Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Best polisher

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:36 PM
KandyRedCoi is infamous around these parts
mequairs sells a nice portable and a nice orbital type polisher from porter cable

typically rotary buffer should be used by Pros, since improper use could damage your paint

orbital is the way to go for home use

Old 12-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Grouse
It's not rocket quantum mechanics with nuclear physics tossed in for poops and giggles moe.

It is a process, a learned one at that. I think you are doing your potential customers a dis-favor by conveying that type of mentality. Is there more risk? Yes, is it a lot of risk? No. When used properly with commonsense a rotary is perfectly safe.

Not speaking at anyone in particular now.

As professionals i laugh at how some take it to extremes to make detailing so over complicated as to discourage owners from trying to maintain the vehicles themselves.

My largest customers do 90% of the detail maintenance themselves. I come out and get the cars to a point they can maintain it. I help them with their skills, and learning curve. For that i am rewarded by doing one of their 6-10 vehicles every month or so. I have even had one say he was fed up with detailers trying to blow smoke up his tail pipe. "Have they never heard of the Internet?"

My point is for me a guy who markets to enthusiasts of cars, and executives who own them the market is vastly different then it was a few years ago. At least for me I have a very knowledgeable customer who is as I am learning more on a daily basis. I simply have 1000 times the practice. Take the time to talk with your customers and discuss their detailing habits. You will find them more loyal, and more willing to pay your rates as they have a much firmer understanding of the process involved. You will also notice that on follow up visits you will find the vehicles in a much better condition.

m2ciawo2b
With all do respect, common sense has nothing to do with it. Most people have common sense and know how to brush their teeth; but that doesn't make them a dentist. And if your clients are encouraged to use a rotary, what do they need you for? Bottom line here is, there are some things left to a professional for a reason. Why a DIY would need a rotary and take the risk, is beyond me. I don't wash cars because of my schedule. Therefor, I've empowered my clients with the right tools to carry the torch after I've done what needs to be done. I can spend 2 days machine polishing and detailing a Ferrari F430 and hand it back to the client in pristine condition. I then give him the proper tools and techniques so that he can maintain the car. I'm not one of those detailers that has made the detailing process so complicated as to convey to the client it's beyond his/her skill level. On the contrary, I let them know how easy it is to care for their car once the foundation has been laid; hence all the MoeTips. The great thing about forums is that everyone can freely give their opinion; so you're entitled to yours as well Grouse.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
I'm just curious who in this post was recommending a rotary to the poster? He asked which one he should get and it looks unless I'm blind that everyone has recommended him to the PC or an orbital like the Flex Tool?

Remember guys this should be fun and if a person wants to step up to a rotary (at his/her risk) why not?

Old 12-13-2007, 03:32 PM
uzj100 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
With all do respect, common sense has nothing to do with it. Most people have common sense and know how to brush their teeth; but that doesn't make them a dentist. And if your clients are encouraged to use a rotary, what do they need you for? Bottom line here is, there are some things left to a professional for a reason. Why a DIY would need a rotary and take the risk, is beyond me. I don't wash cars because of my schedule. Therefor, I've empowered my clients with the right tools to carry the torch after I've done what needs to be done. I can spend 2 days machine polishing and detailing a Ferrari F430 and hand it back to the client in pristine condition. I then give him the proper tools and techniques so that he can maintain the car. I'm not one of those detailers that has made the detailing process so complicated as to convey to the client it's beyond his/her skill level. On the contrary, I let them know how easy it is to care for their car once the foundation has been laid; hence all the MoeTips. The great thing about forums is that everyone can freely give their opinion; so you're entitled to yours as well Grouse.
Wait a minute--you infer that retailers who sell rotarys to DIYers are irresponsible and you couldn't live with yourself if you did that. Then here you say you empower your customers, you seek to simplify the process so you don't have them think it's beyond their capability? ...."I let them know how easy it is to care for their car once the foundation has been laid".

A rotary is a VERY useful tool, just as a DA buffer is. To start with, assuming a person has no prior experience with either DA or rotary, of course the DA is the preferred choice. No, I'm not a pro detailer by any stretch of the imagination, but I have both DA and rotary polishers and I am careful with each one and I'm more than pleased with the results I get with each.

Call me crazy, but I'd say common sense has plenty to do with detailing, product and pad choice, application methods and ultimately, the results you achieve.

Knowledge is power. Why wouldn't you want to share your processes with your clients?

Old 12-23-2007, 11:21 AM
auto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to behold
I have a Festool,looking to to try the Flex orbital soon as i have heard good things about the machine