Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

INSTALL: Cayenne Auto Sport Mode Module [PICS] [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Video INSTALL: Cayenne Auto Sport Mode Module [PICS] [VIDEO]

This idea has been brewing for a while, but really didn't gain any traction with me until I responded to a thread by member, Jeff SD. He wanted a way to turn on "Sport" mode automatically, by default.

For a sports car manufacturer, it only makes sense that you would want your sporty vehicle to be in "Sport" mode by default. Since there is no memory or latching feature built-in, it resets with the ignition cycle. The more I thought about it, the more it bothered me. Soon my subconscious started working on a solution without me knowing...

So the basic design parameter is simple. The sport mode would have to turn on, as if you pressed the button, as soon as the car starts. You should also be able to turn it off, for slippery conditions, or even worse...fuel economy. How hard can it be?

DISCLAIMER

This thread is not intended for anyone to copy or imitate. I am not endorsing any products or companies. I am merely showing the steps I went through to get this working for me. If you think you want to do something similar, contact your local electronics professional and ask for assistance and proceed at your own risk. I assume no responsibility for any work performed on your vehicle.

INTRODUCTION

After a few napkin sketches and online research, it was clear that I would have to build this from scratch.

This was the game plan:

(A) I will open the level control switch and identify the two contact points that are momentarily connected when you press the "sport" button. I will tap the point after the button to "bypass" the button and directly connect the appropriate wire in the level control switch wiring harness.

(B)
Since it only turns on "sport" mode after you press and RELEASE the button, I will have to momentarily bridge the two points (bypassing the sport button) for it to work. Timing was not an issue. I will use a relay for this.

(C) I will have to convert a constant 12V DC ignition wire to a 12V pulse signal to activate the relay in statement B. This will momentarily bridge the two points needed. To do this, I will have to use a second relay and few other components.

(D) I will have to tap the level control switch wiring harness, locate 12V ignition wire, and ground.

SPECIAL NOTE

CONTENTS

To make this big install easier to digest, I have broken it into four main categories/posts:

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 11-11-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Relay Box

These small relays are perfect for this application. Not only are they overrated, they are also spec'd for a min operation of 10 million! They will easily outlive the service of my Cayenne.

They are a much smaller (dense) package than the first version which used two traditional BOSCH SPDT Relays and a separate box for the resistors and capacitor. There are only 4 wires coming out of the latest version to make it as compact and easy to install.

Version 1 (3 boxes) on the left and Version 2 (1 box) on the right

Now on to building the relay box setup:

I used hot glue (low heat) to set the relays inside the project box

I used hot glue (high heat) to set the wires permanently in place

All done here....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (2).JPG
Views:	1963
Size:	596.3 KB
ID:	298682   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (3).JPG
Views:	172
Size:	469.0 KB
ID:	298683   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (4).JPG
Views:	172
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	298684   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (5).JPG
Views:	1940
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	298685   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (6).JPG
Views:	1920
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	298686  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (7).JPG
Views:	1890
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	298687   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (8).JPG
Views:	1923
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	298688   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (9).JPG
Views:	1854
Size:	483.1 KB
ID:	298689   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (10).JPG
Views:	1803
Size:	511.1 KB
ID:	298690   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (11).JPG
Views:	1753
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	298691  

Name:	SportMode (12).JPG
Views:	1746
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	298692  

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 11-11-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Level Control Switch Mod

Here is the back of the modded level control switch with the added wire. There is a quick disconnect for this wire. Note the ziptie providing extra strain relief

Name:	SportMode (20).JPG
Views:	1744
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	298704   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (21).JPG
Views:	1726
Size:	522.5 KB
ID:	298705  

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 11-11-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Installation

There are just three additional wires I had to add:
(1) level control switch harness tap (blue/black stripe)

(2) fused 12V ignition

(3) ground
The fused 12V ignition was used from a wire tap previously added for another project in the right fuse bank. The ground was tapped from the cigarette lighter in the passenger foot well since it was close.

Closeup of harness tapped wire

Quick disconnect added for harness wire tap to level control switch wire

Showing the fuse bank tap for fused 12V ignition

The module will fit right below center brace and on top of the shifter base

Here the module is in its new home with velcro. Tight fit, but works well!

