GTS Rims fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 02:58 PM
cayun is infamous around these parts
Unhappy GTS Rims fix

Hi Guys,

First post here. Recently purchased a 2011 Cayenne base 958 that was a lease return (previous vehicle was a 2004 boxster for 11 years). Previous owner didn't take very good care of the wheels on the cayenne. As you can see from the pictures, the clear coat is coming off and the aluminium underneath may be getting corroded.

I like to repair the wheels myself.

I like to get rid of the peeling and plastidip the face part of the wheels only. The inner spokes and inside of the wheel are painted gloss black and are in good condition so I don't want to touch that part at all.

I don't want to paint or powdercoat or get them machined. Plastidip first to see if I like them all black or use a gold metallizer.

My questions are:
1) What is best procedure of removing the peeling clear. I am afraid to use aircraft stripper which may strip the black paint on the side of the spokes even if the masking tape is on the side. Is it best to wet sand it using 600 grit?
2) Does anyone have pics of similar looking rims in gold face

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9389.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	520392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9390.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	520393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9391.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	520394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9392.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	520395  
Old 02-06-2018, 04:08 PM
TurboS957 is infamous around these parts
I would suggest having the wheels refinished by a wheel shop. The clear is also on the black, the corrosion will not come off under the clear that is on the machined aluminum easily without re-machining if your after the original appearance. It may be possible to refinish by hand but for approximately $100 per wheel it's not worth your time. Ask your local Porsche dealer, I'm sure they have encounter this before. If you do this yourself, please post pics of your refinished wheel and your technique.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:32 PM
cayun is infamous around these parts
I don't need the original machined look, which is why I am considering sanding it down and plastidipping it. My understanding is that by sanding it, I should be able to remove the clear and corrosion.

I will definitely post up the process and finished product.