Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Clear bra question.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:06 PM
invncble is infamous around these parts
Clear bra question.....

So here is the story. I decided to get a clear bra on my Cayenne. It did good for about 2 weeks. One day I decided to wash it. Of course, since it was on the front of the car I had bug stains on it. After a little hard scrubbing it came off. That is when the first problem started. I realized that there were scratches on the actual clear bra. Apparently I had rubbed it too hard. So, I quickly go into the house and get on Google for a solution. I read somewhere that I can put alcohol on it to fix scratches. The article states that is will discolor but do not worry. Once it dries it will clear up. Big mistake. Then I have this spot on the hood that is discolored. So I have tried to fix this by using some over the counter plastic polishers. This has done nothing but make a bad situation worse. Now you can tell where I have been trying to rub the plastic because it is not as shiny as the rest of the clear bra.

Is there anything that I can do to restore the natural luster of the clear bra? Any suggested products? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:22 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i doubt it... basically, treat the clear bra like painted surface and never use abrasives or chemicals on it. talk to your installer to see if they'd offer you a discount on new install if it bothers you a lot.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by invncble
So here is the story. I decided to get a clear bra on my Cayenne. It did good for about 2 weeks. One day I decided to wash it. Of course, since it was on the front of the car I had bug stains on it. After a little hard scrubbing it came off. That is when the first problem started. I realized that there were scratches on the actual clear bra. Apparently I had rubbed it too hard. So, I quickly go into the house and get on Google for a solution. I read somewhere that I can put alcohol on it to fix scratches. The article states that is will discolor but do not worry. Once it dries it will clear up. Big mistake. Then I have this spot on the hood that is discolored. So I have tried to fix this by using some over the counter plastic polishers. This has done nothing but make a bad situation worse. Now you can tell where I have been trying to rub the plastic because it is not as shiny as the rest of the clear bra.

Is there anything that I can do to restore the natural luster of the clear bra? Any suggested products? Any help would be appreciated.
WOW!!! This has the making of a commercial Don't worry. Clear film can be pretty resilient depending on the manufacturer. What always gets me out of a bind is zymol HD-Cleanse. It's a true polish and paint cleanser. It just so happen it works great for clear film. It should bring the luster and shine back in the film and either eliminate the scratches or make them less visible. PM or call me if you'd like some.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Former Vendor
PRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant future
What type of film was used?

Post some high resolution close up pictures from different angles, please?

Old 12-06-2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will try to post some pics up either today or tomorrow morning. I am in NC and it is illegal to wash you car now due to water restrictions.

The film is it think Avery Stoneshield. Not sure. Here is the link from where I got it from www.tvpauto.com

Old 12-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PRFCNST
What type of film was used?

Post some high resolution close up pictures from different angles, please?
Welcome aboard Matt. For those of you that are in the NY area, Detailing Dynamics is hands-down one of the top detailing and clear film companies. I've know Matt and met up with him in Monterey this August when attending Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. He's top notch and great addition to our forum. Good luck Matt.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by invncble
Thanks for the replies. I will try to post some pics up either today or tomorrow morning. I am in NC and it is illegal to wash you car now due to water restrictions.

The film is it think Avery Stoneshield. Not sure. Here is the link from where I got it from www.tvpauto.com
Their site wasn't loading. If you have the Avery film with the clear coat, you may be OK. If the film does not have a clear, then it may have to be replaced. Pictures will help.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I use Menzerna Polish on mine pretty regularly. No problems. The scratches come out as if it was paint.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Grouse is infamous around these parts
I tend to go one of two polish routes depending on the severity of the damage.

First i will revers tape it, Then i will either use a AIO like Klasse AIO , JW prime, 1z metalic polish, apo 60 etc.

Or i will go to a true polish like po 85rd or Plexus/3m Plastic polish and cleaner then follow up with 1z glanz/fmj/swiss wax concours

Old 12-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Ok guys,

Here are the best pics that my camera would do. It is cloudy today so I had to turn the flash on to get anything to come out.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:18 PM

Old 12-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Grouse is infamous around these parts
I would actually try 85rd on a white finishing pad at about 1000 rpm. Or i would go with Plexus combo then apply my favorite sealant wax

Old 12-07-2007, 10:42 PM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
out of curiosity, how come there is so much orange peel on there?

Old 12-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by JimGT3
out of curiosity, how come there is so much orange peel on there?
What is orange peel?

Old 12-08-2007, 05:47 AM
Former Vendor
PRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant future
Matt is right next to me

I am Eddie

But thank you for the warm welcome.

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Welcome aboard Matt. For those of you that are in the NY area, Detailing Dynamics is hands-down one of the top detailing and clear film companies. I've know Matt and met up with him in Monterey this August when attending Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. He's top notch and great addition to our forum. Good luck Matt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear bra question.....