So where's everybody going May 2nd? Park Meadows or Southlands??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:45 PM
acs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gumba
BBC's television series Top Gear demonstrated that the stock FQ-400 could surprisingly keep up with a Lamborghini Murcielago around a test track. The Stig recorded a Top Gear Power Lap Times of 1 minute and 24.8 seconds, 4.2 seconds quicker than the Murcielago's time of 1 minute 29 seconds.
Gumba, pull up your Evo in front of a nice club or fine restaurant next to a Murcie, who'll get the attention?

From your post above, looks like you'd still rather have the Evo than the Murcie

Old 05-06-2009, 04:58 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
YAWWWWNNNN!- morning guys, did I miss anything?

Who's the dude with the lipstick red evo?

Old 05-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I get what you're saying, but to say a honda is going to be faster than an Evo is ridiculous. Maybe on the drag strip or from a rolling 50 mph on the highway, but that civic is gonna be fully built, sleeved and running a f-ing huge turbo. Take a car like that on a circuit course and it will get killed. Evo on the other hand is basically a project car straight from the factory. With only slight modifications like reworking the piping and upgrading the suspension and some tuning work you can get it to perform like a supercar. My buddy just took his Evo X to High Plains Raceway this last weekend and set the course record with 1:57 seconds for his class. The only real competition was some M3's that were built and a modified Z06. None of them could keep up. So is a civic to and evo like an evo to a porsche, not really when you're talking overall driving performance. But I can see what you're saying in terms of being able to make any car go fast. It is just a matter of $$$$ when building a car, but for a very small investment you can have an Evo with a lot of power and capable of performing with the likes of the 996 and Lambos. Does that make someone who owns a 996 want an Evo as a replacement, hell no, but it does prove that if you really are only into performance there's much better platforms for building a track car. Personally I can build two 600whp Evos that crush the 996 for the price of just one 996. If I'm taking some clients out for dinner I'd definitely rather have a porsche but for daily driving purposes and overall usability, I'll take the Evo. Well atleast until I can afford a galardo or McLaren F1. But for middle class dudes like myself I personally take the Evo over any RS4, SRT, STi, etc.
better platform? than a 996tt? your nuts. Not even in the same league. The civic is to the evo what the evo is to the 996t. period.

Take a look at Nurburgring times. Pretty much every porsche made beat the evo around it. Wow what a great platform

get real dude.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
As far as daily driving capabilities I'll take my AWD Evo over most porches any day of the week, at least I know I'll be getting home if it rains or we get hit with a foot of snow.
500hp and snow tires? Yep not a problem here Hell I got through the last 2 on summer tires

Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Point2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to behold
I've been there and done that when it comes to Evo ownership. I had my first Evo in 1999. I do think they are fantastic cars for the money when it comes to basic entertainment and utility. When I was in my 20's I really enjoyed my Evo and was proud of the performance gains achievable with simple bolt-on mods.

I picked up another Evo in 2008. It was the Evo IX MR model with bolt-ons, coilovers, Volk Racing wheels. This time around the Evo didn't really do its thing on me. I still appreciated the performance, especially on track days, but the daily driving bit was not that great. Here were my issues:
The car didn't look right on me, now a guy in his 30's. I didn't like the attention it got from kids wanting to race at stoplights.
The Evo didn't make the right sounds. My car was loud but not sonically pleasant. A few times a year I get to enjoy rides in my friend's stable of cars in the UK. After enjoying WOT in a Diablo SV, F360, Aston Vanquish, and SL55 AMG, you really appreciate a multi-cylinder soundtrack.
The interior seemed low rent. The Recaros were great, but the switchgear, interior materials, fit and finish were pretty nasty. I'd owned two S2000s prior to the Evo and the Hondas felt more refined and built to a higher level of quality.

I'd still consider an Evo as an affordable, low maintenance toy car for the weekends, while driving something else nicer during the rest of the week. I just don't see it as the do everything car anymore.

