Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:04 PM
kenkw is infamous around these parts
Extended warranty

Hi all,

I just took delivery of our 2012 Cayenne (base model) and dealer is offering an extended warranty with Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc. with the following terms:

- Platinum coverage
- 7 years or 70,000 miles
- $3770.00
- $100 deductible

Dealer has given us 5 days to decide. Is this a good deal? This is our first Porsche but I am concern with all the electronic components that something may break after the standard 4 years/40,000 miles.

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:09 PM
mikijoe1 is infamous around these parts
In france it is 1250 euros for 1 year of Porsche approved... + 500 euros checkup

Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 PM
crowland is infamous around these parts
I think the standard is 4/50K miles- this sounds like a waste of money to me- are you going to keep the car for 7+ years? I think if the answer is yes then you should consider it, if the answer is no then I don't see any reason unless it's tranferrable to the next owner and might add some assurance to the next buyer. You should check into aftermarket warranties before committing to this one- it's not a great price- here was my personal experience-I was quoted 3,800 for my 2006 CTT-S for 6yr/60 miles when it had 83K miles on the odometer from a 3rd party reputable warranty company. I spoke to the dealer to see what they could offer and the best they could do was 7K for a 3yr/36K miles extension.

I would think at this early stage of ownership you would rather put that money down on the car versus paying for a warranty that is going to kick in 4 years down the road.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:59 PM
nardeezy is infamous around these parts
You don't need to get that yet. There's a guy by the name of Troy Dietrich (www.fd-warranty.com) who sells Fidelity plans for Porsche at wholesale prices. As long as the vehicle is still within the factory warranty period you can get a Fidelity plan. I believe the price gets significantly higher after owning the vehicle after 3yr/30k miles.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:06 PM
ApeKillApe is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kenkw
Hi all,

I just took delivery of our 2012 Cayenne (base model) and dealer is offering an extended warranty with Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc. with the following terms:

- Platinum coverage
- $3770.00
- $100 deductible

Dealer has given us 5 days to decide. Is this a good deal? This is our first Porsche but I am concern with all the electronic components that something may break after the standard 4 years/40,000 miles.

Thanks.
Hi,

I signed up for the same thing. Can I back out of it and purchase it from the wholesale guy?? Your response is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:59 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kenkw
Hi all,

- Platinum coverage
- $3770.00
- $100 deductible

Thanks.
I don't think I've seen much of electronic issues come up for Cayenne in general. There are notorious components that fail but those were mostly first gen models. I'd pass that offer. Oil changes and 20K maintenance were all I've done so far and I spent less than $4k over 6 years. Rock solid car. Move on!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Several things:

- The warranty being sold - does it add 7 years and 70,000 miles to the factory warranty? If not - then it's a 3 year/20,000 mile warranty. This is a new vehicle right? This sort of aftermarket "extended" warranty normally starts the day the warranty goes into effect - meaning the first 4 years and 50,000 miles of it is wasted - since the truck will be under Porsche's warranty. That's awfully expensive.

- This sort of warranty can be purchased by you directly.. besides the discount guy mentioned above, there are BUNCHES of places selling this sort of warranty, and it's a very competitive business.

- The dealer makes 100% on the sale of one of these warranties. He's probably making more on the warranty then on the sale of the P!G.. If he's offering it for $3770 - it cost him half that to put it in effect. He's also trying to pressure you with the "5 days" crap. If it was me - I'd make a suggestion on where he can put the warranty, after asking him if the Cayenne is such a P!G that it needs an extended warranty.

If you really want to have an extended warranty - wait until the factory warranty is almost up then do some shopping for one. Price won't be any worse then - and you'll know by then if you're actually keeping the truck..

Last edited by deilenberger; 04-12-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Procera is infamous around these parts
I would pass on it. You won't even use it for the first 4 years anyway.

My $0.02

Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 AM
db_gadget is infamous around these parts
All comes down to how much are you gonna drive it. I bought a one year old S model with 38K miles and then purchased a extended warranty the next day to take it out to 100K. It cost me $4K. The one thing i will say is that i never used up the $4k in service. Probably about $2.5 -$3k. It was always a lot of stupid little things that cost 7-$800 a shot. I finally ended up getting rid of the Cayenne at 100,000 because i just had this impending feeling like something was going to go up soon that was just going to hammer me. I also needed something just a bit larger than the Cayenne. It was fun while it lasted though.