Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Cayenne - Softronics Tune + Bolt-ons - Results ~ 726 hp / 808 tq

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 06:14 PM
aspenone is infamous around these partsaspenone is infamous around these parts
makes sense about the dips now atleast it was noise and not the motor spiking

Old 06-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
@ Renn. man, I still havent figured out multi quoting, lol!

There are no liners in the Cayenne blocks!!! They are straight Alusil!

I will try to dig up the docs on the Aisin trans. I know that what makes the difference in the capacity based upon which vehicle the trans go's into is the clutch pack and how many friction plates are used. The CTT is of course the highest power vehicle that trans ever went into and I would assume gets the most friction plates. Instead of trying to guess at what will break in the trans. my plan is to just try to limit torque to around 800 and build a lot more top end power and see what breaks first. Looks like I'm going to be doing at least a dual 3" exhaust:-)

Have you looked into an air-oil separator or catch can setup? You might pick up a bit of timing and some power by getting that oil out of the intake charge. That mist is a mess and really induces detonation.

Last edited by Mr. Haney; 06-28-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: adds
Old 06-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
@ Renn. man, I still havent figured out multi quoting, lol!
Ha! No worries. Take a look at this, it might help you out:

There are no liners in the Cayenne blocks!!! They are straight Alusil!
Really? I guess that answers that. I know that some guys over in Russia were putting in Iron sleeves, instead of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alusil.

I will try to dig up the docs on the Aisin trans. I know that what makes the difference in the capacity based upon which vehicle the trans go's into is the clutch pack and how many friction plates are used. The CTT is of course the highest power vehicle that trans ever went into and I would assume gets the most friction plates. Instead of trying to guess at what will break in the trans. my plan is to just try to limit torque to around 800 and build a lot more top end power and see what breaks first.
Sounds like a good plan to me. Send over the documentation if you run across it again.

Looks like I'm going to be doing at least a dual 3" exhaust:-)
Thanks for the hat tip. Considering these results, it is a no brainer - especially at these power levels.

Have you looked into an air-oil separator or catch can setup? You might pick up a bit of timing and some power by getting that oil out of the intake charge. That mist is a mess and really induces detonation.
Good idea - a secondary air-oil separator inline with the stock unit; maybe if you could work in some AN stainless braided lines too that would be awesome. I may or may not be one-step ahead of you on this one.. unconfirmed

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1896.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	577.9 KB
ID:	392592   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1896.JPG
Views:	2419
Size:	577.9 KB
ID:	392593  
Old 06-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
You can get alusil liners, you can get alum. liners nikasil plated, and you can get reg iron liners. I chose to go iron because my builder had a lot of experience with it in the Cay. engine, cost, servicabiity, ring selection, and the Cay. block is a good candidate for sleeving to begin with.

Far as the A/O sep. go's
A. Not fair that you didn't list it in your mods;-)
B. What brand, are you happy with it?
C. Is it a catch can or a/o and if the latter where do you have the drain plumbed to?

Old 06-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I chose to go iron because my builder had a lot of experience with it in the Cay. engine, cost, servicabiity, ring selection, and the Cay. block is a good candidate for sleeving to begin with.
Considering that there are not many engine builders with experience with the Cayenne engine, do you mind posting or sending over the name and contact info for your builder/shop?

Far as the A/O sep. go's
A. Not fair that you didn't list it in your mods;-)
B. What brand, are you happy with it?
C. Is it a catch can or a/o and if the latter where do you have the drain plumbed to?
LOL... I didn't post it b/c it has been the most drawn out project yet. I was working on it for over 3 months (between other more important tasks) and literally just got done with it last week. It is too new to know how well it works.

It is a Mitsimoto baffled oil catch can with a threaded drain in case you wanted to turn it into an air/oil separator. I chose not to do the latter since I did not like the idea of welding into the oil pan in the Cayenne. The oil pan is hard to remove while on the vehicle and you introduce the possibility of warping the pan. So the easiest and most reliable option was to leave it as a catch can.

The design of this unit is pretty impressive; especially the fluid dynamics modelling

Old 06-28-2014, 09:09 PM
Steve.zdravko is infamous around these parts
Yep.. from a couple of years go. She has quite a bit more power now though. Here is the link:

Video: Wicked Cayenne Turbo - Dyno[/QUOTE]

That sounds tough I love it. Good job

Old 06-29-2014, 05:12 AM
TT VIPER is infamous around these parts
Hey Kent,

566 hp / 630 tq at the wheels is nothing but incredible for a 957 CTT. You have been my inspiration for the big build I have been doing and I'm sure you have led the way for many others who are modifying their Cayennes. The Cayenne community could not thank you enough.

