So where's everybody going May 2nd? Park Meadows or Southlands??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Point2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to behold
I owned an Evo IV when I lived in Hong Kong. It felt more nimble than my IX. I also preferred the interior of the IV - nicer materials, didn't look as cheap.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Point2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gumba
Killing a Porsche 911 turbo on the highway for a 1/5 of the cost in a 4 door grocery getter = Priceless
Look out...

Old 05-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I have never really looked at Evos closely, as I was always someone who preferred Sti's, however, last year I was checking out the new EvoX's and the MR was really nice. I would have been tempted to buy it, but at $41-44k for it, that was kind of ridiculous.

Seems like Evo's tend to be faster than Sti's when both are built for equal bucks, but I do prefer the sound of Sti's engine better. The engine has a nice note to it.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:06 PM
RS4 Tom is infamous around these parts
When importing a car, there are two things to deal with. 1, getting it into the country. 2, registering it legally.

Both are relatively easy if you go through the proper channels(ie loopholes). If EPA/NHTSA/etc do not know of it, no worries. There are two glaringly big loopholes that no one checks or thinks of.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:13 PM
JDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Point2Point
Look out...
I was thinking the same thing

Old 05-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JDMdoriffftoooo
I was thinking the same thing

Old 05-02-2009, 12:53 AM
acs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond repute
Stock Evo VIII Used - $20,000
Built Engine Block - $4000
Built Drivetrain - $3000
Turbo Kit - $5000

Killing a Porsche 911 turbo on the highway for a 1/5 of the cost in a 4 door grocery getter = Priceless
I still rather own a slow & stock 996TT than your Evo.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by acs-3
I still rather own a slow & stock 996TT than your Evo.

remember he did say 911 turbo and he probably did mean the 930., but i'd even take one of those over the evo,

Old 05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned
Gumba is infamous around these partsGumba is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Prche951
Originally Posted by Prche951
remember he did say 911 turbo and he probably did mean the 930., but i'd even take one of those over the evo,
996 is actually 0.3 seconds slower than the FQ-400 Evo 8 in the 0-60 mph test.

BBC's television series Top Gear demonstrated that the stock FQ-400 could surprisingly keep up with a Lamborghini Murcielago around a test track. The Stig recorded a Top Gear Power Lap Times of 1 minute and 24.8 seconds, 4.2 seconds quicker than the Murcielago's time of 1 minute 29 seconds.[4] In a similar test conducted by UK supercar magazine evo, the Evolution was able to lap the Bedford Autodrome faster than an Audi RS4 and a Porsche Carrera 4S.

Crazy to think what a modified Evo can do huh? I'd love to see a 996 take on a 600 whp evo.

I won't even mention how much faster an Evo is over the 951 or 930 models

Last edited by Gumba; 05-06-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 AM
ldc
ldc is a jewel in the roughldc is a jewel in the roughldc is a jewel in the rough

996 is actually 0.3 seconds slower than the FQ-400 Evo 8 in the 0-60 mph test.

BBC's television series Top Gear demonstrated that the stock FQ-400 could surprisingly keep up with a Lamborghini Murcielago around a test track. The Stig recorded a Top Gear Power Lap Times of 1 minute and 24.8 seconds, 4.2 seconds quicker than the Murcielago's time of 1 minute 29 seconds.[4] In a similar test conducted by UK supercar magazine evo, the Evolution was able to lap the Bedford Autodrome faster than an Audi RS4 and a Porsche Carrera 4S.

Crazy to think what a modified Evo can do huh? I'd love to see a 996 take on a 600 whp evo.

I won't even mention how much faster an Evo is over the 951 or 930 models
You are missing the point, it maybe faster, cheaper, louder or whatever but at the end of the day you are still driving home a mitsubishi that will be worth $12k a year from now.

dc

Old 05-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ldc
You are missing the point, it maybe faster, cheaper, louder or whatever but at the end of the day you are still driving home a mitsubishi that will be worth $12k a year from now.

dc
$12K a year from now, if you find one that cheap let me know I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

As far as daily driving capabilities I'll take my AWD Evo over most porches any day of the week, at least I know I'll be getting home if it rains or we get hit with a foot of snow.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by ldc

dc

nope he doesn't get it.

you can make anything fast....case in point..a cleo beats Evo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPm-ZbZWuic

