Cayenne Vibration while idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:01 AM
CedarZ4 is infamous around these parts
Cayenne Vibration while idle

Hey guys,

I have an '09 base Cayenne. It has less than 40k miles, but it seems to have a heavier vibration at idle than I would like. It's not body shaking, but it's definitely not as quiet as my Mercedes. When I bought it new, it was dead quiet with no vibration. What's the reason for this does anyone know? I go to the dealer for routine maintenance and they haven't really told me there was a problem.

Also, I know the auto-tranny on the Cayennes are not the best (for the 957 atleast). However, sometimes it seems like it has trouble shifting until it reaches like 3.5k rpm. On top of that, the gear change isn't exactly smooth. Sometimes I get this whiplash effect almost. Is this normal? I don't remember how it was when I got it new. I don't race my car, and have probably only floored it a few times in the 3 years.

Is this of concern? Maybe an indication of semi-clogged valves... Pre-misfiring? I know direct-injections are prone to clogged valves and misfiring =/

Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM
lbredefe is infamous around these parts
Red face Normal

Cedar,

IDLING stuff....

the idle might have a little vibration because it is idling at a little too low RPM.

as mine has gotten up in miles, occasionally the idle will dip down just for a second and as soon as it hits that 250rpm or so, it will vibrate a bit.

SHIFTING stuff...

the cayenne's map out a custom shift pattern every time you accelerate based on how you start driving from the light. if you push down even a little more than normal, it may choose a fully custom, brand new, more aggressive shift pattern... it decides this with a little help on your end.

if you leave a light and are accelerating even slightly aggressively, and then back off the pedal to get it to shift into the next gear, it may not instantly because it was expecting you to continue and not second guess your own driving pattern. after some milliseconds, it figures it out and accommodates.

you can read more about auto custom shift patterns in the manual.