Dyno Day (11.15.08)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:33 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
You're kidding me, right? You're telling me that some of the best test drivers in the world couldn't get 20 more seconds off their time? Even if their first time in the car was on the ring, there wouldn't be a 20 second difference. This is probably what I would pull, seriously 20 seconds is a looong time.

Listen, maybe you are misunderstanding what I am saying- I am not "hatin" on your GT-R, its very nice and has allot of power, I think technically it's one of the nicest cars around. However I do have some critiques, 1st the car is too big and heavy (despite its power), 2nd, I dont like Nissans handling of the traction control- dont give me a capability then tell me it invalidates the warranty (tell me you havent done this), lastly, a $20,000 clutch? Are you kidding me? I wouldnt buy one, but to each their own.

I'll close with this, I've had NSX's (4), S2000, 3555F1, Mustangs (3), Saleens (2) Supras (3) my current turbo and probably some cars I forgot about, its not like Im close minded or anti whatever- all I am saying is that when someone says their product can do X but cant be duplicated by others, then something stinks in Denmark. If you are too blinded by the love of your product to see this then it is what it is.

Back to your driver comment, any good driver can do a lap or two and have a very good idea whats going on with a car and be very close to best times, You'll have to sell crazy somewhere else, I'm all stocked up here :-)

Originally Posted by Ricky Ricer
You also have to realize it's a Porsche driver in a GTR. The driver did not have nearly as much experience as Nissan's driver behind the wheel.

Our GTR put down 428.1 WHP (corrected). Thanks Harv!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:36 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Now THATS funny-

Originally Posted by Prche951
all those 996 guys pussed out, I think they were afraid of the Lambo and GTR's

Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Actually as we all know, we were unsure of the dyno set-up...there were NO fans at the rear, the door had to be closed (due to noise)...so cooling would have been bad. Experience with our turbos was non-existent...and none of us wanted to be the guinea pig. I would have been happy to watch Chris or DC try it....

Old 11-16-2008, 11:54 AM
I would given you a ride home if your differential grenade'd, much easier than you giving me a ride home :-)

Old 11-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Ricky Ricer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
You're kidding me, right? You're telling me that some of the best test drivers in the world couldn't get 20 more seconds off their time? Even if their first time in the car was on the ring, there wouldn't be a 20 second difference. This is probably what I would pull, seriously 20 seconds is a looong time.

Listen, maybe you are misunderstanding what I am saying- I am not "hatin" on your GT-R, its very nice and has allot of power, I think technically it's one of the nicest cars around. However I do have some critiques, 1st the car is too big and heavy (despite its power), 2nd, I dont like Nissans handling of the traction control- dont give me a capability then tell me it invalidates the warranty (tell me you havent done this), lastly, a $20,000 clutch? Are you kidding me? I wouldnt buy one, but to each their own.

I'll close with this, I've had NSX's (4), S2000, 3555F1, Mustangs (3), Saleens (2) Supras (3) my current turbo and probably some cars I forgot about, its not like Im close minded or anti whatever- all I am saying is that when someone says their product can do X but cant be duplicated by others, then something stinks in Denmark. If you are too blinded by the love of your product to see this then it is what it is.

Back to your driver comment, any good driver can do a lap or two and have a very good idea whats going on with a car and be very close to best times, You'll have to sell crazy somewhere else, I'm all stocked up here :-)
You make a good point, and I will admit I am somewhat blinded by my love of the GTR. As the car sits right now, I think it is the best bang for the buck, even if you can't turn VDC off. I'm not saying the car is perfect, no car is. Hopefully Nissan will remedy the problem.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
You make a good point, and I will admit I am somewhat blinded by my love of the GTR. As the car sits right now, I think it is the best bang for the buck, even if you can't turn VDC off. I'm not saying the car is perfect, no car is. Hopefully Nissan will remedy the problem.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Ricky Ricer is infamous around these parts
Where are those pictures/videos Coop?!

Old 11-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
YAH and some pics. I knew the black GTR was faster than the white GTR

Old 11-16-2008, 06:05 PM
TheBoostCreep is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Actually as we all know, we were unsure of the dyno set-up...there were NO fans at the rear, the door had to be closed (due to noise)...so cooling would have been bad. Experience with our turbos was non-existent...and none of us wanted to be the guinea pig. I would have been happy to watch Chris or DC try it....
I had many fans available, and ambient temps were as low as 45F in the morning inside the cell. We had a very powerful squirrel cage and a fairly strong box fan, we used them on the Gallardo, and I have used them on many supercharged NSXes (12.7@108mph bandi) without a hitch, yet, I don't blame you guys for being reluctant to dyno.

Although I was instructed by Dyno Dynamics on the procedure to use the AWD setting, Tony set me straight on the simple removal of the shaft, there would have been no way for a front diff to blow in that mode. But I also understand the reluctance to let me touch the bolts of your cars, you guys don't know me from Adam. Most cars there were very valuable and it is the owners discretion as to what they want to subject it to.

Finally, ambient temps in the dyno will only rise by at most 15 degrees during a pull, and that is only with the side door closed and on cars making ridiculous power. By opening the door between pulls I am able to regulate the temps very nicely. Did anyone notice high temps? I actually prefer to tune under heavy load and high ambient temps. That way my customers are confident in the car's ability to deal with hot summers and going up these big rocks we live near.

I am getting another very powerful squirrel cage for the Audis as well as other cars FWIW.