Here is the modified level control switch harness once taped back up

Switch connected with added sport mode wire. Looks clean. All set here!!

Name:	SportMode (22).JPG
Views:	1743
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	298706   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (23).JPG
Views:	1716
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	298707   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (24).JPG
Views:	1675
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	298708   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (25).JPG
Views:	1747
Size:	591.5 KB
ID:	298709   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (26).JPG
Views:	1660
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	298710  

Name:	SportMode (27).JPG
Views:	1708
Size:	593.3 KB
ID:	298711   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (28).JPG
Views:	1588
Size:	494.4 KB
ID:	298712   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (29).JPG
Views:	1855
Size:	548.3 KB
ID:	298713   Click image for larger version

Name:	SportMode (30).JPG
Views:	1712
Size:	577.8 KB
ID:	298714  

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 11-09-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Conclusion - Video

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 11-11-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:39 PM
GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !
Kent, I think this sums it up!

Name:	ce5a2f47-5172-4b58-92a3-a2cf086f2e2f.jpg
Views:	1555
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	298723  
Old 11-09-2013, 09:02 PM
aspenone is infamous around these partsaspenone is infamous around these parts
This is an amazing write up...I gotta say im very impressed with the wiring and the way you went about it. I tried giving you rep points as well it it gave me the same message as mayhem LOL nice job Kent

Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 AM
crs051767 is infamous around these parts
Wow! I share Kent's sentiment - you did an amazing job. Have you thought at making a few more and sell them? I'll be interested in buying it, just to save me the time and effort of building it myself...

Old 11-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by Mayhem996TT
Kent, I think this sums it up!
Originally Posted by aspenone
This is an amazing write up...I gotta say im very impressed with the wiring and the way you went about it. I tried giving you rep points as well it it gave me the same message as mayhem LOL nice job Kent
Originally Posted by crs051767
Wow! I share Kent's sentiment - you did an amazing job.
Thanks - you guys rock!

Originally Posted by crs051767
Have you thought at making a few more and sell them? I'll be interested in buying it, just to save me the time and effort of building it myself...
Since a few people have asked me for help, I think I will offer to build these on a request basis for members...

Name:	rockstar-rockstar-kiss-gene-simmons-smiley-emoticon-000231-large.gif
Views:	10890
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	299087  
Old 11-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Okay - it is now official. For any members who do not have access to a local electronics professional they trust or do not want to deal with the hassle of building this themselves, I will offer to build/ship out the prewired relay box and a modified level control switch. All you would have to do are steps 1-3 in Post 4 since it requires the installation vehicle to be present. This should not take more than a couple of hours and will be easy for any shop, member, or independent mechanic to wire in. For people who are very comfortable with wiring (sound/alarm installers), this can be wired up in under an hour as shipped. It will come with wire taps as an option so you do not have to solder any connections if you are not comfortable. Although soldering is the recommendation.

Since I have to modify the level control switch, there will be two pricing models for members who do not want any downtime:

Option #1 -
If you do not want to remove and ship me your level control switch, then I can order members a new level control switch (about $130), then ship you the relay box and modded switch all together for you to install in a couple of hours.
Option #2 -
You can remove and ship me your current level control switch (vehicle is not safely driveable without it) and I will modify it and ship you the relay box and modded switch in a few days turnaround.
If you are interested in adding this functionality, PM for pricing for both options.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 11-11-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:44 PM
GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !
Paypal payment sent Kent! Can't wait and thanks for providing both options.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:01 AM
carlosC4S is infamous around these parts
Kent, is this 957 only? I know the 955 has a button that cant be pressed and assume that fitting this wont actually activate anything in the ECU settings, right?

If so, your next project is getting a module for Sport on a 955

Old 03-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by carlosC4S
Kent, is this 957 only? I know the 955 has a button that cant be pressed and assume that fitting this wont actually activate anything in the ECU settings, right?

If so, your next project is getting a module for Sport on a 955

Yeah... I know I said in my video that this should work in the 955 as well, but I forgot that they did not come with the "Sport" button that the 957 has. The large "Sport" button in the 957 sharpens throttle response and transmission behavior accordingly.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to activate in the 955. Unless, you want "traction off" by default