Chicago A Regional 6speedonline enthusiast member group.

C5 to 996TT (O-Ace)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Pro Stock John is infamous around these parts
C5 to 996TT (O-Ace)

Awais, wassup. Here goes.

I think you had a modded C5 right, heads and cam or something right? Was it fast? I first wanted to establish your frame of reference.

So I have a few cars, but am getting bored of the stock 02 Z06 and am not interested to do internal engine work on this car, ie. like heads and cam or an aftermarket turbo setup. While it is fun, and it's a mid to low 12 second car stock, the fact is that the 02 Z06's interior is not much different from a 97 C5's interior.

So.....
1) Are all 996TT's AWD, and some guys Marski are disconnecting the front driveshaft, or are there two separate models?
2) How is the car for commuting, is the clutch nice or require a lot of effort?
3) Blind spots? How about with your wing?
4) How fast stock?
5) What is factory rev limit per gear?
6) How is it in the rain?
7) Is the car low stock?
8) Is the X50 worth it? Is that just a different trans?
9) Is the AWD a straight tracking car, is it tail happy like the older 911 turbos?
10) Is the shifting pretty intuitive, or do you have to consciously go up and over, know what I mean?

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:42 PM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John

I think you had a modded C5 right, heads and cam or something right? Was it fast? I first wanted to establish your frame of reference.

So I have a few cars, but am getting bored of the stock 02 Z06 and am not interested to do internal engine work on this car, ie. like heads and cam or an aftermarket turbo setup. While it is fun, and it's a mid to low 12 second car stock, the fact is that the 02 Z06's interior is not much different from a 97 C5's interior.

So.....
1) Are all 996TT's AWD, and some guys Marski are disconnecting the front driveshaft, or are there two separate models? let an coversion guy answer this one.
2) How is the car for commuting, is the clutch nice or require a lot of effort? Clutch play is effortless, I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in stop and go and go traffic but it is not the worst car to drive like that.
3) Blind spots? How about with your wing? No blind spots to speak of.
4) How fast stock? Compared to?
6) How is it in the rain? Very stable, have tracked mine in the rain and the PSM saved me numerous times without any drama.
7) Is the car low stock? ride height or price?
8) Is the X50 worth it? Is that just a different trans? X50 is different turbos and higher horsepower. Don't think it changed the tranny but I could be wrong.
9) Is the AWD a straight tracking car, is it tail happy like the older 911 turbos? Not tail happy at all and the AWD is seamless.
10) Is the shifting pretty intuitive, or do you have to consciously go up and over, know what I mean? Coming from a C5 Z06 when I bought my first turbo, you have to keep the revs up a lot more than you did in the Z06. The Vette had loads of torque down low where the Porsche will like to run at higher RPM's. Not bad just a different feel.

Thanks!
I posted these answers because I bought my first TT when I had my C5 Z06 so I can tell you the differences in drive when going from one to the other. Hope this helped.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks tblackj, I didn't know if any other folks had been previous C5 or C5Z owners... I understand what you are saying about revs, so taking it to like 3500 rather than say 2800 before shifting in moderate traffic...

Low I mean ride height, I have a basic feel for prices.

How much more do you guys think the X50 is worth, would you pay $5K, 10K, 15K more over a regular 996TT?

Old 03-23-2007, 02:38 PM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks tblackj, I didn't know if any other folks had been previous C5 or C5Z owners... I understand what you are saying about revs, so taking it to like 3500 rather than say 2800 before shifting in moderate traffic...

Low I mean ride height, I have a basic feel for prices.

How much more do you guys think the X50 is worth, would you pay $5K, 10K, 15K more over a regular 996TT?
In my opinion the ride height is more realistic on the TT than the Z. I scraped my Z everywhere I went but I go all over with my TT and never have a scrape.

I don't think the X50 is worth a large premium over the regular TT. With all the mods out today, it is easy to get a regular TT to X50 hp with simple plug ins. Now if you want to really do some modding, the X50 turbos are able to create more power with tuning, but I wouldn't pay over a couple of thousand extra for the X50.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:58 PM
O-Ace is infamous around these parts

It def. wasn't slow. Ran a 11.2 @ 126.9 MPH in the 1/4. 503 RWHP / 550 RWTQ.

So.....
1) Are all 996TT's AWD, and some guys Marski are disconnecting the front driveshaft, or are there two separate models?
All 996TTs are AWD. The 996 GT2 is RWD.

2) How is the car for commuting, is the clutch nice or require a lot of effort?
Clutch is feather light.

3) Blind spots? How about with your wing?
Wing doesn't effect the blind spots. Every car has a blind spot; I don't think the 996TT is as bad as some of the other super cars.

4) How fast stock?
If you get an X50 car, it's high 11's, low 12's stock. A non-X50 is mid 12's

6,800 RPM. Rev-limiter on mine is set to 7,500 RPM.

6) How is it in the rain?
It's AWD. It's great in the rain. It's pretty powerful though so you will spin all 4 wheels if you punch it in 2nd gear.

7) Is the car low stock?
Not really.

8) Is the X50 worth it? Is that just a different trans?
Bigger turbos & intercoolers, better exhaust and better trans. If you're buying used and you're not going to do crazy mods to the car, it's worth it, IMO.

9) Is the AWD a straight tracking car, is it tail happy like the older 911 turbos?
I haven't tracked the car. I would get a GT3 or GT2 for tracking.

10) Is the shifting pretty intuitive, or do you have to consciously go up and over, know what I mean?
Yes.

Thanks!
You can IM me on AIM if you have any other questions.

-Awais

Old 03-23-2007, 03:00 PM
X50 is a $18K option, so even if you figure in a 60-70% depreciation hit, it's worth around $7-8K on resale. If I was looking at two cars, and the only difference was X50, I would pay $5-6K more for the X50.

-Awais

Old 03-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Awais was that you in the black M3 like an hour ago had a blatty sounding exhaust on LaSalle?

So is the X50 less forgiving of a car, more likely to break the tires lose and require more attention?

Old 03-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Awais was that you in the black M3 like an hour ago had a blatty sounding exhaust on LaSalle?

So is the X50 less forgiving of a car, more likely to break the tires lose and require more attention?
Nope; I'm in Oak Brook right now. Suspension is the same on X50. I don't think it's THAT much more powerful over a Non-X50 that it would require extra attention.

-Awais

Old 03-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Do you roll around on DR's, how does the TT compare to the C5 for hooking on the street?

Old 03-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Do you roll around on DR's, how does the TT compare to the C5 for hooking on the street?
The AWD is tricky to launch; not as easy as the C5. I don't really drag race at all any more, so no DR for me.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:00 PM
club411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by O-Ace
The AWD is tricky to launch; not as easy as the C5. I don't really drag race at all any more, so no DR for me.
Only against m6's!

Old 05-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by club411
Only against m6's!
That was from a roll biatch! And when are we getting together for some runs on your super duper video camera

Old 05-25-2007, 10:48 AM
club411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by O-Ace
That was from a roll biatch! And when are we getting together for some runs on your super duper video camera
Sat I will set the video to SLOW - so it will make that snail of a car you have appear faster!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by club411
Sat I will set the video to SLOW - so it will make that snail of a car you have appear faster!
I just hope your camera has good ZOOM...I'm gonna be a mile ahead of you by the time your little turbos finally spoool

-Awais