I think you have reached the point where the stock turbos and stock intercoolers will be the limiting factors for you. Considering the amount of custom work you have done on your car, why not replace the intercooler with larger ones and achieve the real potential of the stock turbos? The ultimate step would be replacing the turbos together with the intercoolers and unleashing the real potential of the 957 CTT platform.

I have couple questions for you:
* Why did you go back to stock Bosh plugs? Any problem with the colder plugs?
* You have 2.75" piping from outlet of the intercoolers all the way to the throttle body including Y pipe. Why not also do the rest of the intake piping from cold air intake to the turbo inlet and from turbo outlet to intercooler inlet?
* Ditch those stock intercoolers for some large size efficient ones with Garrett air-to-air cores. Yeah, this was not a question.

Subscribed...

Old 06-29-2014, 08:20 AM
@ Renn. PM sent

Old 06-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by TT VIPER
566 hp / 630 tq at the wheels is nothing but incredible for a 957 CTT. You have been my inspiration for the big build I have been doing and I'm sure you have led the way for many others who are modifying their Cayennes. The Cayenne community could not thank you enough.
Thank you! That is very kind! I hope we are encouraging others in the P-world to appreciate how special these V8 engines are in the car world. These sorts of gains with a tune and bolts-ons are simply unheard of on any other platforms. We are talking about hp/tq that dwarfs a Lamborghini Aventador V12 (700 hp / 507 ft lbs tq)!

I think you have reached the point where the stock turbos and stock intercoolers will be the limiting factors for you.
Agreed - this and potentially the transmission. No one know quite how much abuse it can take reliably.

Considering the amount of custom work you have done on your car, why not replace the intercooler with larger ones and achieve the real potential of the stock turbos?
Up to this point, I always said that the stock intercoolers are more than capable. Considering the amount of heat soak I have seen at the track and on the dyno, I am still adamant that they are quite capable. Also, the intercooler conversation became a lot less important once I added methanol, since it drops IATs. Value-wise, I wasn't convinced that replacing the intercoolers was going to be worth the cost or added gains. Especially since good intercoolers are in the $2K+ range.

However, if I wanted to push the stock turbos further, I would have to redo the plumbing from the turbo to the the bottom of the intercoolers and also increase the volume of air the intercoolers can handle. To do the latter, I would have to replace the stock intercoolers with larger units.

I am currently considering getting a set of intercooler cores and fabricating a new set of intercoolers from scratch. I just hate TIG welding aluminum

The ultimate step would be replacing the turbos together with the intercoolers and unleashing the real potential of the 957 CTT platform.
This is correct. I have had a few conversations about pulling the engine and replacing the turbos. However, without a built bottom end and knowing how much the transmission can hold, I am not rushing in this direction. I think will enjoy this stock configuration for a few more years, then consider a complete build later on.

* Why did you go back to stock Bosh plugs? Any problem with the colder plugs?
It wasn't intentional. I had some hesitation and misfiring issues and replaced the colder plugs with stock plugs as part of the troubleshooting process. However, it turned out it was bad MAFs. Once I replaced the MAFs, I just left the stock plugs in since I didn't notice any difference.

* You have 2.75" piping from outlet of the intercoolers all the way to the throttle body including Y pipe. Why not also do the rest of the intake piping from cold air intake to the turbo inlet and from turbo outlet to intercooler inlet?
I know..it might seem obvious now. But the main reason I ran 2.75" piping down to the intercooler was primarily to properly feed the larger TB and plenum.

I am tempting to go and run larger piping to the other end of the intercoolers to the turbos, however, the intercoolers themselves would be the bottleneck in that scenario. So ideally, I would have larger intercoolers, then run larger piping.

