Cayenne Amp died

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:31 PM
wfo900 is infamous around these parts
Cayenne Amp died

The amplifier in my 2004 S died. Porsche wants $1700 for a new one. I'm not inclined to do that because ultimately I'd like something designed this century in there and am going to go aftermarket. Can I replace the amp with an aftermarket one for now?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:55 AM
FAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the rough
I could be wrong, but I believe most of the amplified Cayenne systems use the MOST network, the amplifier doesn't get a normal signal to it, rather it has data sent to it from the HU. Pretty sophisticated stuff, and much more advanced than the aftermarket stuff out there (I worked with that stuff installing it for ~5 years).

You could still replace it, but you'd likely need a new headunit, new amp (which depending on how the factory one was set up, you may need multiple, it's not uncommon for factory systems to have crossovers in the amp which requires a separate channel per speaker, and even then you need to have active crossovers in the amp for each channel or before the amp for each channel), you might need speakers depending on the impedances (though honestly this is rather unlikely, Most aftermarket amps can handle going down to 2 ohms or so in 4channels, and its unlikely for an OEM to run 1 ohm speakers. It's more likely they'd run 6 or 8 ohm speakers and you'd get less power to your speakers). All in all, you're looking at more than $1700 to get back to factory levels if your vehicle uses the MOST network.

I'd check ebay, or see if you can find a smaller electronics shop that can fix amps. My shop had a deal with a little electronics shop (1 guy actually) that we would send factory amps to for repair, he never found one he couldn't fix, and gave us cheap pricing on it due to volume, which led to us making a little bit of profit off the whole thing.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on if your vehicle would be using a data network for its amplifier and how to tell.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the detailed and clear advice

Old 12-13-2011, 06:59 PM
D3viL is infamous around these parts
Does yours come with the Bose amp? If yea no way on finding aftermarket you really need the Bose amp. What I did for mine is get used for $250 and changed it myself. DIY job.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:17 PM
twilight is infamous around these parts
The quick answer is "no", as covered in previous posts. First, when you say died...what do you mean? Are you sure it is the amp...if so, i have an amp in perfect working order that i would willing to part with, made the transistion to a new system last summer. Send me a PM to determine a fair price. Also have the original PCM, if that turns out to be the problem.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:59 PM
StevenConatser is infamous around these parts
Can anyone help me. I have a 2005 cayenne need to change the amp dealer said it was bad they wanted 1600 to change

Old 10-31-2012, 08:36 PM
Well of course they do....hence the nickname "stealer" . On eBay the amps are selling for about $500 - mine worked fine before removed and would let it go for $400. I keep posting here in case someone needs one - always thought I could put my vehicle back to stock if I sold it - am over that...can help with the takeout via email...

The one thing I would recommend is to pull all the cables from the amp and then plug them back in.....the amp will throw a code if the cable is loose....will send you my email since you have so few posts

Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Has anyone gotten in to pull the amp? How do you get the interior panel that surrounds it off?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:42 PM
The little silver surround - just pulls out - buy one of the cute plastic pry bars at your local auto store like these -

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=454199_0_0_

Update: this was wrong -- you were asking about the amp - in back held in with four bolts - may be easier to take it out with the bracket - just do not remember - just start yanking panels - they go back in easy enough - think the aluminum plate in the middle needs to be removed to access some screws....let me know - have instructions somewhere - if you have not completed....

Last edited by twilight; 11-17-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Wrong answer
Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks!

Old 11-17-2012, 11:47 AM
No - the amp works on a fiber optic cable from the head unit - then sends the signals out to all 11 (i think) speakers - including the subwoofer. Going to a new head unit requires you to run a harness with all the signals between the old connector and the new head unit - not hard - but your interior on the passenger side all the way back needs to be removed to access wiring - antenna - etc. Include a back-up camera and you will be able to work at the Porsche factory assembling vehicles! All worth it in the end - new head units put out enough power to scrap the need for an additional amp - in my humble opinion and 50yr old ears.

As always - if you amp is bad - I have a working one - make me an offer....