And here is the full top gear test. Is it fast yes, but watch the whole video. In top gear from a roll, a bread and butter sedan beat it because the turbo never spooled up in 1.7 miles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMIoQUCEvY

check this out. In the following videos a Civic crushes your Evo. So why don't you sell your evo and get a civic?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oZrF...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ-VGRAacf8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uGxeOCXvIs

time to sell your evo for the much nicer, better quality, faster Civic. of course not, there is more to the evo than just speed when compared to the civic. It has what? better overall design and engineering maybe? yup, same thing as the what we were saying above. A guy with an SRT4 or a Civic will look at an Evo Fq400 for 55k and say, "yoz wad duz I needs wid al dat, when fir 12k I can go fasta"

Anything can go fast if you want it to. Would I own an evo? yes, they are good cars. Would I take one over a 930 or better? no. Sure an Evo may be faster than a 930, but not by much. But the 930 has an appeal which goes beyond, just having a fast car. Same reason why people own Ferraris, Lambos, Vipers, M3's5's, AMG's, etc.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Banned
I get what you're saying, but to say a honda is going to be faster than an Evo is ridiculous. Maybe on the drag strip or from a rolling 50 mph on the highway, but that civic is gonna be fully built, sleeved and running a f-ing huge turbo. Take a car like that on a circuit course and it will get killed. Evo on the other hand is basically a project car straight from the factory. With only slight modifications like reworking the piping and upgrading the suspension and some tuning work you can get it to perform like a supercar. My buddy just took his Evo X to High Plains Raceway this last weekend and set the course record with 1:57 seconds for his class. The only real competition was some M3's that were built and a modified Z06. None of them could keep up. So is a civic to and evo like an evo to a porsche, not really when you're talking overall driving performance. But I can see what you're saying in terms of being able to make any car go fast. It is just a matter of $$$$ when building a car, but for a very small investment you can have an Evo with a lot of power and capable of performing with the likes of the 996 and Lambos. Does that make someone who owns a 996 want an Evo as a replacement, hell no, but it does prove that if you really are only into performance there's much better platforms for building a track car. Personally I can build two 600whp Evos that crush the 996 for the price of just one 996. If I'm taking some clients out for dinner I'd definitely rather have a porsche but for daily driving purposes and overall usability, I'll take the Evo. Well atleast until I can afford a galardo or McLaren F1. But for middle class dudes like myself I personally take the Evo over any RS4, SRT, STi, etc.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM
ldc
ldc is a jewel in the roughldc is a jewel in the roughldc is a jewel in the rough
Thats it then you talked me into an evo! As soon as i turn 16 i am getting one!

dc

Old 05-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ldc
Thats it then you talked me into an evo! As soon as i turn 16 i am getting one!

dc
Funny guy, but that's just the problem with these Evo's. You obviously do get 16 year olds who can afford them, and as a result they crash them all the time. I can't even tell you how many photos I've seen where a 16 yr old sends the car 20ft into a tree. It's awful and honestly just for safety issues alone no 16 yr old should get behind a 400 whp car no matter what. I'd be dead already if I owned this car at that age. Hell I've already put myself in a few situations that have made me think twice about having such a powerful car as my daily driver. Plus the insurance on these Evo's is crazy. It costs more to insure a f-ing Evo than it does for a new Z06. Nothing like throwing away $180 a month for insurance alone. Not to mention the oil changes every 2000 miles, tranny fluid every 5000 miles, transfer and rear diff every 5000 miles. The car is a constant drain on the pocket and not because it breaks down but because it's a f-ng race car that constantly needs attention. You start modifying and before you know it you're a boost junkie hooked on more power. You start out at 350 whp or whatever, that goes to 400 and so on till you realize you've spent $30K on aftermarket parts. This does become an addiction over time and you don't even realize it. Then again I can't tell you how much knowledge I've taken away from ownign this car. Like most DSM owners we like to do our own work. There's nothing more rewarding then building your own engine then taking it out on the streets and feeling the rewards. Working on a 4G63 is so much easier than working on something like a H4 or H6 like your guys porsches. I can change my spark plugs in about 15 minutes, when it would take a porsche tech 2-3 hours. It's nice knowing you can have the head off the car in less than an hour and be back on the road that same night. All in all for those of you who really do like getting their hands dirty and learning every part that goes into building an engine the 4G63 is a great platform to work on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So where's everybody going May 2nd? Park Meadows or Southlands??