Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

D.I. Water Bypass Attachment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 06:54 PM
FrankM is infamous around these parts
D.I. Water Bypass Attachment

Today I completed a bypass attachment for my D.I. water unit. It turned out well and is very easy to operate. There is no need to change hoses if you only want to rinse with D.I. water and wash with your tap water, which my tap water is soft and I prefer to wash with it. It's made totally of copper and brass soldered parts, about 50 parts in all with about 30 soldered joints.

It bolts to the unit using existing holes. The hose from your house spigot connects to the bottom of the attachment then you hook your wash hose or power washer to the top threaded coupling on the left side.

To get water from the house spigot you close the valve on the right and open the valve on the left. When you want to use D.I. water you open the valve on the right and close the valve on the left, this diverts the water thru the D.I. unit, it's as simple as that.

There is a check valve to assure that when your using tap water the water doesn't back into the D.I. unit from the exit piping. I made some threaded hoses to connect into the unit, kind of making it a universal fit and I didn't have to be exact on my measurements.

Attached Images    
Old 11-27-2007, 05:33 PM
SA
SA is infamous around these parts
I have been using DI water for years now in my detail business.

You should've made it from PVC pipe instead of copper and brass.

I have been told by the filtering company where I rent my tanks and read various websites on this subject, to not let DI water touch any metal. It will contaminate your water and leave spots.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:34 PM
FrankM is infamous around these parts
I was concerned with this.

Where I work we have a waste water treatment plant and process a couple million gallons of all types of water per day. We have an outside company operate the plant with an engineer on staff.

Our engineer said that a once thru system at 2 ~ 3 gpm with the small amount of piping involved wouldn't be a problem. He said that DI water, and any metal besides austenitic stainless steel, is a problem in closed loop heat exchanger where the water is constantly in contact with the metal, heated, and recirculated.

I've used it 3 times, twice on my black Cayenne and once on a silver car without any spots.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Nice job.....I like it!