It's also not the ultimate performance platform for a track car. Did you see how the Evo did in last year's Speed GT? It was embarassingly slow compared to the pace of the GT3, Viper, and C6 Vette. In amateur racing look at the SCCA T2 class where the Evo struggles against the Pontiac Solstice GXP. The T2 Evos are way off the T1 Vettes and Vipers in terms of laptime. Even if you look at the Top Gear times, the Evo is not the all conquering machine. the FQ-400's time of 1:24.8 is far behind the 997 GT2's 1:19.5.

I will say that the Evo is an extremely easy car to drive on the track. You don't really have to worry about throttle modulation - just plant your foot at the apex. It also understeers pretty benignly no matter how hamfisted you are with steering inputs. As such, you'll often see quick Evos at DE events.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I didn't really read this at first, but after some coffee ....

Gumba, I'll give you the benefit of a doubt of being a cool dude, but you're also nuttier that a walnut tree. You have what I call "GT-R vision", basically an infliction where people can't see reality past the front badge. The EVO, like the STi, SRT, GTi etc... is a neat car, but in reality its a riced up lancer. Capable? Sure, for what it is. My 996tt is also an incredible car, again, for what it is. It's not an F40, F40, Enzo, Zonda etc... PRCHE951 hit it on the head, what the civic is to your evo, your evo is to the 99xTT's.

Btw, you are right though, with time and money you can build to beat anything, however, a 1200hp Pontiac Bonneville Wagon is still...a 1200hp station wagon and costs probably less than half what you paid for your lancer.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 AM
RS4 Tom is infamous around these parts
I agree with the above post. I think EVO's are fantastic cars, but they are what they are supposed to be: boy racer tuner cars. Not everyone wants something that was once a WRC homologation car. Having driven most any car you can imagine short of a Veyron or Enzo, I have to give it up to the Porsche 911. By far my favorite car of all time. Reliable, elegant, and they get around in deep snow no problem. And they have what seems like a limitless number of variants for those with different tastes.

AWD or RWD? Check.
Turbo or non turbo? check
convertible or coupe? check

Plus what seems like 10,000 different options. Glass roof, chrono package, different wheels/trim/seats/colors/wings/brakes/transmissions/exhaust systems, etc.

If you really want to make an accurate comparision of a Porsche vs a Lancer, compare the equivalent models.

The Evo is the high spec tuner version of the Lancer. The 911 GT2 is the high spec tuner version of the 911. If you want to compare a Lancer to a basic 911 Carrera, make sure you're comparing the regular econobox Lancer, and not the Evo.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Banned
Gumba is infamous around these partsGumba is infamous around these parts
I agree with most of what you guys are saying, not all of it, but I can value what you're saying. I just like giving you porsche guys **** cause I know how crazy you guys get over your cars and how big of enthusiasts you are. It's the same in the Evo world just different sort of crowd of course. BTW it does get very old when every Import tries racing me on a daily basis, and I have to talk to every guy about the Evo just about eveywhere I go. It's funny how much attention this car does bring, but it's not necessarily always the type of people I like talking to. Then again I do get many older middle aged guys in their 4s trying to race me on the highway. At least you porsche guys look for a street race from time to time. I can't tell you how many Lambos, Maserati's and Jaguars that I see cruising at or below the speed limit. BTW most those guys are 55 years old and probably never got past 6K rpms. Well maybe I'll show up to one of these coffee and car meets just to meet some of you bastards in person.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I agree with most of what you guys are saying, not all of it, but I can value what you're saying. I just like giving you porsche guys **** cause I know how crazy you guys get over your cars and how big of enthusiasts you are. It's the same in the Evo world just different sort of crowd of course. BTW it does get very old when every Import tries racing me on a daily basis, and I have to talk to every guy about the Evo just about eveywhere I go. It's funny how much attention this car does bring, but it's not necessarily always the type of people I like talking to. Then again I do get many older middle aged guys in their 4s trying to race me on the highway. At least you porsche guys look for a street race from time to time. I can't tell you how many Lambos, Maserati's and Jaguars that I see cruising at or below the speed limit. BTW most those guys are 55 years old and probably never got past 6K rpms. Well maybe I'll show up to one of these coffee and car meets just to meet some of you bastards in person.

