Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

NEW-957 CTT Exhaust Fabrication...DIY... Warning: Lots of Pics!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by littodevil
I'm awaiting my new 2013 CTT that is schedule to be assembled on Sept 25th
Congrats on the build! I am sure you will love it. It is the same 4.8 DFI engine that I have - different tranny.

debating if I should totally delete the primary cat or leave the primary cat and just delete the secondary one.. my decision is.. well less on exhaust.. (yes yes I know it's bad but I have a hybrid to offset my carbon balance hahaha..) but more on the noise.. I will be driving it all the time but I wasn't sure how much louder it is with the primary cats gone and being almost a straight thru exhaust.. I know this is subjective but.. what's your opinion on it? And.. would you drive it long distance like 1000+ miles with the exhaust you currently have?
As a disclaimer, I am clearly partial. However, with that said, I am pretty objective. Initially, I was kind of concerned that it would be too loud for me. I wanted to avoid an american muscle , straight-pipe V8 sound. I pushed on with the consoling thought that I could also add a couple of resonators after-the-fact to quiet it down some.

After the system was installed, I was a little miffed that the sound is quieter than just having the secondary cat bypass pipes in some regards. I contributed this to a few factors: (A) the x-pipe is known to quiet down dual pipe exhaust systems. It is also placed as far upstream as possible. In the stock system, the air merges in the large factory muffler under the rear bumper. (B) the factory muffler has a raspy note to it. This rasp is amplified when you put on secondary cat bypasses, hence why some people remove them almost immediately (personally, I liked the sound). So with the factory muffler removed, along with most of the rasp, it ended up quieting it down from having just the secondary cat bypass. The exhaust note now is a little bit deeper than raspy (C) the Cayenne has an excellent amount of sound insulation /deadening material. So the sound from the inside went from almost non-exist to a light/med rumble under normal driving conditions- which is what I wanted. Of course, it is louder outside.

Overall, I think it is about 20-30% louder (read: more rumble) inside the cabin. When cruising, off boost, I would challenge a passenger to notice that a full open exhaust was added. That is the beauty of boosted cars, they are not that loud when off boost. WOT is another matter (see my recent vid posted here) So no, I would not hesitate to drive my CTT 1000+ miles - it only really gets loud when I am in the throttle. For example, it is still quiet enough that my wife can peacefully fall asleep in the passenger seat after a night out, so my exhaust system gets her approval.

I would love to build the exhaust myself like you did but.. don't have the time in my day to do it ;(.. I'll probably opt for the Akrapovic full titanium exhaust..
Cool! Yeah, there is isn't much benefit to what I did from a third person perspective. Sure, I saved about $1K from buying the midsection from SuperSprint - but is it more about gaining skills and learning how to fish for me.

I am sure you will love the full titanium exhaust! Put up a sound clip!

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 07-18-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:56 PM
littodevil is infamous around these parts
That's awesome! Thanks for such a detail reply.. I still gotta re-read it to understand it all especially the part where you said it was quieter than just having secondary cat bypass pipes haha.. well the fact that your wife could fall asleep I believe is the perfect answer..!

I tried looking for your vid that you said you posted here.. was it in this thread or somewhere on this forum? Opps nevermind.. just saw it heh.. didn't know that was your vid =X..

If you don't mind me asking.. where are you located? If your near by I would love to check your CTT out! Actually hell if your within any major airports I can fly for free ...

Larry

Old 07-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
That's awesome! Thanks for such a detail reply.. I still gotta re-read it to understand it all especially the part where you said it was quieter than just having secondary cat bypass pipes haha.. well the fact that your wife could fall asleep I believe is the perfect answer..!

I tried looking for your vid that you said you posted here.. was it in this thread or somewhere on this forum? Opps nevermind.. just saw it heh.. didn't know that was your vid =X..

If you don't mind me asking.. where are you located? If your near by I would love to check your CTT out! Actually hell if your within any major airports I can fly for free ...

Larry
Cool - PM sent.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
subscribed too, but I cant find the dang video

Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by cordsig79
subscribed too, but I cant find the dang video
Ask and you shall receive....

Is this the video you are looking for?

VIDEO [HD 1080P]: Short Film - Wicked Cayenne Turbo

Old 09-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Just got a TIG welder and have practicing a little lately (besides stress tests)... Looks like I might be upgrading my exhaust sooner than I expected. Look out for this thread, part 2

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TIG_Practice_3.jpg
Views:	1977
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	281107   Click image for larger version

Name:	TIG_Practice_1.jpg
Views:	1940
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	281108   Click image for larger version

Name:	TIG_Practice_2.jpg
Views:	1902
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	281109  
Old 09-16-2013, 01:24 PM
s4treg is infamous around these parts
Stack those nickels!

Old 09-20-2013, 02:06 AM
littodevil is infamous around these parts
Now.. THAT is wicked!!! Welding is one thing I have yet to learn.. it will happen... xD... Post more pics on anything u do! It's like.. car ****.. haha..

Larry

Old 09-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Hahaha! Glad you guys enjoy it too! I am definitely excited to mark off another checkbox on my skills list ... TIG welding ..Check!

Now I just have to have a good excuse to cut and weld more stuff...

Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Saggio is infamous around these parts
Kent, this is awesome!

Wish i were in the same state as you.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Saggio
Kent, this is awesome!

Wish i were in the same state as you.
Same here! Now lets get you a lifted pepper for the winter season! I am sure you will catch many bro-trucks off guard!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:51 AM
In case that last TIG image was not clear to anyone, that was the net result of a stress test. Repeated blows from a 5 lb hammer, then I lined up the seam on my 8 in vice and tightened it almost as tight as I could. No visual signs of stress from the weld joint. I was very very pleased with the outcome.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Saggio is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Same here! Now lets get you a lifted pepper for the winter season! I am sure you will catch many bro-trucks off guard!
Haha! Yeah, waiting on my wheels to get back from the Powder Coater. Tires are already here and ready to go on.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:04 AM
panchosouth is infamous around these parts
Sweet Dog Biscuits! I just watched the video of the back road.....Save me Jebus.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:36 AM
SRT88 is infamous around these parts
I would like to ask if there is any data for what max power is using stock downpipes with Primary cats + Secondary replaced by a straight pipe.
I am installing hybrid mamba turbochargers (turbine side with 9 instead of 12 blades; 20+T compressor side - 4961).