* Ditch those stock intercoolers for some large size efficient ones with Garrett air-to-air cores. Yeah, this was not a question.
Ha! Okay..something to think about I guess. I still think the methanol helps with the IATs. The main reason to swap intercoolers for me would be to decrease any flow bottlenecks. FWIW, I am already over what these Mitsubishi TD04-18T turbochargers are known to output. I doubt there is much more to extract at this level.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 06-30-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:11 AM
@ Renn. PM sent
Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	080892-glossy-black-icon-business-thumbs-up1.png
Views:	2218
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	392785  
Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Mang0 is infamous around these parts
From what I've read, I would agree the stock turbos would be the next limiting factor for when you decide to go to that "next level". Intercoolers would obviously follow with the turbo upgrades. Unless of course you want to get silly and start reducing the weight.

A few questions:

1. I read why the change back to the stock plugs, every tuner nearly insists you go "one step colder" so would you say this is an unnecessary expense? I'm due to change the plugs on mine soon which is why I ask (I'm doing plenum, cai, tune, bypass pipes atm)

2. Tranny cooler - obviously for longevity/durability, was this something custom or is it an out-of-the-box item? DIY'er mod or not so much?

3. Would you recommend a similar build for a 955? particularly the plenum and intake manifold?

It's too bad there's not a huge following like with the cheap DSM's (Talon/Eclipse) or the Evo's that have specific tranny shops building and beefing transmissions up.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Yeah..okay. So maybe I budged just a little under pressure

After loads of research and careful consideration, I am coming back from my modding-retirement on this platform in order to fabricate my own set of intercoolers. The main reason is for additional flow. By opening up the just less than 2" inlet/outlets on the factory intercooler, I should be able to increase engine response.

The Garrett air-to-air intercoolers are good, but they size their cores for primarily horizontal front mount applications. They have very few options for vertical side mount applications. So when all was said and done, I went with ETS cores since they seem to be able hold their own against the current OEM standard in the 911 world, the 997.2/GT2RS intercoolers.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Mang0
From what I've read, I would agree the stock turbos would be the next limiting factor for when you decide to go to that "next level". Intercoolers would obviously follow with the turbo upgrades. Unless of course you want to get silly and start reducing the weight.
Going with intercoolers first to reduce a small bottleneck. If anything, a dense aluminum core that is thicker with aluminum end tanks would be heavier than the OEM intercoolers.

A few questions:

1. I read why the change back to the stock plugs, every tuner nearly insists you go "one step colder" so would you say this is an unnecessary expense? I'm due to change the plugs on mine soon which is why I ask (I'm doing plenum, cai, tune, bypass pipes atm)
At that power level, you do not need to worry about colder plugs. As I said earlier in this thread, I went back to stock plugs as part of a troubleshooting process that turned out to be bad MAFs.

You also need to keep in mind that methanol lowers the internal combustion temp range by about 150 -200 F degs, so I can get by with hotter plugs while running methanol.

2. Tranny cooler - obviously for longevity/durability, was this something custom or is it an out-of-the-box item? DIY'er mod or not so much?
A little bit of each: out of the box, custom, and DIY. Here is the full write up on it:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...oler-pics.html

3. Would you recommend a similar build for a 955? particularly the plenum and intake manifold?
Absolutely! The only main difference is that the IHI turbos on the 955 are not rated to flow as much as the TD04-18T used in the 957/958. However, there are plenty of gains to be seen.

It's too bad there's not a huge following like with the cheap DSM's (Talon/Eclipse) or the Evo's that have specific tranny shops building and beefing transmissions up.
Agreed. I am sure if you just wanted to throw money at it, you could get it sorted. Just not convinced it is worth the time and money right now.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Arrow

Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Yeah..okay. So maybe I budged just a little under pressure

After loads of research and careful consideration, I am coming back from my modding-retirement on this platform in order to fabricate my own set of intercoolers. The main reason is for additional flow. By opening up the just less than 2" inlet/outlets on the factory intercooler, I should be able to increase engine response.

The Garrett air-to-air intercoolers are good, but they size their cores for primarily horizontal front mount applications. They have very few options for vertical side mount applications. So when all was said and done, I went with ETS cores since they seem to be able hold their own against the current OEM standard in the 911 world, the 997.2/GT2RS intercoolers.
Way to go man. You know you have been holding on doing the intercooler replacement for a while. I'm very excited to see what you will come up with.

Next in the list should be replacing the Turbos..

Old 07-17-2014, 02:35 PM
What are the dimensions of that intercooler? ETS is well known performance company and a strong player in the GTR league. Their products are very high quality.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne - Softronics Tune + Bolt-ons - Results ~ 726 hp / 808 tq