your always welcome. I do like evo's, but have steered away from them and sti's mainly because of the crowd they attract. Too bad, because they are both well engineered cars. I am liking the new Evo more than the new Sti, because it seems that the Sti is heading away from it's original design than the Evo is.The 2006-07 Sti is the last one I would buy and I prefer the earlier ones.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Banned
Gumba is infamous around these partsGumba is infamous around these parts
Old 05-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Smile

Interesting story-

I was very into NSX's for a while, in fact had 4 of them total, all heavily mod'd, let's just say I knew Shad / Comptech very well. Anyway, there were a few of us (all instructor drivers) in our mega mod'd NSX's tearing up the track at an event, this guy named Peter Cunningham (you may have heard of him) he gets in his rental, not only does he catch us, but laps us...yeah, in a rental with 1/4 the hp.

This really changed the way I looked at driving fast- there are really 2 elements, the car and more importantly the driver. Any idiot can have a fast car, (I have had my share) but not any idiot can drive a car fast, especially on a track. Just food for thought, but there are different reasons people are on the track, some are experts and can drive a POS very very well, others have a very very nice car and are just learning, which is usually the case.

If you really want to impress me with your videos, show me some with pros taking the cars around the ring. Walter Röhrl took a GT3 around the 'Ring in 7.42, Horst Von Saurma did it in 8.11 in a Lancer Evo IX, that is almost enough time to make a sandwich and have it half eaten by the time the Evo rolled in. :rollseyes:

btw, Röhrl did a 7.32 in a GT2 and 7.38 in a turbo.

In reality, we're a pretty good group of bastards who definitely enjoy our cars as more than a show piece...(there are a couple exceptions, but thats another thread).

Old 05-07-2009, 12:26 PM
RS4 Tom is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
Interesting story-

I was very into NSX's for a while, in fact had 4 of them total, all heavily mod'd, let's just say I knew Shad / Comptech very well. Anyway, there were a few of us (all instructor drivers) in our mega mod'd NSX's tearing up the track at an event, this guy named Peter Cunningham (you may have heard of him) he gets in his rental, not only does he catch us, but laps us...yeah, in a rental with 1/4 the hp.

Peter is a great driver! What a fun way to be "introduced" to him.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Very good driver, even after the racing body weight "adjusted" the Real Time Racing NSX several times, he was still kicking ***. He's a very cool dude in person as well.

Originally Posted by RS4 Tom
Peter is a great driver! What a fun way to be "introduced" to him.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
Interesting story-

This really changed the way I looked at driving fast- there are really 2 elements, the car and more importantly the driver. Any idiot can have a fast car, (I have had my share) but not any idiot can drive a car fast, especially on a track. Just food for thought, but there are different reasons people are on the track, some are experts and can drive a POS very very well, others have a very very nice car and are just learning, which is usually the case.

If you really want to impress me with your videos, show me some with pros taking the cars around the ring. Walter Röhrl took a GT3 around the 'Ring in 7.42, Horst Von Saurma did it in 8.11 in a Lancer Evo IX, that is almost enough time to make a sandwich and have it half eaten by the time the Evo rolled in. :rollseyes:

btw, Röhrl did a 7.32 in a GT2 and 7.38 in a turbo.

Yup, exactly........8.11 is not even in league with supercars. Good car for the money for sure. But those retarded links comparing is just some dudes with chip on their shoulders trying to say their evo is as good, because they can't own one. I'd like to own a Zonda, but that's not in the cards right now.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:19 PM
ldc
ldc is a jewel in the roughldc is a jewel in the roughldc is a jewel in the rough
I would just be happy to run into one of these "porsche killin evo's" on the denver streets. I would be curious to see how my "overly expensive slow porsche" would hold up.

dc

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So where's everybody going May 2nd? Park Meadows or Southlands??