Last edited by TheBoostCreep; 11-16-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by TheBoostCreep
I had many fans available, and ambient temps were as low as 45F in the morning inside the cell. We had a very powerful squirrel cage and a fairly strong box fan, we used them on the Gallardo, and I have used them on many supercharged NSXes (12.7@108mph bandi) without a hitch, yet, I don't blame you guys for being reluctant to dyno.

Although I was instructed by Dyno Dynamics on the procedure to use the AWD setting, Tony set me straight on the simple removal of the shaft, there would have been no way for a front diff to blow in that mode. But I also understand the reluctance to let me touch the bolts of your cars, you guys don't know me from Adam. Most cars there were very valuable and it is the owners discretion as to what they want to subject it to.

Finally, ambient temps in the dyno will only rise by at most 15 degrees during a pull, and that is only with the side door closed and on cars making ridiculous power. By opening the door between pulls I am able to regulate the temps very nicely. Did anyone notice high temps? I actually prefer to tune under heavy load and high ambient temps. That way my customers are confident in the car's ability to deal with hot summers and going up these big rocks we live near.

I am getting another very powerful squirrel cage for the Audis as well as other cars FWIW.

I will give away one free baseline session for a bone stock twin turbo 997 in RWD mode if there are any takers, you can even wait till Tony from EPL comes back. You may even remove the shaft before coming. We all wish to see what they put down for comparison to the GT-R. My bet is on the 997.
i'd take you up on that offer if I had a 997. But I have a 996 and a bad foot so I cannot drive. It does have a tune and hybrid K16's which are not big like the K24's and thus give me good low end power and loose some on the top end....if you guys can correctly disconnect my awd and guaranty me that you can put it back together correctly, I might be willing to find out what this old technology p-car can do

Old 11-16-2008, 07:15 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Harvey...Not reflecting on you personally at all..., but I did not want do the runs without my Indy there. JIC something went wrong, he would know what to do. Unfortunately you don't know our cars from ADAM. I'm sure you would be just as happy not having something go wrong with a $150K+ (with mods) car. I am concerned with the cooling, but perhaps you have a solution....I did not see it when I was there. FYI, I did talk to my tuner and Indy before considering the dyno runs, both suggested I check things out first. Perhaps another time. Thanks for your hospitality in any case!

Old 11-16-2008, 10:48 PM
TheBoostCreep is infamous around these parts
You are very welcome.

It was nice to just meet you guys.

I would never try to pressure someone into putting a car on our dyno. I apologise if that seemed like it was what I was saying and really just appreciated seeing all of those cars together.

I hope JDMDoriftoo posts up some badass photo shots soon.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:15 PM
JDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to all
Where are those pictures/videos Coop?!
I have a loooot of editing to do still. I shot some photos of Dave using the launch mode in his lambo for the first time today which was pretty cool too. I'll upload some stuff soon but this is a busy week being it is the week before thanksgiving.

As for the GTR vs Turbo debate, I really dont care which is faster. They are both awesome. I don't feel like Porsche test drivers not being to equal Nissan's times is a valid argument though. I mean when you think about it, what incentive does a Porsche test driver have to actually drive the GTR as fast as it can go? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the GTR usually do better then the Turbo in most of the car magazine tests also? I feel like the only evidence people are using to say the GTR isn't as fast as Nissan says it is are lap times from test drivers of the GTRs closest rival. There is one test however which is the end all, be all of automotive performance...which car was faster in the hands of THE STIG?! haha (Seriously, does anyone know?)

Last edited by JDMdoriffftoooo; 11-16-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:58 AM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JDMdoriffftoooo
...which car was faster in the hands of THE STIG?! haha (Seriously, does anyone know?)
for sure, has The Stig run it yet? I know they ran the 560-4 vs. the GT2 the other day. 560 won in the review portion (of course...Clarkson was comparing :-)), and the 560 even beat the Scuderia around the track, but pretty sure Stig got the GT2 around faster than the 560.
Anybody know if they have run the GTR yet?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by villains_turbo
for sure, has The Stig run it yet? I know they ran the 560-4 vs. the GT2 the other day. 560 won in the review portion (of course...Clarkson was comparing :-)), and the 560 even beat the Scuderia around the track, but pretty sure Stig got the GT2 around faster than the 560.
Anybody know if they have run the GTR yet?

they have run all the cars, but clarkson the *** who doesn't like porsche did not put the gt2's time on the board, so he burned the gt2's time slip. Which makes it obvious it smashed clarksons baby, the Lambo. He's such an *** but he is funny. I loved it when he picked the AMG and richard had the M3 and the M3 killed both the AMG and the audi around the track.

but who can argue with the GTR, it is fairly cheap compared to our cars and can stay with them and I think that in the hands of a novice may be faster due to compliancy of the platform. The 911 still takes someone who knows how to race 911's to squeeze the most out of it, even in the pro driver world, this is IMO. If you have never had an instructor show you how to drive a 911, you will see that there are little tricks to doing it, those same tricks apply to the ferraris and lambos to a certain extent, but they have their own tricks I am sure.

What really is a bummer for the GTR is that the cost of repairs is higher than porsche for a car that comes in at half the price. makes no sense. that is why I think we will be seeing second hand GTR's with voided warranty's going for very low money in a couple of years. Nissan screwed up with the tranny and they are not admiiting it. because of the class action lawsuits currently in place regarding the tranny, they will eventually make changes and improvements.

But for now if you have used launch control even once, your warranty is void..period. and if you blow the clutch, the cost of repair is $20,000 because you have to replace the entire transmission.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dyno Day (11.15.08)