR previously, I entertained the idea that maybe just getting an S would be the way to go.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:53 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
1q2 . . . whos' the chick in the avatar?

First, I too was dissappointed when I first got my SUV. But, it is deceptively smooth and I found that when the temperatures cooled one evening, upon the advice of a friend, I shut off the A/C. Opened the windows partially and put her in Sport mode.

I was shocked at how much the A/C robbed her of power.

Later, I figured that one turns off the PSM (another power rob) and sets the AC to econo which shuts off the condensers.

When I A-X, I have the windows open and most times have the PSM off but I like the pre-pressured brakes having the PSM on provides. Any how, this thing is a gas. Once in a while it gets away from me and I chirp out on all four tires--but that tends to be on left hand turns.

If you demand more power, ship her to Tempe and have EVOMS install the full 700 kit and dyno it. That'll set you back the price of a whole separate car--maybe $22K for parts and $4K for their week of labor then your travel and/or shipping charges = $30,000.

IMHO, you might have gotten a bad car or a bad setup.

While I A-X mine, at speeds >100, these things take on a different life and those speeds are much too fast for me. I leave mine stock because of the money, she's my DD and my dealer won't allow it AND service the warranty.

I like it the way she came; I think Porsche got this one right. There is no need to mod her.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by gr8ful
I like it the way she came; I think Porsche got this one right. There is no need to mod her.
As far as the CTTS goes, I'm in agreement.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !

I started a thread on my experience with these bypass pipes. It does perform better, however there is a very annoying hollow sound coming from the mufflers. Others responded saying it is a known problem since the stock mufflers cant handle the increase in flow. I am probably going to take them off and put my cats back on, just cant stand that noise.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...***-pipes.html

Old 01-25-2011, 12:19 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
As far as the CTTS goes, I'm in agreement.
I've never driven a CTTS but it appears to be highway tarmac specific. The CTT is less limited. Since I take mine off-road and drive winter half the year, I enjoy the facts the CTT can take smaller wheel sizes (18's), tires are the same size all around (instead of staggered), and brake jobs cost a bit less.

One thing I've learned about Porsche, they make their models (versions) for applications and going upscale is not necessarily best. While everyone wants a GT3, unless you're tracking it or on near perfect roads, it's not going be as much fun nor handle wash-board roads as well as a Cayman.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove 957 Cayenne Turbo. Disappointed by the acceleration :(