Valet mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:34 PM
TSAF NKUF is infamous around these parts
Valet mode

JUST WAS READING THIS ARTICLE. IF CORVETTE CAN DO IT, I KNOW PORSCHE CAN. CAUSE WE ALL WORRY ABOUT OUR CARS WHEN IT'S VALET PARKED.

New Corvette feature keeps an eye on valets

DETROIT (AP) - Face it. If you own a luxury or sports car, whenever you hand the keys to a valet, you imagine the car going on a high-speed joyride like the Ferrari in the 1980s cult movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."
Now, General Motors has an option on the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette that takes those worries away.
The latest version of the sports car, due out in September, has a feature that records where the car goes with a camera mounted in the windshield trim. It also captures audio in the cabin as well as speed, engine revolutions per minute, gear position and G-force. That all helps the car tattle on any valet who doesn't take a slow, direct route to a parking space.
GM says it's the most extensive attempt by an automaker to thwart valet joyriders, although it's not the first. The automotive website Edmunds.com says Hyundai and Mercedes offer "geofencing," a feature that sets a perimeter and then notifies the owner's smart phone if a car goes beyond it. Chrysler has a valet mode that caps engine speed and horsepower, while Audi lets owners limit engine speed for valets.
With the Corvette, once the owner activates the feature with a four-digit code, the touch screen tells the driver it's in Valet Mode. But it doesn't warn the valet that he's being recorded. The feature also locks the glove box and a storage compartment in the dashboard and shuts down the infotainment system.
Valet Mode started off as a performance data recorder for those who take their Corvettes on the racetrack. GM engineers quickly figured out that it had more uses.

"Think of it as a baby monitor for your car," Corvette Product Manager Harlan Charles said in a statement. "Anyone who has felt apprehension about handing over their keys will appreciate the peace of mind of knowing exactly what happened while their baby was out of sight."
Data and video from the valet mode can be viewed instantly by the owner on the car's 8-inch color screen when the car is parked, or it can be downloaded to a computer.
The system could go into more mainstream models if feedback is good on the Corvette, GM spokesman Monte Doran said.
The feature is paired with a navigation system and costs $1,795. A 2015 Corvette starts at just under $54,000.

Last edited by TSAF NKUF; 08-19-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Rdc996tt has a spectacular aura aboutRdc996tt has a spectacular aura aboutRdc996tt has a spectacular aura about
Saw this on Jalopnik. It's should be on just about every high end car. It's certainly not ground breaking technology.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:11 PM
kwp1911 is just really nicekwp1911 is just really nicekwp1911 is just really nicekwp1911 is just really nice
$1800, no thanks.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:07 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Ford has a feature on new vehicles equipped with the option - I forget what it's called as my wife has it on her new car - that allows the primary key holder to program max. speed and bluetooth options to keep teens, and other drivers (like a valet) from driving over a specific speed and limiting distractions. I don't need, or want, any of the babysitting options (like rearview camera, side hazard lights... I don't need any "help" driving and don't understand why the new generation of drivers do. If I was concerned about a valet, I wouldn't leave my car there.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:13 PM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
I like the system in the recently announced 707HP Dodge Challenger/Charger Hellcats that come with a Black key & a Red Key fobs. The Black key fob when used limits RPMs to 4k, locks out 1st gear & paddle shifters, limits HP to 500, & locks out the ability to change to any sport modes or options. The Red Key opens up all the fun...keep it far far away from a valet.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:42 PM
kwp1911 is just really nicekwp1911 is just really nicekwp1911 is just really nicekwp1911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by kwp1911
$1800, no thanks.
I said the same thing at first too.

But then I found out the this valet mode is just a component of the Performance Data Recorder package. It's essentially a camera and vehicle dynamics package for track driving.
http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...n=awdailydrive

You put an SD card into the slot and can video your laps, along with brake/throttle position, G meter, steering angle, etc. You can even watch it back on the car's monitor. Or you can put it in your compurter and watch it.

That is pretty cool and worth the $1800.

Last edited by kwp1911; 08-20-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:47 AM
ross_macdonald is infamous around these parts
Until your insurer demands the data to refuse a claim...

Old 09-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
My GIAC tune in my 997 has valet mode. I believe it limits speed to 30mph and revs to 4k.

They offer the same for the Cayenne I believe.