New air filters, better throttle response

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:17 AM
S-B-D is infamous around these partsS-B-D is infamous around these parts
New air filters, better throttle response

So I just switched out the OEM air filters in my '09 GTS for some K&N filters. I did this myself. The process was a bit tedious, but not complicated in any way. Took about 1.5 hours from start to finish, including cleaning all the parts (why not) as I went along. I had never done this before in the Cayenne. I could probably do it again in half the time.

There has been some controversy on the use of these oiled filters in vehicles that have MAF sensors. I have been using them for years and have no issues. The trick is to let the filters dry out a bit prior to install. Sometimes, they can come a little too heavily oiled. I let the filters sit out on paper towels for about a week, and there was definitely oil residue noted. I then took a blow dryer to them for about 15 minutes each.

The engine feels much more responsive to initial throttle input. When you take apart the Cayenne air boxes, you see that it looks to be a somewhat restrictive system overall. There are claims of a small hp gain, but in the grand scheme of things, this is not relevant. The improved throttle response, however, is. The Big Pepper has always been a touch sluggish to get moving, and feels much less asthmatic now. I highly recommend this simple, inexpensive mod.

People have made comments about how "this is a Porsche" and obviously Porsche would not use a substandard OEM air filter. WRONG!!!! Let me just say this: We own a Porsche, a BMW and an Audi. They all use the same brand of filter. Something is obviously going on here in Deutscheland. Willing to bet Mercedes uses the same brand too.

Cheers !!!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Saggio is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to finally do this too.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Thank you for the information, I was wondering how throttle response would change with a K&N Air Filter in a GTS. The key as you mentioned is to not over saturate the filter with oil but let it naturally dry out for a while after spraying it.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
Thank you for the information, I was wondering how throttle response would change with a K&N Air Filter in a GTS. The key as you mentioned is to not over saturate the filter with oil but let it naturally dry out for a while after spraying it.
Maybe I should have used a different term? I don't mean throttle response throughout the entire powerband like you get when switching from standard to sport mode. I am referring only to the INITIAL response to the "gas pedal".

It is almost as if, with the standard filters, there is a time lag for enough air to get sucked into the intake manifold on depression of the "gas pedal". This time lag appears to be decreased with the less restrictive filters.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by S-B-D
Maybe I should have used a different term? I don't mean throttle response throughout the entire powerband like you get when switching from standard to sport mode. I am referring only to the INITIAL response to the "gas pedal".

It is almost as if, with the standard filters, there is a time lag for enough air to get sucked into the intake manifold on depression of the "gas pedal". This time lag appears to be decreased with the less restrictive filters.
This has very little to do with the air filter, and more to do with safety regulations, and passenger comfort unfortunately.

There is a bit of built in lag in almost all throttle pedals anymore. There is an "average position" built into the throttle response that helps keep throttle steady on highway cruising, but also adds a bit of delay to a full throttle stomp.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
This has very little to do with the air filter, and more to do with safety regulations, and passenger comfort unfortunately.

There is a bit of built in lag in almost all throttle pedals anymore. There is an "average position" built into the throttle response that helps keep throttle steady on highway cruising, but also adds a bit of delay to a full throttle stomp.
So I guess you are telling me that's its really all a placebo effect? Well, I have no real way to confirm or refute.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by S-B-D
So I guess you are telling me that's its really all a placebo effect? Well, I have no real way to confirm or refute.
A higher flow air filter will help your engine breathe better, and will result in slightly higher power numbers. That said, it will likely not be enough to be noticeable, and there is certainly not enough restriction in a stock filter to create noticeable lag in throttle response.